can you overlift?

deanna

Cathe
I read somewhere that if you lift weights for over 45 minutes in a single weight lifting session that it will cause your body to store fat. The article I read states that you should warm up with abs for no more than 15 minutes. Then lift weights for 30 minutes and then do at least 45 minutes of cardio. It also says that the reason cardio plays a role at the end of your work out is that you burn all your sugar or glycogen levels while lifting weights and then when you start cardio you imediately burn fat from the get go, not after 20 minutes.
I am very curious to know if this is true as I teach step class at a local gym. we have different classes including a pump class which is working your entire body with weights for 60 minutes.
Thank you for all the fitness tips that we get from watching you.

I am not Cathe but the part about doing cardio AFTER weight training IS true.

As far as your body storing fat if you weight lift for too long in a single session...I'm not so sure about that...sounds like a bunch of baloney to me, LOL, but let's see what Cathe has to say. She's the expert after all!:+

Weightlifting BEFORE cardio? I have always wondered which way to go and most dvds out there is cardio first then weights? I would like to hear Cathe respond...

I have always read that whatever you have a harder time doing, whether it be cardio or weights, should be done 1st so that you get it done.
I agree that even in dvd's, cardio is usually always first.

For men, 45 min. is the limit for weight training because their testastrone level drops significally. The reason why they want you to do cardio after weight training because cardio burns glycogen. Weight training doesn't really do that all that much. It depends on the person. If it works better for you to do cardio then weight training, then by all the means, do it. If it's reverse then keep it that way. Don't fix what ain't broke. For me, I do cardio first before weight training but I tell my clients to do WT first before cardio. Some experts prefer for people to do 30 min weight training first then 15-20 min of HIIT 3-4x a week, that's it. It all depends on what your goal is and what you're aiming for. I personally feel whatever works better for you. For some people, cardio does store too much fat for them. Mostly because they don't do HIIT or moderate cardio.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I just woke up and it's 5:30 am. :)

Lisa

>I have always read that whatever you have a harder time
>doing, whether it be cardio or weights, should be done 1st so
>that you get it done.
>I agree that even in dvd's, cardio is usually always first.
>
That's what I do & that's my philosophy for a couple of reasons. First, burning fat is what's most important to me & a necessary evil. Weightlifting is the fun part. So rather than exhausting myself with weights first I get the cardio out of the way & save the weights for a "treat." ;-)

Also, I always thought that you increase your heart rate/metabolism with cardio & then keep burning fat w/weights right after.

On the other hand, if building muscle is more important to you then you should lift weights first so you're not too tired from cardio.

Jeez, if this is wrong then I've been doing it wrong for years. Cathe, please help!

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Does anybody have any info about not doing more that 45 min. of weight training because it causes your body to store fat?

I typically do a 60 min. weight lifting session 1 - 2 times per week.

Hi, not Cathe, but I have some info. Working the muscle during lifting peaks after 35 to 45 min. After this your body releases cortisol to feed it. But you need to think of cortisol as a little pig. It stores loads of fat. Don't forget muscle feeds on fat which is why we lose fat and build muscle. Ask your doctor for a better explanation.

The best way to get more info. about doing weight training/cardio for more than 45 min. is to talk to a CSCS certified trainers. They're very knowledgeable. Craig Ballantyne and Alwyn Cosgrove comes to mind. You can go on their websites to get info. Ballantyne's website is www.turbulencetraining.com and Cosgrove's website is www.alwyncosgrove.com. You could also go to a local university and see if they have any coaches or trainers that are CSCS certified. Warning: Ballantyne and Cosgrove are anti-establishment. A lot of women don't care for them very much but I tend to agree with them on many, many things. Some women have said they lost more weight when they cut back on cardio to half an hour. It depends on your body. I do believe if you do too much cardio, it can cause you to gain weight or the body hold your water very well.

Hope you can find some info. you're looking for.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.