Cardio/one body part day Opinion Please

Shericbuck

Cathlete
Hello,

Any thoughts and/or experience with cardio daily/one body part weight lifting? Pros/cons, advise and results...Please. I am currently into week 3 of XTrain 30 day cardio + strength combined. I like this!!!!

Thanks, Sherry

I am also doing the same rotation (2nd time). Love getting a full workout without spending too much time with weights. I have definitely added muscle def. to my arms. I also sub in some runs especially when the cardio is repeated in the same week.
Sherry (too)!!

I personally prefer to have at least some cardio every day. I try to get in either lower body or upper body. I try to hit core at least 2x/week, even if its just 10 min. it helps. I don't feel well without the cardio. I tend to drag.

I just finished this rotation last week, and loved it! I did substitute To The Max and Crossfire on the Tabatacise days, just for a little variety - and added an extra core w/o here and there. I got great definition in my calves, and just felt leaner and more toned overall. Those pre-mixes with the burn sets built right into the cardio workout really made this one easy to follow too!

Glad you are enjoying it! I will definitely re-visit it, probably after the holidays.

I personally cannot do lifting + cardio in one session, back to back. For me, I have to put 100% into my cardio day OR strength day, not both. Reason being that my performance during one or the other, will surely suffer. If I do cardio before weights, then my weight training is a half-hearted attempt (the same with weight training before cardio). The only thing that I have been successfully able to do is a few minutes of jump rope (with an actual rope!) after my weight training session. However, I have done 1 body part/day (without cardio) and got excellent results.

But hey if it works for you then all the power to ya!

Take care :)

Short burst prior to lifting

Hi,

Just like Rapidbreath (I like your username BTW, It does reflect you interest/love for cardio ;) I prefer to have both cardio and weight on the same day.

I also prefer upper/lower body split (I do make sure though I don't do the same split every four weeks) rather than one body part. Reason being I still want to add definition. I likely meet my weekly target consisting of hitting each muscle regardless how busy I am. IMO one body part per week is for an individual maintaining the lean mass.

That being said I tend not to do *long* Hiit prior to lifting for reason mentioned above by Natasha. lifting performance suffers. What has worked for me is premix of 25 including warm prior to a lift session. This get my body into a fat burning zone and into anabolic state (which is recommended if you want to build more muscles). Result gained is mainly change in body composition.

That being said we all aim to gain various goal therefore our approach may differ.

Hope I have answered your question and wish you the very best;),

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.