Canadian Birthday Tradition????

sancho

Cathlete
My daughter (who is in the first grade) came home from school yesterday with a Canadian flag. She told me they were learning about Canada. I asked her what she learned. Among other things, she told me that it is a tradition in Canada to put butter on your nose on your birthday (so the bad luck slips off). I totally thought she made it up, but I emailed her teacher and she confirmed the story.

Okay, seriously, is this for real? Does America have any traditions that Canadians think are strange??? (not that there's anything wrong with putting butter on your nose).

ROTFLOL - I have NO idea where that "tradition" is from, but I am a Canadian and I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Maybe I spend too much time cleaning my igloo and attending to my dog sled to be up to date on such things ;)

I have celebrated 38 birthdays without once putting anything on my nose:) I would really like to know where that story came from.

I really don't think that Canadians and Americans are very different. Most of our traditions are similar because of our roots - all our ancestors are from all over the world. The only thing that I could say I noticed was that Americans are much more "into" Thanksgiving than we are. It seems to be a more celebrated holiday than it is here.

Thanks for the chuckle,
Corrie

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.
--Aristotle

Come on Corrie, get your head out of your igloo and join the birthday fun!

Well, I don't want to question the teacher any further because I don't want to be insulting . . . although, she is spreading "vicious" rumors about our northern neighbors.

Thanks for responding. If there is any Canadian that has heard of this, please let me know.

I'm Canadian as well and have never heard of the butter on the nose.Can you ask the teacher where she got her information? Kim

Another bewildered Canadian here, when we were kids we'd give birthday spanks plus one for good luck, a punch so you eat your lunch, a pinch so you grown an inch....(maybe American Kids do/did it too, dunno...) putting butter on anyone's nose never crossed our mind, sounds kind of strange really. I think we Canadians need to alert Rick Mercer to this vicious rumour, he'd have a heyday with it }( :+

Take Care
Laurie:)

I'm another Canadian that has never heard of the butter on the nose thing. I'll be 45 on my next b-day. I'd also like to know where the teacher found that out. I think I'll do a Google search.
Michele

You are too funny GreenEyedLefty :7 :+ I love the brand of political/social humour dished out by Rick Mercer, Jon Stewart and (yet another Canadian) Steven Colbert.:D

Take Care
Laurie

I live in Michigan and Canada is a wonderful neighbor. Or, as you spell it, "neighbour." :) I tune into Canadian TV as often as I can.

I'm a Candian, of Scottish heritage, turning 40 on Tuesday and I've never heard of anyone putting butter on their nose. We used to give the bumps (which doesn't happen anymore)...I don't think I could sit for a day after the enthusiastic bumps on my 13th birthday. A pinch to grow an inch was very enthusiastically followed when I was a child (might account for me being 5'6" by the time I was 13. The only thing I've seen on the birthday boy or girl's nose is icing if they dove into their cake enthusiastically.

Oh that's hilarious!!! 100% Canadian, I am, and never heard of such a thing.

Laurie - you're absolutely right that Rick needs to be put on the case! Email the link to the RMR website. BTW, Colbert, I'm pretty sure, hails from the southern US (unless that's just another fictional part of his 'character', but I'm pretty sure it's not). DH and I get a big chuckle out of his Ontario Hockey League shinanigans.

Samantha Bee, now she's a true Canuck!

Cheers,
Sandra

Sandra, I LOVE Samantha Bee. I had no idea she was Canadian! Her husband (Jason Jones) is hilarious as well.

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.