Broken Ribs

I am seeking the advice of Cathe or anyone else out there! On November 12th I fell while walking my puppy outside and landed flat on my back. It literally knocked the air out of me, but I eventually got up and walked the 3 miles back to my car. I eventually went into the doctor because the painwas so bad a week later and the x-rays revealed I had broken two ribs, one displaced and one not displaced. After two weeks I was eventually getting better. I was outside walking on my driveway the night before Thanksgiving and long story short, tell on my back again. This created quite a setback. The past three days I have been trying to walk on my treadmill, but am very short of breath. I only make it for about 45 minutes at a small include and not more than 3.5 to 4 mph. The most upsetting thing about this is I received my Ripped with Hiit in the mail yesterday. My question is how long is this going to limit my workouts and should I try doing any of the workouts now or wait until I am completely healed. I already feel that I have lost a lot of what I was once able to do.

I am so sorry, Brenda! How frustrating for you.

Based on personal experiences from my own injuries in the past (stress fractures on my foot multiple times), the only way you can really know how long your healing time is going to be is by listening to your body and listening to your doctor. I have learned the hard way that rushing back into workouts too soon only extends the injury and, thus, further delays your ability to get back into the swing of things. I know it's frustrating and definitely not what you were hoping for, but if I were you I would put RWH on the shelf until you are healed. I'm right there with you, but for different reasons...I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have decided it's best for my body and my baby to wait until I'm cleared for postpartum workouts to dig into RWH. It's filling me with envy to see all the fun everyone is having with these awesome workouts, but I know this decision is what I need to do right now because this is such an intense series. RWH will be there waiting for both of us when we are ready!

In the meantime, are there activities that feel comfortable for you and/or that your doctor is OK with? Swimming or water aerobics, perhaps? And it also helps me during my injured periods to really really hunker down on eating as healthfully as possible. That alone will be a challenge during this holiday season! Eek!

Again, I'm not a doctor. Just my opinions based on personal experience. Take them or leave them.

Sending hugs and healing vibes your way. Take care of yourself.

Lisa

Brenda, I feel for you. Years ago my father broke a couple of ribs. He told me, that it hurt to stand, hurt to lie down, everything he did hurt. He just couldn't get comfortable. My advice, (take it for what it's worth) give your body time. Eat very clean, and just do whatever feels good. Take it easy.

My very best to you. Healing vibes coming you way as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.