Building vs Toning Muscle

I may be totally wrong, but when I hear "toning" I think of just that - toning up the muscle for a little bit of definition. It's the people you look at and say, yep she probably works out a little bit. I think of building as in building up the mass (and not necessarily in a body builder kind of way). You look at that person and you know they workout.

Not sure if that helps one iota.
Heather

What is the difference between building muscle and toning muscle?

Thanks so much for responding! That's what I was thinking. Here is my dilema, I have a ton of extra skin on my lower body. I have been thinking that if I build those muscles to occupy the extra skin than I won't be jiggly. It's an idea anyway?

Hey - works for me! ;) I come up with my own theories all the time!

Heather

Thanks so much for responding! That's what I was thinking. Here is my dilema, I have a ton of extra skin on my lower body. I have been thinking that if I build those muscles to occupy the extra skin than I won't be jiggly. It's an idea anyway?

IMO, "toning" is just a term used in women's fitness magazines to appeal to women who are afraid to 'bulk,' as it suggests a leaner look. "toning' is, IMO, a combo of muscle building and fat loss. It IS building muscle.

IMO, "toning" is just a term used in women's fitness magazines to appeal to women who are afraid to 'bulk,' as it suggests a leaner look. "toning' is, IMO, a combo of muscle building and fat loss. It IS building muscle.

Agreed. That is the same info I was given by personal trainers!

All my life I have not been the petite little woman. So I started lifting 25+ years ago so if I had to be big, at least I did not jiggle! I think I benefit a lot from that now, because the weight is sure easier to keep down as I get close to 50, and I fit in a smaller size than most people would think for my weight.

Ain't no such beast as "toning". You're either building or maintaining or losing muscle. Toning is an anti-feminist term that may help women pick up some light weights, but won't be of much help to those women that want to kick real ass in the weight room.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.