Can anyone help me with...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
VERY dried cracked heels??? to the point whereit is painful to walk on? I hope this doesn't gross anyone out. But I gets cracks that are very deep and very sore. I have tried almost every cream out there...no good. Had been to a foot dr for another problem and he didn'tknow what to do about the cracks. Would love some advice... Thanks

Is it possible you may have a foot fungus? The fungus that causes athlete's foot can also cause painful heel cracks. I would recommend you see a dermatologist and find out what's going on.

Stebby

I feel your pain.. This is what I did.. I used a pedi egg 2x per week (on dry feet so not after you get out of the shower) and I applied Amlactin XL lotion every night when I got into bed and slept with soft socks on. Sometimes I also applied Amlactin XL in the morning after my shower.

I don't know if you have ever used Amlactin XL, but it can be quite expensive (about $30), but I found it to be excellent. Not only for this issue, but I use it on my whole body at times.

Good Luck!

Linda

Barielle

Another product that gets my vote is Barielle's Total Foot Care Cream. This company's roots were in creating products for horse's hoof care! They have a nail strengthening creme that has worked wonders for my fingernails. I've found some of their products at Ulta, but you can order directly from them online.

Lisa

OOOhhh! I'm gonna try that!

Another product that gets my vote is Barielle's Total Foot Care Cream. This company's roots were in creating products for horse's hoof care! They have a nail strengthening creme that has worked wonders for my fingernails. I've found some of their products at Ulta, but you can order directly from them online.

Lisa

I make the best lotion that does wonders. DH is a firefighter and his hands were terrible (add firefighter to cold MN winter and it was awful). After I started making this lotion he started putting in on his hands at night and putting socks on his hands when he sleeps. The cracks have not come back (and it has been a decade). No other lotions ever worked for him.

I have to run, but when I will post the recipe this afternoon.

I'd recommend seeing a dermatologist also just in case there is a root cause not allowing your feet to heal.

I didn't have as dry of skin as you do (no DEEP cracks) but I use vaseline (petroleum jelly). I first put a layer of Neosporin (triple antibiotic kind) on and then a huge glob of vaseline and then thick socks. I will do it in the morning and at night (and at night I also put a pair of gloves on my hands).

It feels like I put way too much vaseline on but I glob it on and by morning it is almost 100% soaked in (none gets on my sheets). It is cheap also - 99cents for a tub. Neosporin is a few bucks but I only put a thin layer of that on.

Good luck.

I'm an avon rep, and we sell lots of specialized foot lotions. (My favorite is the callus cream.) But they might not address such a serious problem.

BUT, I've become quite a fan of coconut oil lately... I not only cook with it but also rub it on my dry hands and it's fantastic. Maybe try slathering some of it on and sleeping in some socks to lock in the moisture?

Everyone's got some really good suggestions for you and I agree, it might be best to go to a derm to get it checked out. I've got one other suggestion too...a few years ago there was a skin expert on Dr. Oz and she recommended getting Stridex Pads and applying to heels every night before bed then slather on a thick skin cream (it was one in a tub, can't remember the name) then put socks on. She said the salacylic (sp) acid in the Stridex pads would get rid of the dry, cracked skin.

Everyone's got some really good suggestions for you and I agree, it might be best to go to a derm to get it checked out. I've got one other suggestion too...a few years ago there was a skin expert on Dr. Oz and she recommended getting Stridex Pads and applying to heels every night before bed then slather on a thick skin cream (it was one in a tub, can't remember the name) then put socks on. She said the salacylic (sp) acid in the Stridex pads would get rid of the dry, cracked skin.

That's awesome! Got to get some stridex pads! I think maybe the cream she was talking about is Eucerin cream. We love that stuff! I had forgotten about it! Wal-Mart sells a knock-off of it that is super cheap too!

Corn huskers lotion (which they sell at Walmart) is good for really dry or irritated skin. It's a really weird consistency but it works.

I also got a double sided pumice thing on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pumice-Two...58SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305241900&sr=8-1) that works amazingly well. I put soap on it in the shower, then use the course side once a month and the smoother side once or twice a week. It works really well to keep the skin smooth.

I also got the pedi-egg and couldn't get it to work at all. I felt like I was just scraping my feet with my fingernails. Is there a trick to it?

lol..The only thing that was suggested to me was to make sure your feet have no moisture on them when using the egg. They need to be completely dry. It works great for me :) I get lots of dead skin off... (I know... gross!)

Corn huskers lotion (which they sell at Walmart) is good for really dry or irritated skin. It's a really weird consistency but it works.

I also got a double sided pumice thing on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pumice-Two...58SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305241900&sr=8-1) that works amazingly well. I put soap on it in the shower, then use the course side once a month and the smoother side once or twice a week. It works really well to keep the skin smooth.

I also got the pedi-egg and couldn't get it to work at all. I felt like I was just scraping my feet with my fingernails. Is there a trick to it?

That's awesome! Got to get some stridex pads! I think maybe the cream she was talking about is Eucerin cream. We love that stuff! I had forgotten about it! Wal-Mart sells a knock-off of it that is super cheap too!

Yes, the Eucerin cream that's the one. The Stridex pads work great. I use them when my heels get dry and it makes my feet nice and soft after just a couple nights :cool:

My favorite discovery for my feet is Bag Balm. It's about $8 for a tin, and you can get it at most pharmacies. Sometimes it's behind the counter. It's medicated, and is actually used up north on cow udders to keep them from getting cracked and dry from cold weather. It is wonderful on cracked heels! I put it on before bed and put some socks on. My feet are baby soft.

Thanks Everyone...some great suggestions! Since I have tried almost every cream out there...and pedi egss, etc, I think a call to my dermotologist is in order. I did hear of the Stridex pad thing and did try it...Thanks again everyone!

Okay my suggestion may seem a bit out there but my younger daughter (age 9) gets really bad cracked feet so much that she has trouble walking on them. This occurs most often during the winter months but this is my solution and it works for her - I remove all dairy from her diet. She doesn't normally have much dairy on a regular basis because she gets skins rashes etc. but skim milk powder, milk etc.. is in so many pre-made foods that I completely eliminate them and her feet clear up everytime. I removed dairy from my diet about 15 years ago 'cos of eczema, extremely dry scalp, red inflammation along hair lines etc... and all that cleared up instantly. I threw out my tar shampoo and no more cortizone cream!

so that's my suggestion. we use almond milk instead of regular milk and goat cheese instead of regular cheese. good luck.

Here is my favorite recipe for lotion/cream. It is so good that most people I know have made it a time or two. I know the prospect of making your own lotion is daunting, but give it a try (at least you know it is chemical free). When I am making this I usually quadruple the recipe since it is sort of messy to make and clean up.

1/4 cup almond oil
2 Tbsp grated beeswax (make sure it is not packed too loosely)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup glycerin

Yields 5 ounces

Melt together the almond oil, beeswax and coconut oil in a heat resistant glass container in the microwave. Transfer the melted mixture into a blender (I have a cheap blender I use for just lotion making). Put the blender on low and add the glycerin in a thin even stream (this is done relatively quickly, but not all at once). If desired you can add a few drops of essential oil to scent the lotion (I usually don't since it is difficult to mask the coconut scent). While the mixture is still warm pour into containers.

If you are going to make another batch right away you need to completely clean out the blender before you start. The remaining glycerin in the blender will harden the coconut oil on contact and the subsequent batches will not turn out. A hint on cleaning up the blender...if you can remove all of the metal parts and heat the canister in the microwave for a few seconds the remaining lotion will liquify and be much easier to clean out.

If you are thinking of making this feel free to PM me for more tips.

Recipe from Natural Beauty for all Seasons by Janice Cox

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.