Carbs cycling Nutrition/Diet

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all safe not affected by bad weather.

I just would like to have anyone thoughts on carb cycling nutrition.

For those who have been on such program, have you cycled both simple carbs and complex carbs ( starchy carbs) in the same way or differently?

Hope to hear from your thoughts on this,

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Hi Nathalie,
Not an answer to your question, but:
Simple carbohydrate = sugar, white flour, fruit etc
Complex carbohydrate = vegetables and whole grains.

So pasta is simple, broccoli complex.

Were you thinking of carb cycling for weight loss? Or for another reason?

Justine

Hi Nathalie,
Not an answer to your question, but:
Simple carbohydrate = sugar, white flour, fruit etc
Complex carbohydrate = vegetables and whole grains.

So pasta is simple, broccoli complex.

Were you thinking of carb cycling for weight loss? Or for another reason?

Justine

Thanks for starting the discussion.

To reply to your question about reason, it's just an open discussion therefore it is for weight loss, maintenance and weight gain.

As to terminology I am going to re-phrase my post to avoid any confusion.

Kind Regards,

Hi, I star to use FDX2 is more vegetables and protein, I made some changes slow because it is not easy to give up at my sweet bread with cofee everymorning but I did after one week is a lot of vegetables I can't finish my plate but I try to eat half or more. One of this days I will do 100% to get my resoults, burn the fat and gain lean muscle.

carol: don't feel forced to eat animal products if they are against your beliefs! low carb is not the miracle diet and you can loose and maintain your weight being a vegetarian. Here is an article from another website discussing how to gain muscle and loose weight being a vegetarian Bodybuilding.com - 20 Tips For The Vegetarian Bodybuilder!

I hope this helps. But please don't force yourself to do something that you dread or don't believe in.

Thanks for the link to the Vegan body building article. I am not a vegan, but have been struggling with weight gain due to having knee issues the last few months. It has really stalled my exercise program, but I'm trying to make headway.

I was ready to post about saying "HELP!" what do I do??? But, I know the answers - clean eating and exercise. I just know I need to exercise to make the weight come off and I've been limited. Even bike riding affects the knee joint so going to the doc this week to see what's up. Until then, Aleve and Ibuprofen daiy.:(

Hi, I star to use FDX2 is more vegetables and protein, I made some changes slow because it is not easy to give up at my sweet bread with cofee everymorning but I did after one week is a lot of vegetables I can't finish my plate but I try to eat half or more. One of this days I will do 100% to get my resoults, burn the fat and gain lean muscle.

Hi Mariposa,

A lattee coffee in the morning is just something difficult to give up!
I suggest you make your own low calorie lattee. milk, water , a good espresso coffee and cinnamon. Honestly you do not even need sweetners:p

Also I suggest you make your own protein bars.;)

HTH

I don't foresee any issues with eating fish

Low carb does not mean that you have to eat meat. It means that you get the majority of your calories from healthy fats instead of carbs. So basically veggies are a freebie, you slather on fats (coconut oil, olive oil, walnut oil, avocado oil are all vegan choices.) Your low carb fruits would be tomatoes, avocados, squashes, olives.

Some low carb vegan protein sources: pea protein, lentils, even some of the fermented soy is ok (not ideal if you are estrogen dominant.) such as tempeh (organic of course!). Also, walnuts and almonds are good proteins that are not super high in carbs and walnuts are even a vegan source of omega 3s.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years. I have done probably every diet out there, slim fast, Protein Power, and even vegan. I personally discovered that having some fish made weight loss significantly easier. Pork didn't seem to help. Beef was ok. Commercial chicken was a disaster and made me gain. I do ok with organic chicken. I found that 'Protein Power' and South Beach were too high in protein for my kidneys, its just a genetic thing that I got from my Dad (my brother got it too.)

How low carb are you going? 20 grams/day? 45 grams/day? I find 45 to be doable but below that I had depressed metabolism and I gained weight. Its a ymmv situation.

It looks like your doctor is on the right track. Incidentally, I find that organic kefir is easy to digest. A good fish oil supplement can help with weight loss, or at least it does for me. It also helps with my dry skin.

I personally find that cashews, macadamias, and almonds tend to plump me. Why? I don't know. It just does. Also, corn oil and canola oil also plump me too. Coconut oil and olive oil are just fine. Btw, when it comes to coconut oil it tends to rev up my metabolism and I feel really warm, so its great for cold weather months and in the cold mornings.

Its so good to hear from you and how things are going on your journey. I also found myself gaining weight back when I was a vegetarian/vegan.

I saw this post which seems to have gotten off track...
I bought a cookbook today called the FastDiet Cookbook. Anyone tried this??? ( Basically the idea is you eat 500-600 calories of lean proteins/ veggies and fruit on 2 days of the week, and eat normally the other 5 days.) I guess that is carb cycling?
I am wondering if anyone has tried this. If so, which workout days were the ones you " fasted" on? Cardio or weight days?

I bought a cookbook today called the FastDiet Cookbook. Anyone tried this??? ( Basically the idea is you eat 500-600 calories of lean proteins/ veggies and fruit on 2 days of the week, and eat normally the other 5 days.) I guess that is carb cycling?
I am wondering if anyone has tried this. If so, which workout days were the ones you " fasted" on? Cardio or weight days?

AKA 5:2 diet - very popular here in the UK. A few of my friends have done it with spectactular results. They have rest days on the fast days (none of them are what I'd call serious exercisers).

Justine

5:2 Fast diet off topic

Hi Everyone,

This thread has gone way off the topic.

Few clarification:

• 5:2 aka Fast diet consist of eating "normally" for five days and fasting eating low calories about 600kcal for 2 days
  • Carb cycling consist of changing the carb ration to high and low depending on activity level. This method is for very experienced athletes.

Now here is some info about carb cycling:

Calorie and Carb Cycling: Breaking Through Your Diet Plateau | Breaking Muscle

Now should you have tried carb cycling in the past please share your thought.

I would really appreciate input RELEVANT to topic please.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
My sincere apologies for veering your thread OT, Nathalie. I've deleted all of my posts and for those of you who quoted me, feel free to do the same. Carry on.....

Last edited:
My sincere apologies for veering your thread OT, Nathalie. I've deleted all of my posts and for those of you who quoted me, feel free to do the same. Carry on.....

Carol,

Do not worry. you did not need to delete them. It happen often that thread go off topic.

I intended to remind the purpose of the thread rather than "to lecture" everyone;):D. Please carry on with the discussion should you need to. I am sorry if my post came across as too harsh.

I could have commented if I had knowledge about vegetarian lifestlyle. Please again no worries;)

Kind Regards:cool:,

I bought a cookbook today called the FastDiet Cookbook. Anyone tried this??? ( Basically the idea is you eat 500-600 calories of lean proteins/ veggies and fruit on 2 days of the week, and eat normally the other 5 days.) I guess that is carb cycling?I am wondering if anyone has tried this. If so, which workout days were the ones you " fasted" on? Cardio or weight days?

Hi Linda,

5:2 fast diet and carb cycling are two different concepts:

5:2 aka Fast diet consist of eating "normally" for five days and fasting eating low calories about 600kcal for 2 days
Carb cycling consist of switching ratios to high and low depending on activity level. This method is for very experienced athletes (including bodybuilder).

I have not tried any of them. I bought a 5:2 cooking book. Not that I am intending to do it. The book contain less than 300kcal good recipes. At this time of the year, here in UK, Diet book are on sale every where:D:p. The offer was too good to miss.:)

Last edited:
I have used carb cycling in the past and am currently on a lower carb, higher fat & protein plan. I find that I do well with my carb intake (simple & complex) between 60-100 grams most days. If I am doing some extreme training I will go higher. My first experience carb cycling was with something called "Natural Hormonal Enhancement", Rob Faigin's Natural Hormonal Enhancement carb cycling diet book
It was very effective, but a little too hard to follow. It was just a little too extreme for me. Now I prefer a more moderate approach.

I will say that as I got older, especially late 40's, I became more sensitive to carbs in general and using a lower carb eating plan has helped me stay in shape.

I have used carb cycling in the past and am currently on a lower carb, higher fat & protein plan. I find that I do well with my carb intake (simple & complex) between 60-100 grams most days. If I am doing some extreme training I will go higher. My first experience carb cycling was with something called "Natural Hormonal Enhancement", Rob Faigin's Natural Hormonal Enhancement carb cycling diet book
It was very effective, but a little too hard to follow. It was just a little too extreme for me. Now I prefer a more moderate approach.

I will say that as I got older, especially late 40's, I became more sensitive to carbs in general and using a lower carb eating plan has helped me stay in shape.

Thanks Judy,

I'm slightly sensitive to carb too and need to keep it minimal.
Great input :):):) will look at the book. I need to know more about carb cycling.

Ps This Book is for me Judy thanks so much ;-)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.