Cardio before or after weight training

mpina

Cathlete
Maybe someone can tell me if it's better to do cardio before ou after weight training...

Today on my calendar is "Leaner Legs" but today I have more time to workout I decided to aldo do cardio. I was thinking LIC's "Cardio Blast Timesaver" but I'm not sure wether to do it before or after.

What are you're toughts?

It's really your personal preference. eons ago in running practice, we would always do lifting first, and it seem to make much difference to me. now, if i plan to do intense cardio after intense strength training, it usually doesn't happen, or i can't put as much energy into it. It also depends on your goals. which one are you trying to improve?

It's really your personal preference. eons ago in running practice, we would always do lifting first, and it seem to make much difference to me. now, if i plan to do intense cardio after intense strength training, it usually doesn't happen, or i can't put as much energy into it. It also depends on your goals. which one are you trying to improve?

Mostly I want to improve the cardio aspect but also want a more lean body, especially my abs

Mom418 is right.... It depends. It depends what your goals are. If you are looking to lose weight then cardio will be where you want to focus the bulk of your energy first while you have the most. If strength and building up your metabolism is more your goal then put the bulk of your energy on weights and strength training. You want to give the most of your energy to the one that benefits your goals more.:)

"I love the smell of fat burning in the morning!" i love that! really stuck out for me since i've been coming to this forum, since july.

I get this question from my clients all the time! Weights, weights, weights first if you have to do them together. Why? Done properly weight training will give you the cardiovascular benefits of a cardio session as well as building lean muscle...a win win!! Lean muscle mass means you burn calories 24/7...you can't get that benefit from cardio alone.
Secondly, it can be dangerous to lift weights after an exhausting cardio session where you are depleted of glycogen...the body needs time to replentish itself!!

Resistance training is the closest thing we have to the fountain of youth...I always make it a priority!!

I would say leaner legs first. When I was in college I had great results by doing my weight/circuits first then a 3 mile power walk after. I got definition doing that.

I recently heard a really interesting take on this question. It is generally thought that it takes about 20 minutes for the body to start burning fat as a fuel source. So if you do your strength training before you do your cardio your body will be able to utilize more fat as a fuel source while doing cardio. I haven't been able to find this in the literature, but it is an interesting theory.

Leaner Legs has a cardio aspect to it anyway. I love this workout--no downtime!! Do LL, then see if you feel like doing LIC. If not, maybe take a walk instead.

I would try it both ways (i.e. cardio/weights or weights/cardio) and take note of how you feel during the workout. How much cardio do you plan on adding with you weight work?

I have discovered that when do more than 30 minutes of cardio first, I struggle complete my weight work with good form. I always been curious if doing cardio first would improve fat burning, and perhaps I might have been pushing myself too hard.:confused:

I was trying to remember the "rule" on this one today because I had to move yesterday's weight work to today, and I was scheduled for a 5 mile run. Decided I remembered that it was better to do weights first because you'd have more energy. In the end, I did Gym Style Back/Shoulders/Biceps and then Core Max Medicine Ball.... then I thought about how hungry I was and blew off the 4 miles on the treadmill. LOL... oh well, I already got 15 miles in this week anyway. Suppose I COULD still do it, but I'm all showered.

If I was doing a leg workout, I wouldn't incorporate cardio at all, unless it was swimming. The only way I would do a leg workout on a day I ran is if I did the run in the morning and weights after work.

Hi,

I eventually did LIC's timesaver cardio blast and then Leaner Legs and it felt great!

I chose LIC because I was low impact. I didn't want to get to too tired before the weight training :)

I was a nice change...gotta shock the body ;)

I get this question from my clients all the time! Weights, weights, weights first if you have to do them together. Why? Done properly weight training will give you the cardiovascular benefits of a cardio session as well as building lean muscle...a win win!! Lean muscle mass means you burn calories 24/7...you can't get that benefit from cardio alone.
Secondly, it can be dangerous to lift weights after an exhausting cardio session where you are depleted of glycogen...the body needs time to replentish itself!!

Resistance training is the closest thing we have to the fountain of youth...I always make it a priority!!

Never really thought about it before, I think i have almost always done cardio first and then weights but this makes good sense too.

I have heard somewhere that is should be barbells before bikes. And I have also heard it is a personal preference and as long as your form will not suffer do whichever you prefer first.

I like what Jillian said about it being a win/win for weights first. I never thought of it that way but it does make sense.

I understand the arguments behind weights before cardio, but do you still think this is the best strategy for a Cathlete who has been doing both for 20 years if...
a.) the cardio may not happen if delayed, and if it does happen is less intense
b.) the amount of weight lifted has failed to increase much over the years
c.) protein intake may not be entirely adequate to support new muscle growth, and
d.) the main goal is to lose or at least stop the gain of body fat
????

(Of course the question to be asking is why are b. and c. not happening, but that is a different topic, and for now we have to accept that they are.)

I have heard all the theories out there and I know the "experts" say weights before cardio, always. However...

That's a hard and fast rule that is just crying out to be broken and I break it every time, if I am going to do both cardio and weights in the same session. Here's why:

1. The cardio warms up the body so that when I lift, I am not risking pulling a muscle and doing damage.

2. If I am doing both, I do not choose an all-out, balls to the wall workout like Drill Max or Intensity. Instead, I would do as the original poster did and choose the cardio from either the shorter CTX or 4 day split offerings or from a workout that has already taken into account the need to reduce the cardio because it is part of a circuit workout, like LIC, Cardio & Weights, etc.

3. When I lift weights, I go all out and I will never start a cardio session after weights, never. For two reasons: by then I am exhausted and I will have no interest in doing the cardio. You couldn't pay me to do cardio after weights.

4. I am not mentally able to do weights first, then cardio: I am mentally able to do cardio and then weights and do it every week. It works for me. I am able to do 40-60 mins cardio (powerwalk on high inline or 6 mile run) and then follow this with a full lower body resistance training session, plus core work. If upper body weights get into the equation, they are either a shorter upper body section that follows a shorter cardio or they are a part of a a total body all out weights effort at home.

5. A poster here suggests cardio tires the body out and then we can't put all effort into the weights that follow. True. And equally true is the reverse: when I do weights first, I do not have any energy to spare for cardio afterwards.

6. A poster here suggests cardio and then weights is the pathway to injury. Really? I suggest that the reverse is equally true, yet again. I cannot imagine doing the exhausting lower body workouts I do and then doing a 6 mile run. Pulled hamstring, twisted ankle, knee pain brought on by altered gait due to massive tiredness, all those would be possible. For me: run, then weights, is the safest option.

7. Let's not forget the enjoyment factor. If you hate your workouts and allow dread to get in there, you won't do them. Just the thought of starting cardio after weights disinterests me so much, I know I would not derive much enjoyment at all from my cardio. Cardio, for me, is the time to cut loose and work the kinks out. I can't do that after weights. What does your enjoyment level dictate?

So, either path can be justified. What matters to you? Do you need to always make sure that you are optimizing fat burn? Or are you able to be more relaxed about it and just accept that no matter which way you cut it, order it or combine it, if you do your cardio and your weights, separately, or together, you will be boosting that metabolism and ultimately improving your health.

Fat loss, maximum fat loss, this is not a goal for me. I don't need it. What I do need is the instant mood boost I get from leaping on the treadmill and starting my warm up and getting that first mile run and under my belt. After that, my mind is free, the stress is ebbing away and everything is possible. The weights session that follows allows me to push to the max because I have my run/powerwalk done and I'm feeling so much more relaxed, so much more mentally ready to focus.

Choose your own path, irrespective of what any "experts" might say. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Clare

You've already gotten some very thougtful and helpful replies and made your choice.

I used to be a perfectionist in my workouts which led to frequently just NOT working out. If I couldn't do it as produced then I just wouldn't.

Now I just work out for joy and the healthy feelings I get. I don't have weight loss or strength goals per se, my current motto is Just Do Something!

All that being said I have experimented with the 4DS series and putting the weights first. When I do that I feel like the cardio is a reward - it just feels so good to bounce around to the music after working hard on the weights. Makes it much easier for me to get to my workout if it's fun.

Just my .02 from a chronic exercise overthinker :p.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.