Caffeine

Amni

Cathlete
Does anyone know if caffeine (in coffee) has any effect on your weight? I started drinking coffee again a couple of months ago and I'm not sure if it's the coffee or what but I have developed more of a "pooch". I only have 1-2 cups per day. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's most likely not the caffiene. Caffiene prior to exercise increases endurance and actually helps with fat burning. It's a stimulant and stimulants decrease appetite. Now, if you load your coffee up with cream and sugar, that's another story. But caffiene consumtion won't develop your pooch.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Patricia, I've been drinking coffee for two decades now, and not once has it made me flabby, especially around the middle. I became a coffee addict in grad school, with all those papers I had to write and exams I had to prepare for two weeks in advance. My classmates were also caffeine junkies. I don't remember any of us getting fat on coffee -- and we were all "junk mates" for two long years.

Like Bobbi said, if you load up your coffee with extras, it's those extras that will give you a pooch.

Pinky

Yes, back when I was an anorexic graduate student, I used to drink 6-10 cups of black coffee a day. No pooch anywhere in sight. Now, at 46.75, I drink black tea in the morning and sometimes no coffee, sometimes one cup of coffee in the early afternoon before exercise. No pooch.

I do think pooches come from: Pooch-oriented genetics. Premenopausal and/or postpartum shifting of existing fat stores. Increasing fat due to the perilous imbalances of food and exercise that we all struggle with.

Patricia, I realize this doesn't really answer or address your question, but I thought it was kind of interesting. I did a quick search on "caffeine" on Web MD, hoping to find a study which addressed your question, but instead I found this:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/73/89039.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Carol
:)

It could also be what you are eating with your coffee, if you are eating anything.But I know that I enjoy a cookie or some kind of sweet when I have a coffee in the afternoon....oh,who am I kinding,I enjoy sweets without the coffee!:)

I gave up caffeine last fall and since then I seem to have gained eight pounds. I'm not sure it's the caffeine that made the difference, but it does seem to be a likely culprit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.