CALORIES

mikemike64b

HELP me CathE,

I started exercising in may of 2009 after about two years of couch potatoeitize. This is when I quick smoking and quickly went from 150 ish to 180 something. I've been able to get back to 170 and I am happy with that after all I am 5' 11". I think thats an alright wieght!!. However now that I am more into exercise and using my Bowflex and Hiit by CathE and Step by CathE, i'm trying to learn a little more as time goes by. Right now I am stuck on figuring out how many calories I burn so I know how many I should take in. And I am trying to get my bell from a 36 down to a 34.

Pleasse help me!!!!!!!:(

I am not Cathe, but I started using a site called myfitnesspal.com in October of 2008. It advises you, based on information you log in, as to how many calories to eat. I log in everything I eat, everyday. I am a loyal fan of Cathe's workout, which I do 6 days a week. I have lost 20lbs since then and I think I am in the best shape of my life. (Since I was 18 anyway! I am 33 and have had 2 children and now weigh 129 pounds.) Good luck! With this site and Cathe you have no reason not to become healthier! If you are into strength training STS is the best investment I have ever made!

Not Cathe, but thought I would send out my recommendation for sparkpeople - it is a very knowledgeable site about learning to live a healthy lifestyle. It has a nutrition and a fitness tracker which help you calculate your calories burned and how many to be eating daily.

That being said, a heart rate monitor really helps in learning how many calories you are burning in a given workout.

I combine the information from my heart rate monitor with the Harris Benedict Equation. Its a rough guesstimate but hey, its what I've got.

So just google bmr calculator. Put in your height, weight, and age. That will give you your basal metabolic level of calories (I think I'm saying that right:confused:).

So for me on a day I exercised (not today its my day off) I put in age 31, height 5'2", weight (ugh confessions:eek:) 180. The number I get is 1583. I add in the calories I burned in my workout, lets say 400 (hypothetically) So the total burned for the day was 1983. I go for a deficit of 500 calories on my lower calorie days. So on that day I would aim for 1483. Does that help?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.