calories burned during workout

fabcathlete

hello Cathe, I am writing to you from Italy
.I have purchase/download some of your workouts wich are GREAT.. actually the best..thank you ...so I have some workouts example : butts and gutts..xtrain supercuts..xtrain legs...crossfire...bootcamp...leg blasts...my question is this..approximately how many calories do we burn doing those workouts...approximately. .
I hope you will have a little time to answer me...
thank you in advance.
Fabi
(and thank you so much ..your workouts are truly the best...everyday I can.t wait to workout with uou lot..it.s great!)

Like the PP said, the Workout Manager will give you an approximation of the calories you burned during the workout, based upon the weight you entered into your profile and the approximated MET value of the workout.

But, these are only approximations and are not as personalized as what you would get if you were using a heart rate monitor. So, if you want to get numbers that are closer to reality, get a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT40 and love it. There are cheaper ones out there too that will still do the job.

HTH!

Calories burned

I burned 700 calories today according to my Heart Rate Monitor.

I am curious how your hrm compared to the calories listed in the workout manager for the same workout? Are they close?

I burned 700 calories today according to my Heart Rate Monitor.

I am curious how your hrm compared to the calories listed in the workout manager for the same workout? Are they close?

Years ago, I had a cheap HR monitor that I got from a local sporting goods store. It had vastly inflated numbers. I invested in a Polar, and the numbers were much more accurate. Usually I'm really close to the Workout Manager numbers, but sometimes the WM is higher (especially with strength workouts or HiiT). Occasionally, my Polar is higher.

ETA: I did Tabatacise today. The WM says 493 calories for the 45 minute workout. But I wasn't working at a met 10 for the entire 45 minutes (warmup, cooldown, active recovery). My Polar says 358 calories--and that's with using a step with 3 risers/side for the active recovery. I think that is more accurate, because I was in what I consider my "zone" for 34 minutes. Yeah, my HR got to 172 during one of the Tabatas, but my average for the entire workout was 148. On the bright side, there is supposedly a much higher afterburn effect.

Last edited:
I just got a Polar HRM last week and it is usually amazingly close to what the Workout Manager says it should be.

I also find that my HRM is close to the Workout Manager, but usually the WM is higher. It's usually 50-75 calories off, which is not huge, but could make a small difference depending on your objectives. I was surprised at how close the WM was, though, for most of the workouts.

Eva

I also own a Polar HRM and I find that the numbers it registers for my workouts are indeed very close to the numbers provided in the WM. :)

I was looking at the polar ft4 and I was wondering if any of you find them big or uncomfortable? Is there a men or women's one to choose from or are they unisex? I seen some on ebay and I was wondering about the size before I buy. Some are listed as women or me or unisex but the polar website doesn't specify. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

There probably are smaller ones and if you're concerned about the size, you might find this one to be bulky. It's more like a men's watch. It only bothers me when I need to go down on my hands and bend my wrists, like doing pushups, then I have to move it up my arm a little bit so that it's not right on the crease. That's not a huge problem for me, but it can be a teenie weenie nuisance. I did not think about that until after I had gotten it.

There is a women's version of this and it's pink, here is that one (the one I have), http://www.rei.com/product/792847/p...ferralID=088553e1-c31e-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0.

Eva

Last edited:
For those who have found their HRM to be close to the Workout Manager, do you mean on all types of workouts--cardio and strength? Or do you just use your HRM for cardio?

I have found that the WM is relatively close to my actual calories burned for cardio (in fact, the WM is usually a bit under what my HRM reads). The WM is also fairly close to my actual calorie count for total body and metabolic workouts, like MM or MIS or AT or Afterburn.

However, for heavy weight workouts--think GS and STS Meso 3--the WM usually way way way overestimates how many calories I have burned (like 300 cals on the WM vs. 180 on the Polar for Meso 3 Chest).

Just curious if I'm the only one with this experience! ;)

Eva, Thanks so much for your input. I will be looking at others maybe, but it's good to know about the pushups. Also, thanks for the link so I know what it looks like better.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.