Burn the fat feed the muscle

Saker

Cathlete
Hi

I have seen quite a few people in this forum recommend this book. I am 5'5 and weigh 139lbs - not a terrible weight but I can never loose that last 5% body fat and few pounds to show much muscle definition. This Tom Venturo book sounds like it might help but I have tried a number of diets and programs in the past and I am reluctant to spend more money if there is nothing new in it. The trouble is most diet programs seem aimed at people who are eating bad food and not exercising. I eat reasonably clean and exercise 6 days a week - could anyone in a similar position recommend this book as having helped them?

Also I read there is a check in thread on this but I couldn't find it - could anyone give me the link.

thanks a lot
Ruth

There are quite a few older threads regarding the book that I would check out if I were you. I advise doing a search using the initials of the book - BFFM.

I did it for you but I'm not sure the link will work....I love the book and highly recommend it. It espouses eating 5 small meals a day and eating clean. I don't follow it religiously (there's only so much oatmeal and chicken a girl can eat) but the principles are solid.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php

I highly recommend this book. I know it's a little pricey, but I think it is well worth the money. Lots of great helpful information like best 12 foods to eat, worst 12 foods, how to put together a diet that's right for you, how many calories you should be eating to lose fat, for maintenance and for weight gain and also how much strength and cardio you should be doing.

Marcy

(I am 5'5 and weigh 139lbs - not a terrible weight but I can never loose that last 5% body fat and few pounds to show much muscle definition. This Tom Venturo book sounds like it might help but I have tried a number of diets and programs in the past and I am reluctant to spend more money if there is nothing new in it. The trouble is most diet programs seem aimed at people who are eating bad food and not exercising. I eat reasonably clean and exercise 6 days a week - )

HEY Did I write that????? We sound like we are in the same place!
My weight hasnt budged much since doing BFFM but I was already eating like that 90/10.
I am 43 struggling w/ peri-menopause but have vowed to just stay w/ it all for health. I am on Day 72 of consistent exercise and clean eating. My body is starting to show tone but the fat still around the middle.
Good Luck in your efforts!

Hi there,

I bought BFFM two weeks ago and started the program one week ago. I had stumbled across the BFFM link on my own and thought it looked completely cheesy - scrolled down and read a bit, had a little chuckle to myself and moved on.

Then after spending a bunch of time here at Cathe, I kept reading more and more about it. I read so much about it that my curiousity finally got the better of me.

I'm very happy that I bought the book.

For your reference, I hope to relatively maintain my weight and lose fat %. I had been eating a clean, Zone style of eating (40/30/30) for about 8 months or so, and have been exercising faithfully (both cardio and weight-lifting) for a year....with not much change in anything.

As for whether there is "new" stuff in BFFM or not, I think it really depends on how much research you've done on your own. I had already done a lot of reading up on the internet about foods and balance, muscle and fat, body types and exercise yadda yadda yadda, so things in the book more confirmed and shaped what I already had learned.

Now, if I hadn't yet bought the book and read my previous paragraph had it been written by someone else, I guess I would think I wouldn't want the book since there doesn't seem to be anything "new."

But that's partly the point - it's not new, it's just plain honest and simple...there is lots of stuff that you are very likely overlooking (assuming you know a thing or two about macronutrients). The book also explains how to tweak what you're doing weekly based on results you've found. If this and this happens, great - continue! If that and that happened, here's what you try for the next week. I find that very helpful since I don't have access to a personal nutritionist or trainer.

(If you haven't done much reading about nutrition and balance and whatnot, then I would think this book would be very eye-opening.)

I also found the chapter on setting goals and keeping motivation incredibly inspiring. In fact, I'm using the methods he writes about not only for my eating/exercising goals, but also for my career goals. I realize that might sound like, "oh man, I don't need any diet book that tells me how to make goals" but it's surprisingly inspirational.

Anyway, there is really a lot of great information in the book and this past week I've been finding it very easy to resist any temptations and really stick to my program. It's all laid out for you. You just plug in your numbers, decide what you want and then do it. I guess reading the book has really altered the way I look at things...in a more positive light. It's great.

If you're curious, I've taken my first weekly assessment. I've lost 1.2 pounds of body fat but I've also lost 1.3 pounds of muscle. And with the information in the book, I know from those results what I need to do in the following week to stop from losing any more muscle.

I hope you'll find more information that will help you decide on getting the book or not!

Best wishes,
August

Thanks everyone for the information and recommendations. I would like to get the book and have a read but I don't like breaking it to Dh who will say that I should stop worrying and be happy as I am. It's a shame I can't borrow it from the library. I will have a good look at the other info on this site and decide after that.

Hi August,

I actually asked for the book for Christmas from my husband. To be honest with you I was surprised with the size of the book and have not opened it yet:(

Your post has given me incentive to read the book. I was wondering did you read the whole book before starting the program? Or did you do it in steps?

Thanks,
Debbie

P.S. The funny thing is I do like to read but when ever a book has too many pages I put it aside (reminds me of my school days).

Hi there,

Debbie - you mean your husband downloaded it and had it printed for you? What a sweetie! (Maybe he was secretly printing out his own copy? }( )

You know, I actually hate reading, and yet I ripped through BFFM reading it over the course of two days, feverishly taking notes. I found it an easy read, interesting and motivating. After I'd taken all the notes I wanted, I reviewed them and then set up my plan and goals. Without a doubt, the thing that took up most of my preparation time was plugging in meal after meal into fitday to get a feel for how to set up my eating plan.

But that's just anal me - needing to read the whole thing before starting, that is ;) . But I've read lots of threads of people who have started and are still in the middle of their first read. But there's lots of good stuff all throughout the book...I haven't even had mine printed yet (but plan to). I read it off my computer and took notes by copy/pasting into a different file. Then, being that I'm anal ;) , I went through my notes and color coded them for easy reference.

LOL - I NEVER did this as a student. I might just have turned into a genius if I'd put this much effort into my schoolwork! :) As a student, I'd have searched out the cliff notes and then only skim it! LOL!

Anyway, why not try reading the first chapter and see how it catches you? It spoke directly to the part of me that was ready for a change, and gave me the oomph to set myself up...and there must have been stuff in there that has inspired me to keep with it (with ease) for the last 10 days.

Best wishes!
August

P.S. Ruth, when you really want it, it'll be there for you! ;-)

Wish I knew what I did wrong - I seem to be the only one who actually gained weight following the BFFM plan. 30% protein was killing me - I actually would wake up dreaming of choking on chicken and feel stuffed (uncomfortably) before I even started the day. I am not trying to lose weight but lose a bit of body fat and simply become a bit more lean and defined so am eating 2,000 cals a day which is under what I need to maintain (I am at 14% body fat and 104 lbs muscle) but do have layer of fat over abs that I hate. Anyway at 2000 cals thats 150 grams of protein/day. Like I said I gained. I am back to my normal eating - 20-23% fat, 25 % protein and rest carbs. But having a hard time getting rid of the pound or two I gained - any advice out there???

caren-
You're not crazy! I too started going up on scale and not at the same rate as my BF% was going down. For me it wasnt the protein it was the startch carbs...I am EXTREMELY starchy carb sensitive and just cannot handle the recommended start %s. Within 2 weeks I was bloated and losing site of the definition I gained. I really truely believe that any "program" you decide to follow must be modified to the individual. He does indeed state this in his book but most of us want to follow a successful plan exactly.... I am now starting to drop some of the gain (retaining muscle mass) and am still sticking w/ his suggestions. BTW: His eating plan basics really are just like any healthy plan I've read about and believe me I have 3 bookshelves full of this stuff.
Give your modifications a couple of weeks and I bet you start to see changes. ALSO: His recommendations are based also on doing his type of cardio / strength rotation.... for me that had to modified as well as I need more cardio at 43.
Hope that helps!

Hi, Caren,

Traci and I both answered your question on seperate threads. :) You'll find more from me on your other post.

The gist of it is that I wonder if you plugged your stats in correctly when finding out your TDEE...I got some different numbers for you than the ones you were using.

Traci - if you find that you are starch carb sensitive, why not lessen them and use more fiberous ones? I've only read the book once, but I think that's what he suggests.

August

Tracie, thank you - I felt horrible, my stomach looked like an 8 lb medicine ball. I can't believe how long I stayed with it. I've only been back to my normal eating habits for about a week now, haven't lost what I gained yet - but I'm going to keep it up and see what happens. Must say I only started to feel like myself in the past couple of days. Really amazing how much I tortured myself thinking it had to work because the plan is good, just not for me - or at least - not for me unless I'm willing to eat 1700-1800 calories/day. Problem with that is I'm starving at anything under 2000 (1900) maybe but 1800 is not a good place for me to be in. I'm with you, I'm going to keep what works and modify what doesn't.
BTW - I have the same amount of books/magazines full of all this stuff, also. I'm 50 and because of the "new" layer of fat over my abs - I have been dramatically desperate to lose it. Think I need to get over this one.
You helped alot.

caren you are so welcome! Thank you as well.... I entered perimeno 2 years ago at age 41 and up until this past month I have hated my body and felt it turned on me. My thinking is slowly changing and I am even talking to my body throughout my workouts! (DH thinks I'm nuts)... I really feel blessed to have found Cathe and these forums- probably the most positive "woman" thing I have ever done.
Keep in touch.

I left peri a few years ago, a year later I found Cathe - and got into the best shape of my life. I forgot all about that these past few months. Will try the talking to myself during workouts, only ones there are my cats, they'll just assume I'm talking to them.
I feel so much better now, thank you again.

August

Thanks! I just found it on ebay (in the UK) so I have a bid on it for 99p (less than $2) at the moment. Couldn't turn it down at that price though I won't get all the free stuff.

It sounds like it will keep me busy with calculations etc - that sort of thing is right up my street!
Ruth

>I am 43 struggling w/ peri-menopause but have vowed to just
>stay w/ it all for health. I am on Day 72 of consistent
>exercise and clean eating. My body is starting to show tone
>but the fat still around the middle.

Hi, Tracie. Have you read "Fit Over 40"? It's co-written by Tom Venuto and addresses the challenges of getting lean/in shape after 40. http://www.fitover40.com/ I haven't read the book, but from what I've read it's BFFM for the "Over 40" crowd. :)

Caroline

Thanks for the info Caroline! I will check it out.
I just read both Outsmarting Female Fat Cell and Outsmarting the mid life Fat cell. So much rang true for me and I am extremely excited about eating more intuitively and conscously(sp).
I read some negative stuff on boards about her book on mid life and yes she does say that you may have to accept a "new body" for awhile but she really wrote that with many statements that support her - You cant hate your body and do whats best for it at the same time.
I really think the info for women in this transitionary time of life really is all about stop comparing yourself to hollywood, your neighbor etc... and about becoming the best you can be by doing good things for your mind, body spirit.
Anyway Thanks again and I will check out Venturos site.

Ruth,

That's great! Nothing beats 2 bucks (well, except I guess 1 buck :p ) That's practically free! At worst you'll have a great chapter on motivation and goal setting, and a very good explanation of what proteins, carbs and fats are, as well as why it's important to eat them in particular balances or times.

Again, just a reminder to others looking into the book - it's not a one set diet plan. The idea is that you find what works best for your individual needs, and this book gives you the tools on how to go about finding it. If after one week you're not seeing the results you desire, you tweak - this advice on how you go about tweaking is also in the book.

Best wishes to you all! :)

August

Hey there again,

I just wanted to come back to say that I don't mean in any way to imply that those who weren't happy with BFFM are saying that it's a one-fits-all plan, or that they did not follow the weekly tweaking - of course, I have no idea how they followed the advice or why they didn't get results they wanted if they gave their all. I'm sorry you didn't get anything out of the reading!

Best wishes!

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.