Burned Out......[emoji16]

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Hey Everybody,
I was looking for some friendly advice. A little about my self. I have been excercising for a little over 10 years. I started out with the firm but that didn't last long because I discovered Cathe and her wonderful dvd's. I stuck to cathe dvd's for a lonoong time. Over the years I also acquired many other workout dvd's and plenty of Beach Body programs. I have dvd's for every genre of working out. I also have a gym membership.
Here's my problem- I think I'm just burned out from working out period. I'm just tired of thinking about what workout has to get done for the day what equipment has to be pulled out etc etc. The only time I have ever taken off from my workouts where when I was pregnant 6 years ago. Other than that I chug away. I use to work out 1 hr a day 5/6 days a week now I'm down to about 5 days a week 30-45 minutes. I no longer do high intensity workouts because I just can't anymore. I don't have it in me. Even yoga which I love it's a struggle for me now.
Between getting up early for work(430) everyday,kids,commute, husband, and just other life things I'm tired. I really don't want to stop and I haven't just yet but I need a break.
Has any one here ever taken an extended break from working out?? If so please share your story. I want to take a break but I'm afraid of losing the fitness I have gained over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. You are burnt out. This was years ago, but when I was competing, I had to take a break after each show. I was drained. Now, my workouts have changed. I no longer workout two hours a day. They can be intense, but not ALL THE TIME. Take a break. Take the time you need. If you feel like it, go for a walk. If you don't feel like it, don't do it. We all need time for ourselves. Kids, dogs, husbands, jobs, world affairs, can wear us down. If you are basically sleep walking through a workout, and it's just not there, it's not helping with your fitness goals. You will come back stronger, and eager to get going again. I think we all have been there at some point. My best to you!

Last edited:
Just to echo Karen a bit here, have your ever just not planned ANY workouts at all & just do what you want when you wake up and feel your body and feel what you would like to do? Taking maybe 4-5 minutes to sit up in bed and do a mental scan of your body and learn what you want from this day? I know it might sound a bit "airy". lol. I do not follow rotations cause honestly, they stress me out. What if I didn't sleep well and cannot work out? What if something else more fun has come up? That type of thing.
Do you and your hubby like to do anything together? You could mix hubby social time with some fitness perhaps? Mine does not like to do anything like that with me, but I do often wish he did.

If you need a break and it does sound like you do, give yourself a break. You deserve it! Rejuvenate.

Yes. I have taken a week some times 2. The ladies above gave great advice. It's great to not have to think about a workout or rotations. Maybe taking hikes,long walks or swimming at a pool. Or trying a gym membership for a short time.
But don't feel guilty if you just don't want to workout for a few weeks. Just eat good and healthy and enjoy yourself [emoji4]

A Fit Granny [emoji1434]

The mind is more powerful than we know. Sometimes I am not "in the mood" to work out. I motivate myself by telling myself how lucky I am to be healthy enough to work out, I think about my only brother who died of cancer and a friend who had a debilitating stroke. I have taken a few weeks off due to conflicts but I always know that I must prioritize my workout time for my spirit and body, it is now part of my life.

I would take a break from working out - but only if you want to. Movement is so important for your health. Change from 'I have to workout today" to "I want to workout today" and change your work outs from high intensity to workouts that recharge your body and mind. Leslie Sansone's 20 minutes "Walk away the pounds" and "PowerFit Harmony" are easy, soothing workouts that I treat more as moving meditation workouts than as 'improve my body' workout. Moving meditation workouts can be any workouts that do not stress you, are easy to follow, help clear your mind and make you feel calm and content at the end. A slow walk outside where you focus on the environment and sounds can can have the same effect. I hope you feel better soon.

Change from 'I have to workout today" to "I want to workout today" and change your work outs from high intensity to workouts that recharge your body and mind.

I agree with what has been quoted in previous post and especially this highlighted above.
You need to change from " I have to workout today" to I want to have fun working out this...
Not sure what your current situation is but a week end off away with just your husband or friends could help
bringing back enthusiasm. At least for me a change of scenery worked. ATB

Thank you ladies for the great responses. You all made me think about it differently. For sure I will definitely taking the following week off. I will then take it from there and see how I feel.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate, wonderwoman. When my children were young there were times my workouts seemed like just one more thing on my ever longer To Do list! And, with getting up early, I felt as though I just didn't have the energy - sleeping was higher on my priority list than exercising! Here are a couple of things I did:
-delegate tasks I don't like to do and that weren't important to my own health and happiness (e.g. had a volunteer do some routine tasks at work, hired a local teen to do a couple of hours of housekeeping each week); this left me with more energy and time for myself
-do physical activities with my family and friends (e.g. family walks after dinner; playing tag, basketball, swimming and/or catch with the kids; biking with a friend to a local cafe; weekend hikes with the kids and hubby)
-no pressure to do any rotations or even a full workout (e.g. just tell myself that I will do the first 10 min. of my favorite workout to get the blood flowing and to boost my energy level, and allow myself to quit after that if I'm not enjoying it)

As Michelle Segar says in her book 'No Sweat' - see exercise as self-care and self-care is your fuel so you can do what matter most. You don't have to do a lot but just enough to keep your engine running!

Great thread full of great advice!

I'll tell you what I do when I'm burned out, which basically echoes what others have said.

1. Always listen to your body and don't push to the point of true physical pain. Injuries are nobody's friend.
2. Have a "no rotation" rotation. Just do whatever sounds fun that day. You've worked out with Cathe long enough, odds are that you'll intuitively piece together a balanced workout schedule just based on what your body wants to do.
3. Give it up/Let it go/Have someone else do it. If there's a particular chore that you can ask your partner/spouse to cover for a while, do it! If there's a particular chore you can let go or perform less often, do it! Try to simplify meals wherever possible, even if that means getting some "help" from the store in the form of (healthy) prepared foods, like rotisserie chickens or pre-chopped veggies or even frozen veggies (assuming your budget allows). Cook in bulk and eat leftovers!
4. Schedule in some self-care, whether it be a massage or pedicure or checking out a book from the library that you've wanted to read for ages.

Take care of yourself, Wonderwoman. Your forum name is true, you sound like one of the many moms/dads/superstars on this forum who try to do it all.

I understand as well. I've learned that the best thing you can do for your body sometimes is rest. Exercise when it's stressful in my opinion defeats the purpose. When I'm really fatigued, I've learned to reevaluate and take a break. Congratulations on how committed you've been for so long. Eat well, sleep well, enjoy the benefits of walking and when you are ready the dvds will be waiting for you. Best wishes.

I have been caregiving for the last 8 years in various ways for family members. I'm at up 5am and I don't get home to 6pm. I don't have any kids but my days are full. What works for me is having people to workout with. I regularly workout with my sisters and it helps to have people around to laugh and to push you. I used to workout 6 days a week and now I'm down to 5. Most workouts are less than an hour. Some days our workouts are hard and sometimes easy. I try to have balance in my life. I have been working out consistently since 1999 but if I need rest, I'll take it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.