Cardio Core Circuit Experiment

elsie3

Cathlete
Just in case anyone is interested:

I like doing the CCC cardio only premix and then the abs at the end. But I was curious which version would give me the greatest calorie burn--CCC as produced (circuit format) or cardio + abs at the end. And the winner . . . it's a tie! Comparing my results using a Polar F4, there was only a 4 calorie difference. Of course, this isn't a scientific comparison, as there are other factors at play, such as adaptation, effort, fatigue, etc., but it's good enough for me.

I did CCC cardio-then-abs on 2/25.
Duration: 0:51:08
Average Hr: 148
Max Hr: 172
Cal: 385

I did CCC as produced today.
Duration: 0:51:10
Average Hr: 146
Max Hr: 169
Cal: 381

I still think that doing the cardio first is harder for me, and thus better for my cardiovascular (and leg) endurance. But on days like today (week 4 of Meso 2 and the day after a leg workout) when I don't have that much pep in my step, it's nice to know I can still get as good a calorie burn from the circuit style.

Fascinating

Its always interesting what combinations give us the most bang for our buck. I get plenty of calorie burn from doing cardio then weights/strength, almost as much as just pure cardio. The difference seems to be just 100 calories.

Thanks for posting your results. I wouldn't have guessed it was the same. I guess the next question is, what is the effect on your cardiovascular endurance, whether one version or the other improves your body better.

Elsie

The first time I did this workout, I did the cardio and abs seperate, as sometimes the up and down makes me dizzy. It was HARD doing it this way!! The second time I did it as intended and found it much more doable AND I did not get dizzy.

It is great that you had the same calorie burn both ways.

This workout is on tap for me this week - now, which way should I do it this time?!

For those of you that do the cardio seperate from the abs, kuddos to you! I tried it and its just too dang hard. I look forward to those ab sections so i can catch my breath and lay down LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.