Can anyone recomend a good fiber supplement

Well, my new hubby,great on fitness,typeA with the associated IBS, started mixing psyllium husks(and I mixed in about 30 percent ground flax) in water and chugging it each morning, which fixed his IBS entirely!

I use a heaping spoonful of psyllium/flax and another one of chia in my yogurt/fruit mix every morning and that works well.

Psyllium/flax/chia - great on bulk, cheap and some extra omegas too...

chia seeds have done wonders for my digestion! Plus they keep you full longer and really help with appetite control. Just make sure you drink plenty of water with them.

I use BeneFiber - it's tasteless. Mix it up with some water, & down the hatch! You can mix it into anything - food, liquids, etc.

two solutions:

1. Add 1/2 a c. of plain psyllium powder to a brownie mix, add an additional egg or more apple sauce. Then bake as usual, and enjoy! It makes them very tasty and filling. Be sure to drink extra water and understand that the powder retains fluid so you will weigh a little heavy on the scale, but don't worry its just water in the bowel.

2. Nature's Path Smart Bran is a great alternative to horse pills. Be sure to drink plenty of water with it.

Chia seeds, huh? Never heard of them. I won't get a plant in the shape of a head growing in my small intestine, will I? ;) I'll check it out, thanks.

Trying to avoid psyllium. It's a laxative (the main ingredient in most laxatives & cleanses, in fact). I'm trying to go the natural route. But fiber supplements are HUGE and you have to take them like all day long. Trying to avoid that too.

Another vote for flax and chia = smooth sailing!:eek::eek:

I add a tablespoon of flax seed in my smoothies and let the blender grind it up. Or I grind up a tablespoon and add it to my steel cut oats or yogurt. Chia is super versatile. It is also good in yogurt and oatmeal.

My easiest chia favorite is to put 2 T in a bowl, section a grapefruit (plus squeeze the extra juice out of the rind) on top of it, mix it together and let "gel" for about 15 minutes. It's great pre-workout or pre-meal.

Fiber recommendation

Hi! My husband and I use Optimum Nutritoin Fitness Fiber, that you can get from Gnc or online at bodybuilding.com. It is a powder that you can mix with any liquid and has no flavor. It is a blend of different fiber types. This way you won't get excess gas or cramps, like I got before with pyslium, and you don't have to drink excess water and worry about choking! I use it 3x a day and am REGULAR now! Good luck!

Chia seeds, huh? Never heard of them. I won't get a plant in the shape of a head growing in my small intestine, will I? ;) I'll check it out, thanks.

Trying to avoid psyllium. It's a laxative (the main ingredient in most laxatives & cleanses, in fact). I'm trying to go the natural route. But fiber supplements are HUGE and you have to take them like all day long. Trying to avoid that too.

That made me friggin' laugh so hard!!!

Nothing beats good old fashion All Bran Buds, IMO anyway. 1/2 cup of that stuff and you get a HUGE amount of fibre. I know, it looks like rabbit food, but it keeps everything running smooth (if you get my drift).

Hee. Yeah, my husband was like "is that like the chia pet?". Yup, it is actually the same thing but now they are finding it's a "superfood" too.:)
I read about it in Oxygen magazine. You can find a lot of information online about it, too. I get Bob's Red mill brand. I like to put it in my smoothies and sometimes with my yogurt and granola. We even tried it with french toast the last few weekends. Yummy! :D It's nice because it makes you feel full but not bloated like a lot of other fiber supplements. I love flax seed too but you have to grind it up and use it fairly quickly or it goes rancid. Chia seeds keep much longer without going rancid...although if you store your flax seed in the freezer it keeps longer. HTH!

Pure wheat bran.... it looks like pencil shavings. I mix it into oatmeal. start with a tablespoon or two, that will probably be enough. Add boiling water. You may need to microwave the bowl for another minute or two depending on how "done" you like oats, and on how coarse the oats are.

You can also mix bran into cold cereal or a smoothie if you prefer, but I think it works best and is least noticeable in oatmeal. It's cheap, readily available. I hate pills. I didn't like metamucil, fiberall, and OTC bran cereal is not up to the task. it doesn't cause bloating or flatulence as far as I can tell. It's not a laxative, but a bulk agent.

I vouch for chia seeds in my smoothies and also Metamucil helps my IBS!
I must say that having a smoothie every day with 2 carrots, 2 apples, chia seeds and 1 cup of spinach has done wonders!!!

Last edited:
OK, based on responses I will try the chia seeds. If I can mix them with anything I'll just put them in whatever I have for lunch--usually a salad. Thanks again ladies! I knew I could count on you for great info!

They're great! Just don't forget to drink lots of water if you are going to eat them dry. Just like any fiber supplement, you can actually cause intestinal blockage if you don't drink enough water with it. Good luck!:)

Fiber One 90 cal bars (yeah yeah, they are processed food), but they are tasty!!!! Between that and a spirulina capsule every morning, plus lots of water, life is good :)

I have been hearing a lot about chia seeds and was actually holding them in my hand at the store the other day, but was not quite sure how to use them. So basically just sprinkle into smoothies or onto yogurt? Other ideas?

I don't take a fiber supplement, but I do take one pro-biotic pill a day and it does wonders. It's also an immune system booster (since it restores the good bacteria in your gut). I've been surrounded by sick people for the past three weeks and haven't had so much as a sniffle. Great stuff!

Shelbygirl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.