Bursitis in Hip - Suggestions

dogs2birds

Cathlete
After doing a marathon about 4 years ago, I ended up with bursitis in my hip. I'm sure it was more than just that one marathon - possibly 20 years of running. Anyway, I quit running since it wouldn't go away and was told by 3 doctors that if I went back to running it would keep coming back. So I switched to cycling and don't have a problem. But since I've been doing step recently, it's starting to flare up, as is ocassional pain in my ankles that I also trashed during my marathon training.

I've been taking glucosamine twice a day but am wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to help your body through some of these tougher workouts. It seems like step might be doing to my body what running was doing. I bought Ryka Enlight II's, put padding down in my workout room, stretch, etc. I really want to make Cathe workouts a part of my life because I think they are so tough, something that I couldn't find outside of cycling videos (which I do get tired of after awhile). I thought maybe I could limit myself to one step workout a week, one of her kickboxing ones and then do cycling workouts the rest of the time. I can also keep doing her weight workouts because I don't think those are a problem and probably help.

Any suggestions on keeping a healthy body would be great. I'm not used to this getting old stuff! :)

Thanks!

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Hi Susan....you should see a Chiropractor about those ankles...:7 }( How high is the step you use?...how long have you taken Glucosamine? Kickboxing is a good workout as it seems to hit all the body parts and I have read here alot of ladies have had good results doing it. Ever thought of maybe an elliptical trainer? I know there is one forum member Mari (Mascka) that had to stop doing marathons because of a hip problem. Maybe she will see this and post some answers. I agree with you about weights...they are probably not aggravating the hip unless you go heavy on leg weight...:)...Carole

Hi Susan,

I get flare-ups of bursitis in my shoulder and taking a product called Turmeric Force seems to really, really help me! You can probably find it in a healthfood store, or here's a site that sells it: http://www.iherb.com/turmericforce.html When I get a flare-up, I need take 2 softgels 3 times a day, and it seems to decrease the time of the pain from about 7 days to just a few days. I had been taking naproxin (Aleve), which seemed to help most times, but was wondering how safe it was to take over the long term. Anyway, that's just something I found that helps me. I've never had bursitis in any other body part, though, so I can't help you any more than that. I hope it resolves quickly! I know how annoying and extremely painful bursitis can be!

I can really relate to what you're going through. When I approached my MD (a portly middle aged gentleman) about bursitis in my hip secondary to running, all he prescribed was "Well, quit running". Frustrating!

All that really helped me was ice, ice, ice....I should add I am highly allergic to NSAID's so using anything like Ibuprofen or Naprosyn was completely out of the question for me. If you aren't allergic, anti-inflammatories like Motrin may also be helpful. But I was pleasantly surprised how effective icing was.

HTH....

Coletta

Flax is good for it's anti`inflammatory properties. There's a product called "Mega Flax Joint" that is ground flax with added glucosamine and other joint factors in that helps. (I get mine from www.veganessentials.com ).

I would suggest going to a Physical Therapist who is Board Certified in Orthopedics. They have the letters "OCS" behind their PT credentials.

Carolyn

Wow - thanks for all of your help. I'm going to try ALL of your suggestions! It's funny, but since I quit running :-( I'd forgotten how much icing helps. And I'm going to try the Turmeric Force and the Mega Flax Joint too. I am one determined person!

Carole - I was actually going to get an elliptical this past fall for variation on cycling until I found Cathe. I thought I'd wait on the elliptical for a year (b/c of my whiny aches and pains in my hip I have to have a really good one because the cheap ones actually do bother my hip but not the expensive ones:) ). So I will probably go back to that plan at the end of this year's cycling season in the late fall. That combined with kickboxing and some cycling should give me enough variety in the winter for my cardio. I just have to make sure that they are all tough workouts, or what's the point. :)

Thanks again for all of your help. I really do appreciate it more than you know!

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

Oh Carole - I got so excited about the responses that I forgot to answer your questions. The step height depends on which workout I'm doing. Since the older videos all seem to go higher, I was doing that but am rethinking. On Imax 2 I only go with one set of risers (is that 6 inches?). Actually, an easier answer is I do whatever Cahte does. Maybe I should go lower on all of them and that might help? And the other day I did Imax 2 and then Rhythmic Step right after that. Might have been too much at once???

I've been using glucosamine for probably a year - off and on. During the summer I was riding lots of miles and also lifting and doing a little bit of Step Reebok (before I discovered Cathe) and my knee was really starting to dislike all that so I started Glucosamine and that seemed to help. I also cut out the step. I'm just falling apart, aren't I??? :)

Susan

May I ask what the symptoms are, I have a problem with my right hip and it seems to also hit the middle of the buttock.

This is my first post on the forum so bear with me! I've been reading posts for a long time and love these forums - this topic is of current interest to me so I wanted to join in.

I am currently being treated for bursitis in my hip. My specific diagnosis is trochanteric bursitis. After 9 weeks of physical therapy, it was slightly better but not a lot, so I just saw an orthopedic dr and had a cortisone injection yesterday.

From what I've learned talking with the physical therapist, my primary dr and the orthopedic, I think the stepping was the biggest factor for me. I had been running a moderate amount over the summer with no problems, but missing stepping. In the fall I just started doing a lot more Cathe, and with gusto, you could say. As most people probably do, I was using two risers for Low Max, the full height of the high step for those dvd's (4 risers, I think). I also liked to use the stairclimbing machine at the gym (the one with actual steps that move). The feedback I got was to balance my workouts more - shorter durations, as in not more than 20-30 min on any one equipment/exercise, keep a variety of exercise, bike and elliptical along with the running and stairstepping/climbing. I was also advised to strengthen my core, mine is particularly weak so that might not be helpful if not a weak area for you.

No word yet on if the injection is a fix...does feel better already but sore from the shot so still waiting to see. So frustrating to be injured!

I don't know if this will work for bursitis in the hip but I kept having bursitis in my shoulder. I had a shiatsu massage (the therapist had trained for 18 years)...during the massage I felt I was being tortured (he had me doing the splits...which I could not do at the time...it felt like his thumbs were touching the floor when he was pressing on my back...he even walked on my legs). After the massage the bursitis was gone and it has never come back. The theory of shiatsu massage is it releases trapped "chi". Chi is your inner energy. The amazing thing about shiatsu massage is it also got rid of aches and pains that I didn't even know I had...I was basically a puddle I was so relaxed after it.

Annabel - mine is more on my hip bone and it hurts right on the bone. If I'm sitting for awhile and get up OH MY GOODNESS it's not good. And pretty much just walking hurts it. It's just a pain - I can't really explain. But it's very specific to that one spot.

"Jeninmaine" - welcome and I'm so happy that you decided to post. I didn't do any PT but I did get 2 cortisone shots. They helped but only for about a week. I had a hard time with getting the shots because I didn't want something to mask the pain, I wanted it to go away. But my doctor talked me into it because she said the swelling needed to go down before the pain went away and that was supposed to help. But I also quit running, as I mentioned and that's what really helped. And as I mentioned, now that I've started stepping more, it's getting aggravated. Thanks for sharing what your doctors have told you. All mine ever wanted to do were cortisone shots and have me quit running. So helpful! I'm probably going to have to just vary my workouts as well. Are you still doing step?

Susan

Alhambra - this sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to see if I can find someone around here who does that. It's worth a shot and if nothing else I'll get a good massage! :)

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.