carbs and the rest of the world

>Let us not forget the French Paradox. The French eat more
>saturated fat but have less heart disease.

Re: the French paradox. When I lived iin France for a year, I noticed that people didn't walk around eating candy bars, or even snack that much between meals. Most people walked a lot, and processed food was minimal. Unfortunately, that may be changiing.

Also, I heard recently that the French may not have as low an incidence of heart disease as previously thought. The statistics may not be correct, as "cause of death" on French dead certificates is often listed as "natural causes" when one dies of a heart attack.

It's not just food. The Americans are drinking too many empty calories. You constantly see somebody with a giant cup of soda or a French Vanilla Coffee walking by. That is what's making people fat. I always said that the Supersize Meal doesn't make you fat, it's the Supersize Drink that does.

The bad thing is that the American Way of Life is very cool for Europeans, so give it a few years - they'll be as fat as we are.

The French do have a lot of courses for their meal but they are real serving sizes. If you choose cheese, you only get one ounce, if you choose a dessert, it's usually only half a cup. And their famous daily breads are just made with flour, yeast and water - no sugar, milk, fat etc. added.

This 'eat as much as you can mentallity' of the Americans is just pigish (is this a word) and watching some people eat at those 'all you can eat buffets' makes me sick because they do not show any restraint.

Be moderate in everything you eat and drink and you won't get fat.

Ditto fitmamma and Allison. We just plain eat too much and don't move enough. So, do you think when I do an intense Cathe workout and then eat a bag of jelly beans that this might sobotage my efforts?:eek: ;)

>This 'eat as much as you can mentallity' of the Americans is
>just pigish (is this a word) and watching some people eat at
>those 'all you can eat buffets' makes me sick because they do
>not show any restraint.
>

Yes, we're a nation of "super sizers," as if bigger is better (bigger cars--SUV's--bigger servings of food, etc.). American's have also been programmed to not waste food (the "clean your plate" club), and to always look for a good bargain, two things that make buying super size portions, and eating them, very common. (And the appeal of the "all you can eat" buffets). Today's restaurant portions are at least 2-4 times what one should actually eat. And unfortunately, much of it is quantity over quality.

Several years ago, I worked as a translator/interpreter for a Belgian couple who came to the US to attend an awning convention (he was the company's rep in Europe). When we went to a restaurant, I could tell they were appalled at the size of the servings. Probably enough for 3 people in a European restaurant.

One of the first things I noticed when I moved here from Europe was the size of the portions in this country. They are huge! Also, in American restaurants, they encourage fast eating. They are almost shoving the check at you to get you out the door. In Europe, it is perfectly permissible to spend 3 hours savoring dinner. I honestly believe we scarf down so much food "on the run" that we don't receive the pleasure that comes from truly savoring our food. It's easy to take in a good number of calories by eating on the run.

The low carb thing really bothers me particularly in relation to the amount of low carb processed foods on the shelves. Junk food is junk food whether it's low carb or not. The sorbitol in the low carb bars and candies is very bad for you. Portion size of carbs is the key. A serving is 1/2 cup of rice not 2 or 3 cups. Combine that 1/2 c of rice with a portion of lean meat or vegetarian alternative and a bunch of veggies with a piece of fresh fruit for dessert and you have a balanced meal that provides vitamins, minerals, and the right amount of the macro nutrients and it won't make you fat. I am a reformed chubbo and have now successfully maintained a 55 lb weight loss for over 2 years. The whole key was eating less, cutting out the junk, and moving around more.

I don't have much to add except that I think it's all about portion sizes. I was talking to an Italian visitor who was horrified by the gi-normous plates of pasta served here. He was used to having a small portion of pasta as one course, to be followed by meat or fish. He couldn't believe that we ate such huge amounts.

I agree that it has a lot to do with portion sizes. My brother's wife to be is from Poland. She told me that she can't believe how big the portion sizes are here in America. My brother has been to Poland many times in the last year and said he hasn't seen very many over weight people there and portions sizes are very small there.

Joanne

Here is something else to consider, Preservatives, I know when I have a meal full of preservatives I get bloated, lethargic,can not consentrate, nor can I carry on a conversation. And 1 hr. after meal I am craving food again and then the cycle starts all over again.

There is a new term floating around:

Globesity!

Apparently, it's a worldwide epidemic.

Here's cut and paste that I took off an article on the web:

"Americans are not the heaviest people in the world. For example, 34 percent of American women are obese, nearly identical to the rate in Bahrain, Paraguay and Malta, according to IOTF estimates. But Pacific Islanders have the world's highest obesity rate - 75 percent among Samoan women.

What alarms IOTF and the World Health Organization is that three in five people in the world are not active enough to benefit their health. While planners in the United States envy European cities as models of active, pedestrian-friendly environments, some already walkable world cities have discovered the only way to pry people out of their cars is not with friendliness, but with force.

This year, the World Health Organization is pursuing grander and more aggressive goals than any imagined by American planners. Convinced that nagging individuals to eat less and move more won't work, it aims:

To stop the worldwide trend toward cheap, mass-produced processed foods.

To encourage the food industry to voluntarily alter advertising, pricing, labeling and marketing of junk food on a global scale.

To get people moving any way possible.

Driving the more urgent moves is the growing number of obese, unfit children. In the United States, 15 percent of elementary school children are overweight. But in countries like Egypt and Mexico, 25 percent are. Worldwide, one in five children weighs too much.

The other worrisome milestone: For the first time in history, the numbers of overweight people and underfed people in the world are equal. As is true in the United States, the poor are most at risk of obesity in developing and wealthy countries worldwide.

With nations now tied together by trade, pop culture, business and technology, and fast food, lifestyles in every country are looking more and more similar. But it is likely not just fast food and soda that are making the world fat. It is the spread of Western-style impatience.

"Americans say, enjoy today, don't wait for tomorrow. We want to eat now, we want the free refill of lemonade, we want to earn income now, we don't care how stressful our life is, or if we won't save, or if we die young," says health economist John Komlos, professor at the University of Munich in Germany. "They say, 'What do I care what happens 30 years from now?'"

Patricia

>"Americans are not the heaviest people in the world. For
>example, 34 percent of American women are obese, nearly
>identical to the rate in Bahrain, Paraguay and Malta,
>according to IOTF estimates. But Pacific Islanders have the
>world's highest obesity rate - 75 percent among Samoan women.
>

I've read about an "obesity gene" that certain populations have that makes many of them tend to get very fat if they stray from their traditional way of eating. Maybe the Samoans have it? There was a show on PBS about healthy eating, and Alan Alda (the host) visited some tribe of Indians who have the obesity gene. They prepared some traditional foods for him (amaranth leaves, cactus buds, mainly plant foods), but unfortunately for their waistliines, they don't eat it that much any more.

Had to jump in on this one. I think any kind of diet restriction is ultimately a sabotaging element (unless health issues are involved) to a persons diet. If you restrict, watch out when you go "off the wagon". I try to pay attention to how my body feels when I eat. I don't want to give up anything but I know if I eat alot of sugar or carbs I may crash - and I hate that feeling. That's what keeps me from overindulging.
Remember the "fat free" fad? How many people gained weight by eating low or no fat?;-)

It's a marketing tool -- Low carb this, low carb that. Show them the $$$!

Bottom line: Too much food makes you gain weight. Eating when you're not hungry makes you gain weight. Eating after your satisfied makes you gain weight.

I am sort of liking the low carb craze because it is creating more sugar free options....sugar is something I am trying to avoid, and having more, better tasting low sugar items on the market really helps. Also the protein bars/shakes are better than they were...and help me get my extra protein in on days when I am too busy to broil a chicken breast.

Just my 2c
Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.