Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle formula to lose fat?

A

amanda12485

does anyone know the formula that burn the fat feed the muscle book uses to calculate your daily calorie intake to lose 2 pounds of body fat per week? Any other info you have on the book's nutritional stuff would be appreciated.

Not sure about the formula in the book because I haven't read that book yet (plan to, though, heard good things about it), but if you google the BMR formula and/or the Harris Benedict Equation that should help you with a formula to calculate your daily caloric needs and then whatever it says you need based on your activity level you would subract 500 calories from that to lose 1 lbs per week. For example: for my activity level, age, weight, and height I need 2200 calories to maintain my wieght, but if I want to lose, I have to subtract 500 calories a day from that, putting me at 1700 calories. It takes 3500 calories to make 1 lbs of fat, so if you subtracted 500 calories everyday from your diet for 7 days, you would have lost 1 lbs of fat. That is, providing you are eating enough to start with. Many people are already eating so few calories that there bodies are actually in starvation mode and holding on to every little morsel put in the body for fear that it won't be fed again therefore will not burn any fat.
Hope that's clear...it's late and sometimes I don't make sense late at night. Let me know if it doesn't.

Do you know your body fat percentage?

If so, he recommends the Karch-McArdle Formula:

Basic metabolic rate (BMR) = 370 + (21.6 x lean body mass in kg)
Then, multiply by your activity factor (working out 6-7x week it's 1.725)

This number of calories is your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)

For optimal fat loss, he recommends your calorie intake be 15-20% less then your TDEE, divided up into 5 small meals eaten approx every 3 hours, in the breakdown of approx 50% carb 30% protein and 20% fat, "clean foods".

In order to avoid going into "starvation mode", he recommends "zig-zagging" where every fourth day you increase your calories to your maintenance or TDEE number of calories.

This is a serious nutshell, as the book is 313 pages, and I really think it's worth reading.

Good Luck

I'm definately going to read this book. Thanks for the info SugarBean, I had not yet seen that formula. I am only familiar with the Harris Benedict formula. I'll look into that. Always good to learn new formulas for success!

And anyone that wants some added support and encouragement is always welcomed to join in on the burn the fat feed the muscle thread! :)

Check us out...where in the check-in forums!!! :)

I started BFFM on april 13th and just absolutely love it! ive lost 3lbs since then(about three weeks ago)

Good Luck!!!:)

... Calculating BMR

Hi...

A site that I find very helpful is: "www.freedieting.com"

The "Calorie Calculator - Daily Calorie Needs" - (calculates your BMR, per your age, weight, etc.):

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

a.) when you enter your age, weight and activity level, etc. it will give you your BMR for: Maintenance, Fat loss and Extreme weight loss

b.) Right underneath these totals you will see: "7 day calorie cycle (zig-zag)"... click on this... and it will give you your 7 day zig-zag plan, based on the above 3 weight loss choices, i.e. "maintenance, fat loss or extreme weight loss"...

c.) Right below the 7 day calorie zig zag chart you will see: "Get Macro Nutrient Ratios", click on this... you will get your calorie/macro breakdown per meal, **but NOTE - that you have to choose from above what ratio of carbs/fats/proteins that you want to calculate your diet... based on the following choices:

- enter: how many calories you want to eat per day (you would be using the numbers from your "7 day zig-zag chart"... for example a low day could be, 1400... enter this number in "calories per day"

- right below this you will see: "Common Diet Ratios"... you can choose from the following:

- moderate
- moderate I
- Zone diet (40-30-30 ratio)
- low fat
- low carb
- very low carb

You would choose one of these to base your plan on; once you highlight one, it will automatically calculate your ratios... for instance, I chose "low carb" based on 1400 calories and it gave me:

Carbohydrate: 25 %
Protein: 40%
Fat: 35%

... and below that it gives me a breakdown of my: grams per day, grams per meal, calories per day and calories per meal

You can also tweak the "percetage (%) by plugging in your own numbers; for instance I want to change my carbs a little higher, but still based on the "low carb" category, keeping in mind that the total "percentage" of macros has to still equal "100%, I enter:

Carbohydrate: 30%
Protein: 40%
Fat: 30%
... and it gives me my new calculations based on my new numbers...

You can print these out... I have a binder with all my zig-zag calories... My zig-zag looks like this... ( I will have to re-calculate as I lose weight):

Mon:... 1430
Tues:...1350
Wed:....1500
Thurs:...1490
Fri:.......1600
Sat:......1380
... and I base all my numbers, which can change daily, based on what exercises, i.e., strength/cardio, I am doing that day...

This website uses the following formulas under the advanced option:

- Mifflin-St Jeor
- Lean Mass - (nter Body Fat %)
- Harris-Benedict

See which one works best for you.. The Mifflin-St Jeor formula was created in 1990, Harris-Benedict in the early 1900's... I did both calculations for comparison and I use the Mifflin-St Jeo, but they both yield pretty close calculations.

I hope that this helps... the website that I gave you will calculate your BMR like the BFFM formula if you were to choose the HB formula, except that you won't have to calculate it manually...

~ Dee ~

PS: if you have any questions let me know...

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.