Came home, found my sweet baby kitty, dead

I don't know how to post pictures so I changed my avatar to a picture of Murphy so you could see how sweet he was.

To everyone that shared their stories....I am so sorry to hear about how you lost your fur-babies. It's the hardest thing in the world, isn't it? Just a little ball of fluff can rip your heart to shreds. You know, I had another kitty, Daisy, for 18 years, and when she died I never thought I could love another kitty as much as her. But with Murphy, he was like the boy counterpart to Daisy. I loved Murph to pieces.

I made up so many songs for him...."He's my little Murphy-Pie, he's my sweet red-headed guy" and "there's a kitty on the bed and he's red; there's a kitty on the bed with a marble in his head, there's a kitty on the bed and he's red!" Dopey, I know, but he was just a sweet, silly lovable kitty.

And that my first first inkling that something was wrong, I went upstairs and he wasn't on the bed. From what the vet said, it looks like he went instantly from "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy"....an enlarged heart ventricle that can cause sudden cardiac arrest. We never knew he had it, you'd have to suspect it and do an EKG to find it, and if we had, it was incurable anyway. He did have such a big heart......

Sorry for rambling....thank you everyone for writing...

Last edited:
I am so, so, sorry. Losing a pet is very difficult. No matter what the circumstances. He is now at the Rainbow Bridge, healthy and whole, playing with the other kitties and pets. Waiting for you. My deepest sympathies...
~Renee

How awful for you...I'm so sad for your loss. Take comfort knowing that he was a much-loved, happy kitty while he was with you.

Take care,

Last year I lost a kitty too right in my arms and she was just 3 mo old. I also thought I was going to dye. So I'm crying with you now, sister, I really feel your pain. Hang in there, time will help. I'm very sorry about your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss Gov't Girl. I truly am! I came home to my beloved black lab in the same manner and it really is a davastating way to find your pet. I hope you find comfort and peace in the sweet memories of Murphy! Hugs to you!

I am devastated............sweet little fuzzy red-headed kitty named MUrphy, upstiars, looked like he was asleep afterplaying with string, dead, gone. I screamed and freaked and called my sister and petted him hoping it was all a big mistake and he would wake up.

No. He's gone., out of the blue. gone. I'm a bit tipsy I admit, he was such a sweet kitty, nothing wrong with him at all, I just came ohome and he was dead.

Prelimary resutls is "hypertrophic cardiomyopthy" or whatever it sounds like whenyou havent been drinking.

I am so sos os ossooososososooso sad. The doc said, if that is what is was, incurable if detected beforehand, but could only be dtecgted if you were looking ofr it. Meaning, there would be no way to prevent or cure it. But still, I go to work, come home, and my sweet kitty is lying upstiars dead.
I'm dying inside..........................

I don't know how to post pictures so I changed my avatar to a picture of Murphy so you could see how sweet he was.

To everyone that shared their stories....I am so sorry to hear about how you lost your fur-babies. It's the hardest thing in the world, isn't it? Just a little ball of fluff can rip your heart to shreds. You know, I had another kitty, Daisy, for 18 years, and when she died I never thought I could love another kitty as much as her. But with Murphy, he was like the boy counterpart to Daisy. I loved Murph to pieces.

I made up so many songs for him...."He's my little Murphy-Pie, he's my sweet red-headed guy" and "there's a kitty on the bed and he's red; there's a kitty on the bed with a marble in his head, there's a kitty on the bed and he's red!" Dopey, I know, but he was just a sweet, silly lovable kitty.

And that my first first inkling that something was wrong, I went upstairs and he wasn't on the bed. From what the vet said, it looks like he went instantly from "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy"....an enlarged heart ventricle that can cause sudden cardiac arrest. We never knew he had it, you'd have to suspect it and do an EKG to find it, and if we had, it was incurable anyway. He did have such a big heart......

Sorry for rambling....thank you everyone for writing...

GovtGirl - I'm sooo sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you that you find peace.

I read last week that "you've never truely loved until you've loved an animal" which you truely did.

You gave him the best life and have to hope that he didn't suffer.

We are all ripped to shreds for you. Now I'm crying - and I NEVER cry.

Peace

GovtGirl,
I'm so sorry for your loss. My cat was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and there is nothing that can be done that will really help treat it. We just go one day at a time. I know the shock must be devastating. I'm so sorry.
Hugs,
Lisa

Oh, how awful!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Especially when it was so sudden and couldn't even prepare for it. (crying) Your story is so sad.

Lots of (((((hugs))))) to you.

Janie

I too am sorry for your loss. You no doubt loved your kitty dearly. I also lost a dear pet ( our Black Boxer/Lab mix named Tyson) about a year ago and it was very , very hard to get over. We were forced to put him to sleep due to medial conditions that we could not handle. I understand how hurt you must be as these animals will always have a place in our hearts. We still have our second dog Scoobie ( St.Bernard mix ) who was lost for a while when he noticed Tyson had 'gone missing', but we love him just as much as I am sure you do your other cat.
I do believe that, they may have left us physically, but they are now back in the house with us, in spirit, home where they belong.

Regards,

Morgs

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.