Can intense cardio cause swelling?

M

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

This month I'm doing your January '06 Fat Loss rotation (LOTS of intense cardio)to shock my system and, hopefully, burn some fat off of my legs. I just finished Day 4, and it's been very challenging. I'm feeling pretty good about keeping up with it, but, the only thing is, my legs are feeling BIGGER, not leaner. It's almost like they're swelling or something. My ankles have been really puffy, and there's just an overall tight feeling in my legs. Do you ever experience this? Could I be dehydrated? I've been trying to drink exra water, but maybe it's not enough? Maybe it's just my body saying "I don't like this rotation"? I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you have.

Thanks,
Linda

P.S. Can't wait to see ya' this summer at the Road Trip!

Hi Linda! Any time you start an entirely new rotation its normal for your body to swell as it acclimates to the new exercise selection, frequency, and duration. It should subside after a week or so. Also, drink extra water to help flush out the by products and aid in the recovery. My legs swell initially after a new workout too. I purposely won't put on my jeans for the next four to 5 days after the workout because I don't want to be discouraged by how snug they feel. Good news is that its a sign of progress and better yet....its temporary:7

Linda! Haven't "seen" you in ages & wanted to say hello.......I can't wait to see you this summer too!

P.S. my extremities--especially my fingers--swell sometimes when I do cardio, especially in the morning & when it's humid. Don't know what the physiological explanation is but if it helps you're not alone. :)

I do the same thing with my jeans! After a hard workout, you feel great until you discover your favorites are tighter than usual.
My solution? Wait it out and wear a cute skirt or wide leg jeans!:)
Cathe is right about that one!:)
Oh, and my hands swell as well, but like Cathe said, it is only temporary!

Thanks, Cathe (and everyone), for your words of wisdom and encouragement. It's funny you brought up the whole tight jeans thing. That's exactly what happened yesterday, and what instigated my question. I was really bummed when I could barely pull my jeans on! (Today I'm wearing loose pants:)) Now that you've made me feel better, I'm more psyched to keep going with the rotation. Today was Imax3, and it actually wasn't too tough. Thanks again!

Linda

Hey Laura! Yes, I'm here; I'm just "invisible". Thanks for the hello. Looking forward to seeing you too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.