BUFF BADGERS 5/9-5/13

lvnascar

Cathlete
Morning Ladies,

I had a nice Mothers Day, the family let me read all day long. :D

Friday I was able to do an interval run, so my knee felt fine. Saturday I did Tabata Inferno and Chest, Shoulders & Triceps. Sunday was a rest day, and this morning was S90 Total Body.

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day also.

Hello! Yes, I had a nice Mother's Day as well. The weather was just perfect! I went for a 60mn walk on Saturday and did pilates on Sunday. Since I was done with my rotation, I got to thinking. And I decided to do P90X for 90 days. The last time I did P90X I only lasted 8 weeks cause I got so bored. But I am determined to go for it and go all 90 days. I am also going to be more disciplined with my diet. I may try adding "doubles" the last 2 months but we'll see how this first month goes! Wrote down all my measurements this morning (not pretty) and hope to achieve the goals I set.

Today was a 30mn walk/run and P90x chest/back/ AB RipperX

The kids only have 1/2 a day today so I had better get to "pushin play"!

Stay strong- Susan

Laurie - Being able to read all day is a nice gift. I assume they waited on you as well? ;) They should have (if they didn't). I relaxed and read, watched tv and played on my iPad while they did laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and waxed my car. :D

Susan - I'm guessing you watched a P90X infomercial, didn't you? ;) I know that when I do it gets me thinking I should give a P90X rotation another go, too. Another 1/2 day? Didn't they just have spring break? :confused:

Sorry I didn't checkin on Friday but there was nothing to report. I didn't workout Thursday or Friday. Thursday was too busy and Friday was just plain lazy. The weekend was busy, too but I did do KCM's TLC 47 min. premix on Saturday. Love this workout! It's more intermediate level but I sweat like crazy. On Sunday I did STS Disc 30 Shoulders, Tris, Bis. This morning was STS Disc 29 Plyo Legs. Switched up the order on 29 & 30 because it worked out better time-wise.

DD helped some friends of hers make a duct tape Prom dress and suit. Yes, you read correctly - DUCT TAPE. They are entering to win a scholarship and I hope they get it. It turned out really well although the boy couldn't sit or walk down stairs very well in his suit. :D

Hi! Hope you all had a wonderful Mother´s Day! DD22 came and after church we did a drive through at Wendy´s...my choice :D then to an art fair and just hanging around! Sat I ran 7 miles and now have a rest week.

YEAAA I finished my undul. STS! I am so glad I think I will put it away for a year!! Am not sure what to do next...am keeping my running in til my races and I guess I´ll add some total body or circuits.

Laurie, What are you reading?

Sue, You must be almost finished with STS, no? Hope DD wins the duct tape contest! Post a picture! Didyou see the dress and vest someone made out of candy wrappers?
http://thesweetesttemptations.blogspot.com/2011/05/starburst-candy-wrapper-prom-dress.html

Susan, I believe that you can do a 90 day rotation!!! You almost did it last time. You are so dedicated to your workouts...

Hello Ladies! I had a great Mother's Day weekend! Internet service was down yesterday so I couldn't check in. I decided to do Meso1 and 2 again. Instead of recovery week, I decided to start right into Meso 1 yesterday and I will take a recovery week at the end. I still did not do the 1RM, but I figured I can guess them based on what I lifted in MESO3. As I look back at my recordings, I may have lifted heavier than I should for some exercises in the first cycle. Anyway, if I noted that I couldn't do all the reps the first time through, I didn't change the weight and focused on getting all 15 reps. If I was able to do all the reps last time, I increased the weight by 1 lb.

Today was Cardio Core Circuit and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. That workout is truly harder than HiiT.

Lala----after I finish Meso 1 and 2, I plan to take a break from STS and go back to my other favorites.

Sue---my oldest made me 6 coupons for free a car wash so I thought that was a great mother's day gift.

Susan---A co-worker asked if I was interested in trying P90x. It's been a while since I have seen the infomercial.

Laurie----Catching up on your reading must have been fun. With the busy family life, there is not always time to do those little things that you enjoy.

Lala - I posted a picture on Facebook of the duct tape prom dress and suit. The kids in the photo are her friends. DD did not go to prom since you have to be a junior or senior (or go with a junior or senior) and she and her boyfriend are both sophomores. Wendy's for Mother's Day? :) Were you craving frosties?

Heartymax - I was wondering what you were doing after STS. . . 2 weeks left for me! :D Thinking about doing Supreme 90 - but probably not for 90 days - and then doing STS again.

Hi Karen, Susan and Laurie!

This morning was my early morning but I still got up early enough to do 2 Leslie miles. Tomorrow week 3 of Meso 3 starts.

May I join you?

Hi, ladies! I'm hoping you'd be willing to let me join your check-in thread. I'm a 31 year-old mom from Milwaukee (hence the name), I'm a half-time middle school literature teacher, and fairly new to Cathe. Most of my girlfriends aren't into video fitness, and my family thinks I'm a little nuts with my ever-growing video library, so I'd like to be able to check in somewhere with like-minded people. I've been lurking here and there for a bit, and you all seem like a friendly bunch :) So... what do you say?

Afternoon Ladies,

I have not worked out yet today, I woke up with one of those wonderful sinus headaches, watery eyes. Just a little while ago the eyes stopped watering, and I sneezed a trillion times. :eek: After the sneezing I did feel so much better. After I get home it will be Core Dynamics, and I get to try out my new stability ball. I picked a pink one. :D

Susan, I'm positive you can do the 90 day rotation. When you need to make sure that you sub at least the Leg/Back workout. That is the one I always dreaded doing. ;)

Sue, I saw the duct tape dress, pretty cool. The family made lunch so that was about all they did for me. ;) Wow you are almost done with STS also, that sure seemed to go fast.

Lala, You are doing great on your running, I'm sure you will be ready for your 10K no problem. I just started reading James Patterson's Alex Cross books. The one I was reading was Kiss the Girls. What a creepy book! :confused: I had also just a few chapters of Lee Childs, The Hard Way left to read also. I would love to meet Jack Reacher or Alex Cross in person, these guys sound like they are HOT! :eek: :D What authors do you like to read?

heartymax, Sounds like a solid plan that you have going. Are you going to do them in order, or mix them up? I love to read, and about the only time I have is right before bed. But then I can only get in a few pages and I start to get sleepy. :( I almost forgot to say cute pic!

Sam, So nice of you to find our group. Of course you can join in the fun. So glad that you find us all such a friendly bunch, we try our hardest. ;) Do you have a lot of Cathe workouts? She is one tough lady.

Have a wonderful day!

Welcome Sam! What a great compliment to hear that we are a friendly bunch. I was the last one of the group to join and that was some time ago. Like you, I lurked around and choose Buff Badgers. I started doing Cathe in 2003 after doing the FIRM for about 4 years. It so great having the forum to check in with people who value what you do. So, join in and have fun with us.

I am an school counselor, married and I have 2 sons. Even though I have been doing Cathe for a while, last summer was my first time doing one of her rotations (slow and heavy). I just finished the 3.5 month STS rotation and enjoyed every minute of it:rolleyes: well---maybe not those lunges on the sliding disk:rolleyes:

Hi, Sam! Welcome to the group. :)

Let me introduce myself. My name is Sue but we also have a Susan in our checkin. (Just letting you know right off the bat so you don't get confused.) I am 46 years old which I can't believe. Where did the time go? I'm married with 2 kids - DD16 and DS14. I have almost all Cathe's workouts and have been working out with her since 2000. I recently purchased STS and in 2 more weeks will be an STS grad. I have a number of other instructors/programs, too but I'm always looking for more. ;) I live in Waukesha but am originally from Sun Prairie with most of my relatives still living in the Madison area. DH is from Tosa.

My family is the same way about me working out. One time I stayed in a hotel with my sisters and one of them saw me working out on the treadmill. She told the others that I was "killing myself" in the workout room! LOL My sisters avoid sweating at all cost so they just don't understand. It's good to come here and talk to people who do understand.

Good evening! Today was a 4 mile run. It is my "rest week" but I´m not sure if I should totally rest with my race coming up.

Welcome to our forum Sam! I know what you mean about the family thinking you´re nuts!! My family has gotten used to it :) and now DD19 does a few Cathe herself!!

Laurie, hope you´re feeling better...those sinus headaches are killers :( I will read some of those authors you suggested. I read almost anything :confused: Most of my reading is in Spanish. My english books on my Kindle right now are Cutting with Stone and King Arthur.

Sue, I saw the foto on facebook...they looked great! could they move?

Hi Susan and karen and Heartymax

Good Morning Ladies! This morning was Back and Triceps. My shoulders are burning from Monday. I expect the triceps to be sore tomorrow. Pushing out those 15 reps definitely reminds you how challenging an endurance workout can be. I continued to increase my weights 1 to 2 lbs. from the last cycle and that seems to work for me this time around.

lala----I bet you are enjoying your runs even better now that the weather is nice! No need for total rest ----you have been doing this for a long time and you will know when your body needs to rest.

Laurie---yeah----I finally added a pic. I tried to do one several years ago and could never get it to work. Can't wait to hear about your new stability ball. I guess this spring weather is not helping your sinus. Right now I am not sure if I am going to follow STS in order or not. I am going to take a week at a time. I thought about doing 1 week Meso 1 and then 1 week of Meso 2, I thought about 2 weeks of Meso 1 and then 2 weeks of Meso 2. Not sure yet:eek:

Sue---Meso 3 was my least favorite----not saying I didn' t like----but just my least fav of the meso cycles. Those long rests (which I needed) made the workouts so long. I had a love-hate relationship with Plyo Legs.

Susan---another colleague was talking about P90x yesterday and I thought about you.

I see no word from Karen again this week----I hope she is okay.

Hi Sam! Are you currently doing any particular rotation? What are your goals. At the end of last summer, my goal was to improve my upper body tone and to do at least one leg workout a week and I have been sticking to that. Pretty rewarding to know you are accomplishing something that is important to you. Glad to have you hang out with us here on the forum. Some people truly don't understand. By the way---I am 42 years old--I forgot to say that yesterday.

Morning Ladies,

Well I didn't get to use my stability ball because Core Dynamics doesn't use one. :D This morning was Cardio Challenge, so again no stability ball work. Oh well, it will get used soon.

Sue, I don't even remember when I started working out with Cathe, I think it was in '98 after DD14 was born. I seems like I have been working out with her for a long time though. ;)

Lala, From what my DD has told me about running, the taper down is very important for the race finish. I think that is why they reduce the amount of miles before your race day. If you like mysteries, then those authors would be good ones. I also really enjoy Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. She is a bounty hunter that really does a poor job of it. I love her grandmother, I laugh out loud reading these books. :D

heartymax, Glad to hear that you are still challenging those muscles. I was kind of bummed that I wasn't able to use my new ball, but I'm sure I will get the chance soon.

Sami, I am a married 47 yr old, with two daughters ages 18 and 14. We will be getting ready for a graduation in less than a month, I'm still in a state of shock that she is that old. :D We have a dog named Cami, and live the Vernon area (Big Bend). My DH and DD's understand my need to exercise, but my family and some friends just don't. :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful day!

Hello ladies! Sorry I didn't get on the computer yesterday. My workout was Plyometrics. I really pushed myself and boy did I sweat! :eek: Today is Shoulders/Arms and Ab ripper.

Hello Sam! I am the "other" Susan/Sue. It's great to have you here! I am a 43 yr. old mother of 2 DD14 and DS11. I live outside of Oshkosh!

Heartymax, love your profile pic!:D What got me to start P90X again was I watched an Insanity infomercial. I want to get it, but I told myself I had to do P90X for all 13 weeks before I would reward myself with it. I too hope all is well with Karen.

Lala, great job keeping up with your running! I need new running shoes - STAT!

Hi Sue!

Hi Laurie! What is Core Dynamics from? Is it similar to Core Synergistics?

I better go get ready for work! I'll try to check back later! Have a great day!

Susan

Good morning! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I guess this means I have to actually get my workout in, now, huh? ;)

A bit more about me, my goals, etc....

I have a 2 year-old son, who's currently doing his best to keep me from typing. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, swinging between 145-220 pounds. I've never hit what I would call a "goal" weight. I lost the most weight when I did WW. I couldn't take all the counting anymore, and gained the weight back. I decided about a year ago to just focus on exercise and not worry about the food. A few months ago, due to a combination of things, my husband and I made a decision to eat clean as a family and also become "weekday vegetarians". We can't believe what a difference this has made in how we feel. DH lost about 10 pounds without even trying (Men :rolleyes:), and we both feel fantastic. I finally feel like I'm in a good place with working out and eating. Cathe has definitely helped me out that way. That woman pushes me hard!

I'm not following any particular rotation right now. Though I've been sort of alternating a week of 4DS with a week of circuits and pure cardio, mostly Cathe. I was a FIRMie for a long time (I have all the systems, complete with Fanny Lifter/Box/TransFIRMer up until the Wave). I used to have almost 100 videos, but I gave a bunch that I had outgrown away, so I'm down to about 20. I'm trying to build my library back up slowly, buying a video or two per month. I've found that Step is my absolute favorite, so I was looking into getting some Amy Bento or Christi Taylor.

I work out in the evenings, while DH puts DS to bed and relaxes a bit himself. I've tried working out in the mornings, but just can't get my butt out of bed :confused: Unfortunately, I (mildly) pulled my hamstring on Monday, about 90 seconds into Kick Max, so I've had to take a couple days off. I think I should be back in the saddle either tonight or tomorrow since it feels pretty good right now.

My goals for the summer are to keep exercising a lot, eating super clean, and to buy as many videos as possible! If I lose 10-15 pounds in the process, that would be nice, too :D DH bought the pre-sale for me for Mama's Day, so I have that to look forward to in September.

I also have a goal to get DH to work out more. His idea of a workout is to go for a 20 minute jog 2 or 3 times per week. His dad died very suddenly at age 55 of a heart attack a year and a half ago, and though he's been eating very well, I'd like to get him to take fitness seriously as well. Any tips anyone has on that front would be helpful.

Sue- I'm a Waukesa native! I lived there my whole childhood and young adulthood. I even learned to drive downtown :eek:

Whew! That got long. Thanks for reading!

Lala - The girl could move in her dress but the guy had to pretty much stand upright the whole evening. DD took a video of him bunny-hopping down the stairs because he couldn't bend his knees! Forgot to say that I liked the candy wrapper dress. It all reminds me of the crazy projects they do on Project Runway.

Heartymax - The workouts in Meso 3 are long but I like the fact I can reduce it to 3 sets and not feel like I'm cheating. I really, really need a rack to hold my barbell though. I've figured out how to hoist 75 pounds to my chest for bench press but am afraid I may slip one of these days. Meso 1 must seem pretty frentic after the long rests in Meso 3. I like your idea of increasing your weights slightly from last time instead of doing the 1RM testing.

Laurie - The only reason I remember the year I discovered Cathe was because I was in the best shape of my life then. I finished 2 rounds of Body for Life and started doing Cathe workouts. I could do workouts like MIC and Imax easily and my body fat was measured at 15%. (I don't think that number was very accurate. It was measured using a caliper but it was a LOT lower than it is now.) Sometimes I look at pictures of me from back then and wonder if I'll ever get back there again. Graduation in less than a month! Are you a cryer? I know I'll be crying at DD's ceremony in a couple of years. The summer's going to fly by and then she'll be off to college.

Susan - I smiled when I read that Insanity would be your "reward" for finishing P90X! LOL We sure like to punish ourselves don't we? Good way to make sure you stick with a rotation though. Nothing against Insanity but I like the idea of rewarding myself with a pedicure or massage instead. ;)

Sam - Your DH sounds a lot like mine in that he supports me working out but doesn't do much himself (sporadic at best). I wish I could convince him to eat healthier, too. He's the one who brings home the ice cream, chips, etc. which I give in to more than I should. I have a goal of losing about 30 pounds but it is HARD. I was doing well on South Beach a couple weeks ago before Spring Break and I need to get back on the program and dedicate myself. Summer is coming fast. Where did you live in Waukesha? We've lived on the west side now since '93. It's changed a lot since we first moved here. . .

This morning was STS Disc 31 Chest and Back 3 sets. Should do abs tonight. It's been awhile since I've done any. :eek:

Hi! Today was my rest day. I think I´ll run 3 days and rest in between as opposed to doing weights.

Laurie, can you ask DD for me how much to taper off? My race is June 3 and is a 10K. My long runs are around 7 miles. According to one coach I´ve been looking at my long runs should now be around 4 miles. what does DD think? and thank her for me ;):D

Sue, On meso 3 I do 3 set too, usually, especially when I´m strapped for time. Why do you think Cathe does 4 and do you think it matters that much? Kudos to you for being able to hoist 75#. I remember the first time through STS and I got so frustrated/mad that I couldn´t lift my weight. So i just do dumbbells and actually since the chest is my least favorite to work out, I decided not to care :eek:

Sam, nice mother´s day gift from DH! So if he´s running 20 minutes he´s probably running close to 3 miles (or more, maybe), so that´s not really bad!

Heartymax, good idea to increase those weights! it´s amazing what we can do with someone to challenge us!

Hi Susan, and karen!

Hi,

Ran 7 miles yesterday and biked 25 tonight. Haven't gotten a lot of workouts in lately but have been enjoying the urban rebounding xt workouts. We are doing a 63 mile arcadia brute, tons of hills on Sat. Haven't been riding much due to busy kids and job so it should be interesting. Plan on a 1/2 marathon in August in Minneapolis. We shall see.

Lala, you are going to rock in your race. Are you still walk/running some or all running now? Thanks for the message, just checked it tonight.:)

Sue, Nice job on STS. Good idea shortening the workouts, they are a bit long.

Susan, too funny about rewarding yourself with Insanity after P90X. I have Asylum but haven't tried the workouts yet.

Laurie, I think I started working out with Cathe about the same time as you did. I bet you can't wait to use your bright pink ball.

Heartymax, did you start STS again? Meso 3 was my least favorite too except I do like the Plyo leg workouts.

Sami, nice to have another Buff Badger. Wish my eating was as good as yours is. I like 4DS a lot. Fun workouts and great music.

I am 46 and have six children from 20 down to 8. Three boys and three girls. I work as a teacher's aide in a preschool and fill in at the daycare when they need me.

DD is graduating June 8th and we are having her graduation party the weekend before. Not much time. I'm gonna cry when she walks that stage. Actually my 20 Lauren is walking the stage with DD18 but will go back for her last year as she can go until 21.

Have to get some laundry and the kids in bed.

Have a wonderful night.

The first 5 intervals of IMAX3 this morning. Promise not laugh at me----I was wishing for a MESO3 rest break after those blasts. :eek:

Karen---glad you checked in and are enjoying your bike riding. 63 miles---wow--Have fun! Yes, I started STS again. Will do Meso 1 and 2.

lala and Sue---3 sets of Meso 3 was enough for me on most exercises. It was a combination of time and boredom. I already get up early enough and I prefer to squeeze in some abs vs. set 4.

Sam---I gave all my FIRM videos to a colleague last year to give to her daughter. They were just collecting dusts. She had seen an informercial so I figured I would offer a chance to try them without making a purchase. I loved the old FIRM and appreciate the fact that it got me into home exercise and introduced me to Cathe. I two two wooden fanny lifter boxes and still used them for leg presses since I don't have extra risers for my step bench. I remember when i purchased that wooden box and thought it was the strangest thing in the world. My DH exercises here and there.....I really wish I could get him to focus more on exercises and eating healthy. I wanted him to try STS with me.....he gives me the "that is for girls" look.

Susan----I am sure you will get to "reward" yourself. Did you find P90x boring?? I can't remember how my co-worker described it. It seemed like he wanted to do something....knew he had P90x but just wasn't eager to do that again.

Laurie---you will be "balling" soon:D

Have a great day ladies!

Hello ladies! Today for P90X I am supposed to do YogaX. Well, as most of you know I do not like yoga, but prefer Pilates. However, instead of Tony's yoga I am going to do Jillian's Yoga Meltdown. DD has a Spring choir concert tonight or I would try to get on the elliptical, we'll see...

Heartymax, I wouldn't say I found P90X boring, I just was itchin' to do some Cathe last time. I like the workouts (all but yoga!) I just love Cathe!:D

Karen, hello there! Glad to hear you are doing well. 63 miles?! WOW!:eek:

Lala, I don't think you'll have any trouble with that 10k! You are doing awesome!

Sue, I am not one to pamper myself with manicures, etc.. I prefer to beat myself up! LOL!:eek:

Sam, my DH is a sporadic exerciser as well. This week he decided to start using our elliptical again, after a 2 month break. He'll workout for a month or so and then slack off for a month or so. It's funny, when I told him I was "P90Xin'" again, he started working out again. I told him her could use the P90X and he said he doesn't need it! HA!

Laurie, I started with Cathe back in 1998 when my DD was 2. Her Maximum Intensity Cardio was my first purchase! Then I was hooked!

I am so happy Spring finally decided to arrive! Have a great day!

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.