Can't keep my butt on the ball

Sass

Cathlete
I did Gym Style Legs for the first time yesterday and I love it except for all the pulsing going in it. Ha! But I am having trouble staying on the ball and this is with all of the DVDs I've done with Cathe so far. Before Cathe I was working my core three times a week and I'm still doing it, but I'm still off balance.

Anybody have any tips and tricks as to how to stay on the ball besides building up my Core which I'm in the process of doing with the help of Cathe??

Thanks in advance!

What particular moves are you having trouble with? Just sitting on the ball in general?

You could work on your stability separately from your workouts. Just use the ball as a chair for a few minutes at a time to develop your core and your balance. Start with your feet wide--for a bigger base of support and more stability--then gradually move them closer together as you improve. When you feel stable enough, lift one foot off the ground (start with still leaving that toe on the ground, and progress to lifting the entire foot off).

HTH!

I've also noticed that making sure you have lots of air in the ball provides greater stability, especially with exercises like pikes. Over time the air has a tendency to slowly leak out and you don't really notice it......until you pump it back up.

I've also noticed that making sure you have lots of air in the ball provides greater stability, especially with exercises like pikes. Over time the air has a tendency to slowly leak out and you don't really notice it......until you pump it back up.

Hmmm...I actually find that having a slightly softer ball gives more stability (because more of the ball's surface is touching the floor and the foot can sink into the ball a bit, also covering more surface area). A hard ball makes the move more challenging because there is less surface area touching the floor, and the foot is touching less of the ball.

(And this answer sounds slightly nasty, doesn't it? LOL!)

Your logic certainly makes sense, but I guess to each his own. For some reason I find it more stable with more air. Go figure.....:confused:
Maybe you should try it both ways and see if either way makes a positive difference for you.

Angie

There are also different sizes of ball. Make sure you have one that matches your height. I'm short so I know my ball has to be smaller. By the way LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gym style legs it is one of my all time favorites!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.