Cannot see video

seapd33

Cathlete
sorry if this has been asked before,but I purchased the AV adapter and the HDMI connector to watch the video on my TV from iphone. I could not see the video, only audio. Can someone help??????????

Suzette

The AV Digital Cable is an Apple brand, but the HDMI cable is not an apple brand. When I called Apple support, they told me that I need Apple TV which I don't want to get . I will check the apple website for Apple brand HDMI cable and see if that works. This is my first download and I was so disappointed when I saw no picture :(

Suzette

Hi Suzette,

Many third-party manufacturers will not tell you that the cables they manufacture will not work with newer Apple products. All of the official Apple A/V cables for their newer products contain a chip which must be present for the video and/or audio to play correctly. Apple does not manufacture an HDMI adapter for any device except the iPhone 4S and iPad2 at this point (Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)), so any third party product is not going to work, or will work with limited functionality. It seems greedy of Apple to do this, but it is their way of providing products that "just work" as they are supposed to. When third parties attempt to circumvent Apple's tech specs for a device, this is when the problems happen. Unfortunately, if you don't have an iPhone 4S or iPad2, Apple is correct in telling you the only way to connect your iPhone to a TV is through AppleTV. Or, if your TV has the "quickly-becoming-antiquated" composite or component connections, you can use the AV Digital cable that you mentioned.

Thanks for responding Curt,I do have the iPhone 4S and that's the AV cable I bought, but the HDMI cable wasn't an apple brand. I ordered a HDMI cable and a composite cable from the apple store. I will pick it up tomorrow and see which one works

Suzette

Apple cables

You shouldn't have any problems with the cables bought from the Apple Store, but let us know how things go? On the internet you will see a lot of cables that appear to be "Apple Brand" cables, but they're not and lack the propitiatory chip that will allow you to transmit video from an Apple device to a TV. Always order cables directly from the Apple Store and not independent websites. There just too many sites selling fake cables to trust anyone else.

Last edited:
ok, just returned from the apple store and plugged the HDMI cable to the AV cable and IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :). Thank you for your help..........off to finish IMAX3

Suzette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.