Calf fatigue during lunges

I have a problem with my calves hurting on the leg extended behind me while doing lunges. I could go on with the entire workout as far as strength goes or fatigue in my quads.

This has always been a problem for me and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I can do calf raises with no pain. I am new to your videos and am currently doing Power Hour and Rythmic Step. I can't believe I didn't find you sooner! I'm a gym rat and they are no longer doing advanced step, so I am thrilled to find your videos.

I know I am strong enough to do these lunges, so any advice would be great!!

Connie G.

2young2beOLD

My calves also ache while doing static lunges and I don't have a clue why. There are days I can get through an entire workout without this happening, but then there are times (especially when I increase my weight) that my calves ache worse then the leg that is working. My calves have always been strong and very defined so I have no idea why I have problems doing static lunges sometimes. If anyone has an answer to this one, I would be interested in knowing what is causing this.
Debbie in OH

I have the same problem! When I do static lunges especially, I find that I am using strength not only in my thighs, but that my feet and calves have to work especially hard to help me keep my balance. It's no wonder my calves hurt. I try to make sure my weight is in my heels to keep from having that "slipping forward" feeling, especially on those horrible one legged lunges with your back leg on the step }( , but once again - my calves get a workout too. Maybe that has something to do with it?

And know I'm strong enough to do these exercises too!

Interested in hearing the answer to this one!

Susan G.

I've had problems with this as well. The only thing I can think of is that while we can do endurance-type moves for the calves with no problem (after all, we walking is a natural movement that uses the calves a lot), but keeping them in more-or-less an isometric contraction calls on them in a different way. Mine don't seem to bother me as much any more, perhaps because they've adapted. I suppose one way of getting them used to this would be to stand on tippy toe for longer and longer periods! Make sure to do a good stretch afterwards.

This is interesting to me to hear that your calves ache with this move. I have never had that. Are you tensing the calves during the move? When I do lunges or squats I kind of "turn off" my calf muscles and visualize pushing up thru my heels. This has always helped me work the glutes and quads to the maximum. Other than balancing me, the calves are relatively quiet during these exercises. Perhaps trying not to tense so much might help? Or maybe stretch them out more before you begin.
Trevor
:)

Hi Trevor,

I thought of that too. The problem is,
I don't think of it until my calves are screaming!! I am going to make a real effort to try this. I have always thought it was form, but so far I haven't been able to stop it!!

Even in the gym, where there are mirrors to check my form, it looks like my form is correct. Unfortunately, it is probably in the body part that is hardest to change (THE BRAIN) lol.

Connie G.

2young2beOLD

I was just wondering if it is possible that this has something to do with the position of the back leg? I found that the time I feel the stress most on the back leg is when I have it stretched back a little further, rather than making sure that my back knee is beneath my hip. Can you try playing around a bit with the position of the back leg and see if it helps? I find the more "back" you have it, the more it works the hamstring and back of the calf.....if that makes any sense at all!

:)

I'm willing to try anything because I don't want to get discouraged enough to avoid leg work. It's not my favorite thing to do anyway, but I know it is a real calorie burner.

Thanks for the tip. I am open to any suggestions.

Connie G.

2young2beOld

I had the same problem and I started to elevate my back foot on a step or bosu (8-10 inches). This has solved the problem for me and I find I feel the work much more in my quads and glutes now.
HTH.:)
Janet

The rear leg in a lunge is often where people feel calf stress. When you are up on the ball of the foot, the calf is in contraction.

Take extra time to stretch the muscles both before and after exercises if they are indeed tight. A good test to check for tight calves is to sit on the floor, legs straight out in front of you, and try to move your toes toward your shins. If you can't move past perpendicular to the floor, the calves are tight and need a stretching program.

-Roe

I am planning on doing PH today, so I will try to streych on my own before I start. I felt like this may be a solution also. I usually have to stop during the workout to do this. I'm gonna keep at it,
(WITH DETERMINATION) x(

Thanks

Connie G.

2Young2beOld

>I have a problem with my calves hurting on the leg extended
>behind me while doing lunges. I could go on with the entire
>workout as far as strength goes or fatigue in my quads.
>

Hope this helps.

I had a problem with my calves burning out when I would do lunges, and yep, it was always the back leg, then I suffered a slight injury and learned something.

I had injured my achilles and I had to stay off of it for two weeks, well when I went back to working out I was doing PS Legs and everything felt fine until I got to the lunges. When the foot that had suffered the injury was back I felt a discomfort in my achilles. I started trying to adjust my stride and such to see if I could get rid of that discomfort and what I found was that I had my legs too wide. When I brought my rear leg in a little closer (side to side, not front and back) to each other, not only did the discomfort disappear, but my calf seemed to instantly relax a bit more. I guess that trying to hold myself in balance with such a wide stance was making my lower leg muscles work extra hard. The best part though was that I was actually able to go deeper into my lunge. Before I made the adjustment I couldn't even go half way to the floor without my back knee saying, "HEY! What are doing girl?!" But now I can go much deeper without the knee or calf stress.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.