cake frosting/icing

molasses

Cathlete
Hello

I'm baking lots and lots of cupcakes for my mother's 65th birthday party and need some icing recipes.

Do you know on which website I can find a no-fail buttercream icing and a milk chocolate icing? I want everyone to love them. :D

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Go to southernliving.com to search for frostings. All of their recipes are tested at least three times before publication. I swear by them.

I looked at the previous posters links and they do look delicious.... but for me, a little difficult - I am not much of a cook.
I make the one from the powdered sugar box and everyone always loves it. If you want a recipe a little more simple here it is:

2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)
Cream sugar, butter and vanilla. Add a small amount of milk (1 to 2 tablespoons). Add cocoa if desired and beat until fluffy.
I usually add more sugar,butter or milk as needed to get it the right consistency and when you are making the chocolate frosting, try a little brewed coffee instead of some of the milk - it really makes the chocolate flavor come out. Also, I usually double this or more. My friends and family LOVE frosting - and my husband needs to lick the bowl! :)

Last edited:
One thing I recently found out is that confectioner's sugar has cornstarch in it. I had no idea! LOL. Most icing recipes I use call for too much sugar for my taste. I don't like icky sweet frosting :p So, what I did last time I made frosting (for my little's ones bday cake) was use the amount of confectioner's sugar to taste then add cornstarch to thicken it up enough to spreading consistency. It turned out great w/out overpowering the taste of the cake w/ sweetness.

The pp's had great recipe sites for you...I use Hershey's website a lot. They have both chocolate and buttercream icing recipes. Hope your cupcakes turn out fabulous :D

Not sure if you still need a recipe but this is my "go-to" frosting recipe that everyone seems to love. It is not the least bit healthy :eek::eek:

Cream together (standing mixer is preferred method):
1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup crisco shortening (I know!!) - you can use all butter but everyone seems to prefer it with the shortening.
1/8 tsp salt

Add, one cup at a time:

3 1/2 - 4 1/4 cups powdered sugar (this will depend upon your taste)

After you add the first cup of pwd sugar add the following:

1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

1/4 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Add the rest of the pwd sugar to your taste and desired consistency.

Turn the speed up on the standing mixer (or regular mixer) to med-hi and let it whip for a good 10 min or so. The frosting will be light & fluffy :D

As for Chocolate frosting, I like the Hershey's recipe that's on the back of the cocoa can :D I also beat that for 10 min or more. I like my frosting fluffy!

HTH!

Here are my favorite icing recipes. The buttercream recipe is similar to the one posted by upnorthchick but I thought i'd share it any way. Neither recipe is healthy AT ALL, but amazingly delicious. :)

Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp crisco
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup non-dairy coffee creamer (I sometimes leave this out)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
2 drops butter flavoring

With mixer on low speed, mix all ingredients together. Continue to beat until mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes. This makes enough to frost a 9 by 12 sheetcake, so you can may need to adjust it depending on the number of cupcakes. Note: I use this recipe particularly when i'm decorating a cake or cupcake because it holds it shape.

Cream Cheese Icing

This is my favorite icing recipe, especially for cupcakes. It is not overly sweet and very easy which is why I like it.

1 package cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat first 3 ingredients until creamy. Add vanilla. Note: You may need to double the recipe depending on the number of cupcakes.

Enjoy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.