Car shopping--need advice

Hey, My husband said if you decide on a Nissan, he can get you a discount — even on a lease. Let me know, and I'll IM you the discount code.

we always get what we want. We figure we will have the car for close to 10 years if not more and I want to enjoy what I get. I don't like small cars as I like to have room around me.

We did look at the Vue the last time we went car shopping back in 2003 but didn't get it. We are kinda looking now but at the upper class cars. We really like the Lincoln MKS but have been looking for over a year now.

I would say get what you want as it is a big investment no matter what the cost is.

Rhonda

No advice on leasing since I've never leased a car. Just another rave for Saturns. I had the SC-2, then the VUE and now have the Relay - no problems with the previous models just had to get larger cars as our family grew ;) I have actually had a couple of people stop me to ask how I like my Saturn since they are considering picking one up (hopefully cheaper) since it has been discontinued. There are no issues with service either since our local Chevy dealership honors the warranty/service.

my plan

my only advice to you is to consider a car to buy, and pay it off in 3 years, drive it for several more, while keep making car payments to yourself and you will never ever have to finance a car again. I have been doing this for 20 years...and dont knock hyundai's

OK, I know that once you've fallen in love, you don't want to hear anything bad about the object of your affection...but my advice would be OMG DON'T BUY THE LIBERTY!!

My company got a Jeep Liberty at the exact same time I bought my little Toyota Yaris. I bought the Yaris because I'm poor and I needed an inexpensive, fuel-efficient, reliable car and I got a fabulous deal on it. I never expected to fall in love with it. But I have. It's awesome. It's a 2009, and I've put 35K on it, and it's only needed oil changes. It averages 41 mpg even though it's advertised as getting 36 on the highway. It drives like a rocket even though it's got something like 106 horsepower. It rules.

Meanwhile, the Jeep Liberty, which is the exact same age as my Yaris, with 1/4 as many miles on it (it's still under 10K), has been in the shop 6 times. Once to fix the power windows, twice for something wrong with the brakes, once for randomly stopping and refusing to start again on the highway, once for a leaky a/c, and once for a totally messed-up electrical system (flickering lights, headlamps suddenly going out, etc). Sure, it could be that we just got a lemon, but a Google search of "Jeep Liberty Reliability" shows that these problems are really, really common among Jeeps. Plus, I hate driving it. It might be good for off-roading, but it's clunky and it fishtails like the dickens if the road is wet at all.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't trust the Liberty's cheeky smile. True love happens when the car is there for you.

RAV4? Subaru? Honda CR-V? I've never met anyone who said "I chose the Honda Civic and I really regret it." There's a new Nissan coming out - the Juke - that looks adorable and funky and sporty. For almost 25K, you could do a lot better. JMO.

OK, I know that once you've fallen in love, you don't want to hear anything bad about the object of your affection...but my advice would be OMG DON'T BUY THE LIBERTY!!

My company got a Jeep Liberty at the exact same time I bought my little Toyota Yaris. I bought the Yaris because I'm poor and I needed an inexpensive, fuel-efficient, reliable car and I got a fabulous deal on it. I never expected to fall in love with it. But I have. It's awesome. It's a 2009, and I've put 35K on it, and it's only needed oil changes. It averages 41 mpg even though it's advertised as getting 36 on the highway. It drives like a rocket even though it's got something like 106 horsepower. It rules.

Meanwhile, the Jeep Liberty, which is the exact same age as my Yaris, with 1/4 as many miles on it (it's still under 10K), has been in the shop 6 times. Once to fix the power windows, twice for something wrong with the brakes, once for randomly stopping and refusing to start again on the highway, once for a leaky a/c, and once for a totally messed-up electrical system (flickering lights, headlamps suddenly going out, etc). Sure, it could be that we just got a lemon, but a Google search of "Jeep Liberty Reliability" shows that these problems are really, really common among Jeeps. Plus, I hate driving it. It might be good for off-roading, but it's clunky and it fishtails like the dickens if the road is wet at all.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't trust the Liberty's cheeky smile. True love happens when the car is there for you.

RAV4? Subaru? Honda CR-V? I've never met anyone who said "I chose the Honda Civic and I really regret it." There's a new Nissan coming out - the Juke - that looks adorable and funky and sporty. For almost 25K, you could do a lot better. JMO.

Ah see this is where leasing is a blessing! I wouldn't have to pay a penny for any mechanical problems (other than tires). The dealership is about a mile from my house. And I do love that cheeky smile! LOL!

I'm not knocking Hundais--like I said, if I can't have a car I love, I don't much care what it is. As long as it's not a PT Cruiser. :D

I agree with Afreet. I wouldn't get the Jeep because they are not known for their reliability or their resale value. For those same reasons i would never purchase a lot of other makes either but everyone has their preferences. You mentioned you are leasing so perhaps these points won't matter much to you though.

You did mention you are on a budget, so i'm not sure why you would want to go from a Mazda 3 to a Jeep Liberty. You will be spending a lot more on gas.

I'm a Honda girl and i would recommend them to anyone. I have a 2009 Civic Coupe which is very affordable, it's great on gas, and a great ride. Before that, I had a 2003 Civic Sedan that had almost 200,000km on it when i sold it last year to a guy i work with and it's still running great. I've also driven an Accord and an Acura Integra that my ex husband owned and had zero problems with those. They are great cars so if you are looking for an SUV, i'd recommend you take the CRV for a test drive.

You always see older Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans on the road because they are good cars. I wouldn't lease a car with the amount of driving i do but even if i did, i would want something reliable since I don't want to have to bring it in to the shop all the time.

Ultimately, if you have your heart set on the Jeep, no one will change your mind.;) Take one for a test drive and see if you like how it handles.

Happy Shopping! I love shopping for new cars. I would buy a new one every year if i could,

I'm not too worried about gas prices. I wanted a hybrid more out of principle than anything else. I live a mile from work, & 2 miles from the gym. Other than trips to the mall & to see friends, I don't do much driving. I spend about $30 a month on gas right now. I'm willing to bump it up to $40 for a car I really love.

ButI keep waffling b/c of the cost--if I could save myself $100+ a month on a car payment, I don't think I could sleep at night if I went for the more costly purchase. Honestly, I've never had such a gut wrenching time trying to decide what to buy! Mostly b/c I was always forced to buy a Mazda. :p

OK, so I'll check out the Honda & Nissan too. Stephanie, thanks so much for the offer, is that code good through the EOY?

Stephanie, thanks so much for the offer, is that code good through the EOY?

I believe so. Just let me know when you decide on a Nissan -- if you even decide on one -- and I'll email it to you. I think it's always good. It's not really a coupon, per se. BTW I'm no salesperson... DH receives nothing from this. It's just a company perk he gets -- friends and family discounts. And I was just throwing it out there. Don't make a decision based on it. Go with your gut. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.