Burning muscles vs failure--am I weird?

kellymom

Cathlete
Hi, all-

I have a bicep question for you. Sometimes while working my biceps, I notice that I get to failure without feeling excessive burning in the muscle like I do other muscles. I go to do the next rep, and my bicep says "nope, not gonna happen", and yet it's almost like they're numb or something weird like that and it doesn't burn. Does that happen to anyone else? What does it mean?

Today was Meso 2 disc 18 and it was very pronounced this time, especially during the concentration curls.

Thanks!

Kelly

Not weird - have had that happen with biceps throughout Meso 2. I swear I got weaker! Preacher curls felt nearly impossible at times. I'd start to lift and it was like "there's absolutely no darn way." I was very frustrated. Cathe did explain an assisted curl though and how to make that work for you. I felt better after that LOL.

Heather

Hi, all-

I have a bicep question for you. Sometimes while working my biceps, I notice that I get to failure without feeling excessive burning in the muscle like I do other muscles. I go to do the next rep, and my bicep says "nope, not gonna happen", and yet it's almost like they're numb or something weird like that and it doesn't burn. Does that happen to anyone else? What does it mean?

Today was Meso 2 disc 18 and it was very pronounced this time, especially during the concentration curls.

Thanks!

Kelly

I'm always that way with biceps--no matter the Cathe workout. I don't "feel the burn" but I fail. I've wondered if it's because I'm not isolating the biceps effectively--that I'm using other muscles to assist. Thanks for your post. I'm interested in the replies.

Hi, all-

Thanks!

Kelly

Hi, all-

Thanks!

Kelly

I don't have a concrete answer for you, but I experience the same thing quite often. I think it's because my forearms (and wrists) give out before my actual bicep does. It seems difficult to isolate the bicep muscle.

I should amend my post by saying that with STS I have still been feeling the burn (aka DOMS) the next day at least.

Heather

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My biceps to feel weak and trembly right now, so I'm thinking DOMS is on it's way tomorrow......it's just so strange not to feel the burning while doing the workout. It's very distracting to my focus :)

Kelly

I'm that way with tri-ceps. If I don't put my hand on the muscle as it is moving, I can't even feel it but when I am done... it's done!

We should make up our own name for this syndrome!
Like: Dead muscle Failure or something like that.

Heather

I just had this happen this morning (Meso 2, #15).

I've noticed I tend to "burn" more with endurance workouts, so that might be a contributing factor.

yep, I also feel the burn with endurance type workouts when I use lighter weights. In Meso 3 there was no burn at all, just the total failure :)
I just had this happen this morning (Meso 2, #15).

I've noticed I tend to "burn" more with endurance workouts, so that might be a contributing factor.

yep, I also feel the burn with endurance type workouts when I use lighter weights. In Meso 3 there was no burn at all, just the total failure :)

Yes that is what is happening to me. I fail before the burning starts.

chrissy

Bicep DOMS and Failure

The STS biceps (and most bicep exercises) are killer for me. I always fail way before I want to, and I get a pain in my inner elbow that lasts for a week or so.

However, I was going to post this anyway- I did Power Hour the other night and I'm still feeling the DOMS 3 days later! Cathe used a 15 lb. barbell too! Check it out - it was mostly like the crazy 8's. I was a-smiling girl when I heard she was using 15 lbs:eek: I made it all the way through AND FELT THE BURN.

Also, this worked the upper and lower bicep separately. Cathe said the lower bicep we were hitting twice because it's weak. AHA! That's what we need to do. Maybe doing this will help us build strength in the bicep area.
Good post- thanks! Enjoy the weekend.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.