Cardio Coach for running vs. itread

marymac

Cathlete
I have the itrain monthly motivator plan for the last year. I own almost all the itread workouts, I want and they have not been adding new ones so frequently. I am thinking of canceling my itrain and going to cardio coach.

Can someone tell me the difference btw the 2. What cardio coach they would reccommend as the best for a runner. I love sprints and fast workouts, hills are good too. Anything challenging. I do like that itrain tells you how fast to go, and I think cardio coach tells you a level, correct?

Thanks for the input!!

Mary

CC is purely personal with regard to choosing speed. You go based on your perceived exertion and HR. It would be great for running, and all would be equally helpful to you...just go to cardiocoach.com and look up the details of each workout as they are varying lengths, the challenges very in intensity and length as well as hills/sprints/treks (basically fast hills). Since you run, have you ever tried Runervals? They are done by Coach Troy of Spinervals and are great too (they are DVDs).

Volumes 5 and 7 are very good for outdoor running. As for the difference between iTreads and CC -- one comment that I've seen frequently is that Coach Sean's timing is impeccable. If he says that a challenge (interval) is 2 minutes long, then it's EXACTLY 2 minutes long. Fitnessfreak has posted on this topic a few times. You might want to ask her about the differences between Grace and Sean. ;)

Mary - I have both (for running) and also like that iTrain tells you what speed/incline, etc to use. I like having targets to work towards.

Cardio Coach settings are based on your HR. So you have to figure out what your HR zones are and choose settings that get you into the right zone at the right time. It takes a little trial and error but isnt' that hard if you have been using a HRM and are familiar with your HR at various workout intensities.

Michele is right - Coach Sean is spot on with his timings while Grace isn't.

I like them both for different reasons and think it's good to have a mix. Coach Sean has a GREAT voice too. :)

Cardio Coach is based on Perceived Exertion or HR (or a combo). Some people do really well on PE alone, but HR works best for me.

What's really cool is doing a volume again and realizing that you went farther and faster than the last time you did that particular volume. I've run faster than ever with Sean encouraging me. I'm still slow compared to most, but Sean gets me motivated where the iTreads just don't do it for me.

April

I love the variety of having BOTH iTreads and CC. I choose CC when I need the inspiration, the coaching is excellant. I choose iTread when I want to push myself even harder because they do give the set speeds so I try to push past what I know I"ve done before (ie the jogger settings I add .1 each time I think I can do more). I'm hoping this helps increase my speed overall over time.

For cardio coach I love 5 and 7 for running. I am really getting into 8, I just flatten out the hills so I can run them if I'm wanting to run (especially in the 2- 8 min challenge ---challenge 2 I think).

Mary, I just noticed that the CC workouts are on sale! You get 50% off when you buy 4 or more downloads. This is a great offer so it's the perfect time to try the workouts. If you're interested in them for running, I'd definitely order Volumes 5 and 7. One of my good friends likes to use 4 as well. Volume 2 is great when you're short on time but you still want the intensity of the longer workouts. Let us know if you buy any and what you think! :D

Mary, I just noticed that the CC workouts are on sale! You get 50% off when you buy 4 or more downloads. This is a great offer so it's the perfect time to try the workouts. If you're interested in them for running, I'd definitely order Volumes 5 and 7. One of my good friends likes to use 4 as well. Volume 2 is great when you're short on time but you still want the intensity of the longer workouts. Let us know if you buy any and what you think! :D

Ooh-- thanks for the heads up! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.