Bringing up the Rear Check-In

Hi there ,
I did Muscle Max tonight - LOVE that one ! She really does get your chest and tri's in Gym Style as well as MM . I think I had DOMS for the entire month I did GS Chest and Tri's .
Julie ,
I am doing full body 3x a week and you're right , It's easy to overdo the UB . I'm trying to spread out the really heavy work to 1-2 times a week and not the same muscles over and over . Lowering the BB chest press may be just the right thing to finally get the good form down . I'm laughing at getting so fixated on those , " Milestone ", numbers - "165 - woo hoo ! " I think I'm just a geek at heart !
Carolyn ,
I'm having a hard time picturing what you're doing with those bands and the squat rack but it sounds really unstable and scary ! I'm so glad your walks feel great ! I don't think you have to add in that many HT's and GB's - just enough to do some moderate weight burn outs and a few sets of low rep heavier HT's . When I first hurt my knee thats what I did with the extra upper body work added and it didn't feel like I lost too much strength wise ...

Have a good night sleep better , both of you !

Much better sleep last night. So much so that I didn’t want to get up but I did. I did Get Glutes: bridges 2x5@165, 1x20@65; 1-arm body row 3x8; step-up/lunge combo 3x8@20; db military press 3x12@20; firewalkers 3x10 each way; sb toe tap 3x10 each side; side lying hip raise 2x10 each side. I added on Farmers Walks and extra back work. I think I am going to start subbing hip thrusts for all heavy bridge work. I just don’t feel my glutes and cannot get comfortable doing heavy bridges. I can do lighter and even bodyweight bridges and really feel my glutes turn on.

Carolyn DWP is Double Wave Pyramid from Cathe’s STS Hiit DVD. That’s great about your foot (I’m whispering so it doesn’t hear me). Glad to see you were able to get a nice walk in.

Amanda I like the idea of Bret’s hip thruster but the bench height and price are way too high for me. If the bench height was adjustable, the price might be a little high still but at least you would get more bang for your buck out of the thing.

Kate I am with you. I can easily fall into the trap of focusing on lifting as heavy as possible and forget about listening to my body or focusing on form. I am working really hard at trying to over come that.

Have a great day!

Today I did Flex Train and 3x30 quick GB's @75. We're trying to travel again this weekend so I'll have to skip one w/o so I did FT instead of Supercuts since I like it better.

Have a good night!

I got pretty good sleep last night again (yea!!). I actually woke up 15 minutes before my alarm and decided it was best to just get up before I fall back asleep and don’t want to get up. I ended up doing the band & bodyweight workout from Get Glutes and added on Tabatacise. I actually made it much farther in Tabatacise before having to take a mini break and took less than normal. Yea!

Amanda Great job on those GBs! Be safe in your travels this weekend.

Carolyn So sorry about your back. That has to be frustrating. I bet it was something with your gait being off. I hope you can heal up quick. Good thing you can still get a walk in. That will help.

Happy Friday!!!

Hi !
X77 last night ! I think I was feeling so tense and really needed a hard sweaty w/o but didn't want to keep doing the same cardio ones , so ....
The 1st part with the step was the worst . I forgot about how fast that comes up and really wasn't able to modify much in terms of impact . I went between looking dumbly at the screen to screaming [ in my head ] , " What &@*%*#@ happened to me ??? " That part with the 15 pound weight was never easy , but it used to be doable - I had to cut that part short both times . I did the rest using the discs for all of the jumping moves and it was really fun ! All of those jumping 180 turns can be done even faster on the disks - jumping jacks , burpees - etc. , same thing .
Carolyn ,
As soon as you mentioned your back I thought it probably had to do with how you've been walking or favoring your foot - it feels like it never ends , right ? The right kind of workout can feel good though and a hot shower is the best . Hope you can loosen it up !
Julie ,
So glad you finally got some better sleep . I think it totally makes sense to do the glute work in whatever way you feel it best . I read some people on the GG forum asking Bret questions that were somewhat similar to yours [but without the answers you have already figured out yourself ... ] They were really confused ! One said something like , " I only feel my quads on heavy HT's but my glutes burn like crazy when I lighten the weight a bit - what should I do ????? " Bret said they had to figure it out for themselves .....
Amanda ,
I'm sorry you still have to travel - are you still in the holiday spirit ? Probably not , but I hope you have a nice time !
Talk later !

Hi ,
So , I guess it was Fri . that I did Push/Pull + GG#5 w/o#1 [ I like the combo . I go very moderate on weight for PP [ about what Cathe's doing ] and then do the high - weight , low reps on GG . Squats - 1x8@75 , 1x8 @ 85 , 1x8 @ 95 .BB Glute bridge _ 1x10 @145 ,1x10 @155 , 2x20 @105 . Pull - ups - 2x5 , Wide Stance Good Mornings - 3x8 @55 . Dive Bomber push - ups - I subbed those for full ROM BB Chest presses . I did a lot of BB back work in PP so I wanted the chest worked too . 2x10 BB Chest Press a@ 45 lbs. YEEOWW ! NOW I get why my push ups are so shallow ! If I do these and lightly touch my chest w/ the BB at the bottom of each rep before I push out , I feel every muscle & ligament there is from my breastbone to my collar bones ! Learn something new all the time ! Side plank raises 2x10 each side . On Sat . it was Cardio Supersets plus the Bonus step . Today , I'd be so happy to just read or something but the house won't clean itself ...
Carolyn ,
Oh no ! It sounds like you really feel lousy . I hope you can try to take it easy . It's like everything starts to spread and suddenly you're saying stuff like , ' Well , my wrists are good though ! " Those disks have been a lifesaver ! Who knew that when I was being grumpy about Slide& Glide , that I was learning a whole alternate approach ? I was still completely DRENCHED at the end of X77 , so it's still a great workout !
Julie ,
I just wanted you to know that I dedicated my total ROM BB Chest Press to you ! The DOMS were not severe at all , but the sensation while doing them was crazy ! Work little fibers , work !!!

Have a good night all !

Saturday I did some cleaning and ran errands. Sunday was GG: TGU 3x2@12; JDL 1x8@80, 2x5@90; SLHT 3x15@BW superset w/ AHT 3x8@185,195,205; pu/row combo 2x9@25 superset w/band seated abduction holds 2x15 sec.; rack/overhead carry holds 2x60 sec. @ 23. Then it was lazy day Sunday. This morning I did Supercuts.

Carolyn Yea on the DOMS from B&G! I’m glad your back was doing better and you could get GS BSB in. I hope your foot is doing better today. Hopefully your bad spell with injuries is done and you can get back to normal.

Kate The first time I did the step in X10, I was the same way. In fact, it scared me so much I haven’t done it again yet. And the weights in the step portion are crazy frantic pace. Awesome numbers again on your weights. LOL on dedicating the chest presses to me. I think it is better to feel it during the move than to have DOMS afterwards.

Amanda I hope your weekend went well and your travel was safe.

Have a great day!

This morning I did Get Glutes: Pause Squats 3x5@80,85,90; SDL 3x3@170,175,180; 45 degree hypers 2x20@15; Chinups 2x5; Narrow Grip BP 2x8@65; Long Lever RKC Plank 1x30 sec. and added on To The Max step cardio, step tabata and 30/20 HiiT. We got snow last night so the roads were iffy at best with icy, snow packed conditions. It is so cold that the salt is not melting the ice on the roads. In case anyone is counting, 57 days to Spring!

Carolyn Don’t feel bad! I enjoy our conversations. When I see what you posted yesterday, it makes me happy to see that you are giving it your best and still listening to your body. I find the windmills awkward sometimes even when I don’t have a aches and pains. Focus on doing what you can and you will gradually progress over time.

Have a great day!

Good morning ,
Last night I did my Supersets/ GG combo . This and the Push/pull GG combo tuned out to be good full body mixes because I go [ comparatively ] light and then do the heavy sets w/ GG . Then mid - week it's any total body w/o I want . Love to play around ...
GG#5 w/o#2 Shoulder elevated single HT pause rep . 3x10 each side @45 .Double standing hip abduction - 3x10 each side . Pendlay row -1x6 @45 , 1x6 @ 55 1x6 @65 . RDL w/ Abduction - 2x10 each side @50 Lbs. Military press - 1x8 @15 , 2x8 @20 each side .
Julie ,
I looked online at my month #5 GG w/o's and they had month #6 up there , so of course I had to check it out . They're turning up the gas this month ! 4 strength w/o's a week and some of the older , harder ones mixed back in . Time to rearrange the rotations once again ! Do you geek out like I do going over 200 on those HT 's ? If you don't , then I'll do it for you - WOOO HOOO !
Carolyn ,
Don't ever worry about coming here to complain - I totally know how you feel , but we're all in this together , right ? It just feels overwhelming . If you're anything like me , you're almost more competitive with yourself than you are with others . You're NOT a downer ! Everything will just start to fall back into place again - I promise !
Have a good day !

Hi Everyone!
Today I did Cardio Leg Blast; I haven't done that one for a long time I liked it! I had to skip about the last 10 minutes I was running short on time.

We finally got all our Christmas traveling done; cold and snowy the whole weekend. This morning it was only about 4 and it's supposed to be colder this week with more snow!

Carolyn no worries; your not a Debbie downer. Yes, I have the GG lifetime membership although I haven't been keeping up with it like Kate and Julie. Not really sure why, I liked it but just haven't done the last month or so. I liked when I could do Cathe in the morning and GG in the evening 2x per week but I can't do that anymore so I've been picking Cathe. Julie and Kate definitely put me to shame with their numbers! :eek:

Glad you're feeling a little better. I generally wear healed boots for work and sneakers or flip flops the rest of the time...lately mostly snow boots!

Julie do you do your GG first and then all your cardio? That's awesome! My legs wouldn't be able to handle all that jumping and step after a heavy weight session.

Have a good night!

This morning I was going to do a workout despite getting an ok night’s sleep but when I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom the whole way there I had a shooting pain from my hip to my knee. It didn’t go away after a few minutes so I thought I better be smart and let it rest today. Not sure what it is. I can’t really tell if it is in my hip or my quad. Hopefully resting it today and maybe taking my tiger tail to it tonight will help.

Kate I have month 6 available to but I am only in month 4 and still have a week and a half to go. I think I am going to get behind but oh well, I like to plan ahead so I guess that is good. I saw the extra full body strength workout in month 6 and am excited! I do kind of geek and freak out at 200 lbs on the HT. I feel crazy putting that much weight on the bar.

Carolyn I love your attitude that today is a new day! That’s good that you got through FT (I’m saying all of it). Hmm! Not sure I am the best person to ask about shoes. If I could, I would walk around barefoot all day. Lately, like Amanda, I have been wearing snow boots into work. In nicer weather, I wear a pair of old New Balance cross trainers in to work and then switch into cheapie flats during the day. On the weekends when I run errands I wear my old NB cross trainers. When I do weight workouts, I am barefoot (well I wear yoga socks but no shoes) and I wear a newer pair of NB cross trainers when I do cardio or circuit workouts. I have never tried any of the brands you mentioned. Hope you can find something that helps you.

Amanda I can’t believe how cold it is this year. I guess we (or at least in Central IL) have been spoiled the last few years with milder winters. We are paying for it this time. I heard tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 5 with windchills in the -20s again. Yep I do my weights first and then my cardio. I am really trying to put an emphasis on the weights. Bret would prefer that we do no cardio but I am not there yet.

Man I was long winded in my responses today :eek:

Have a great day!

Today was Flex Train and 3x20 HT @85.

Julie I'm sorry to hear about your hip; hopefully you feel better soon! You're right the winters have been mild the last few years so I guess this year is payback. It's soooo cold!

Have a good night!

This morning my hip/leg was feeling much better. I wonder if I pinched a nerve or something (if that is even possible to do in your hip/leg). Anyway, I did Get Glutes: HT 2x5@205,215, 1x20@135; 1-arm body row 3x8; step up/lunge combo 3x8@20; db shoulder press 3x12@20; firewalkers 3x10 each way; SB toe taps 3x10; farmers walk 2x60 sec@35; side lying hip raise 2x10 and added on additional back work using my weight machine.

Carolyn Whew! Glad I could keep you entertained with my rambling yesterday. You did a good job listening to your body yesterday with your ankle. I am not normally good at listening to my body but I am working on it.

Amanda Awesome work on adding in the HT! Thought of you this morning when I got in my car and it said -5 degrees outside. That is of course without wind chill.

Have a great day!

Today I did Muscle Max upper body premix, seated band hip abductions, raised gbs and banded clams.
Julie I'm glad your hip is feeling better!
Carolyn do you go to the chiro a lot, does it help? I've always been curious but also scared to try one, not sure how I would like someone cracking and adjusting my bones.
Have a good night

This morning I did a bodyweight and bands Get Glutes workout then added on 40/20 HiiT. So happy it is Friday.

Carolyn Maybe you discovered the secret cure for ankles in doing Great Glutes! I am glad it is feeling good again. Hopefully the chiropractor can help your back. I am like Amanda intrigued but a little nervous about the idea too. Wishing for a happy outcome for Ellie’s vet visit!

Amanda I did some seated band abductions today and I just love those. I really feel them in my outer glutes. How do you like the banded clams? Haven’t tried those yet.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Today I did 4DS kickbox and legs, then I did 3x30 GBs at 85.

Carolyn I agree GS chest and shoulders is killer, all those push-ups and very little rest the whole w/o! My chest is almost always twitching by the end of the chest section.

Great news about Ellie!

Julie I do love the band work! The clams are really good, you feel the burn in the side and upper glute.

Have a good weekend!

Yesterday I did Afterburn single premix and band hip abductions, raised GBs and banded clams.
Taking a rest day today; we have our niece's first birthday party to go to.

More snow and bitter cold coming our way tomorrow is supposed to be a high of -5 and feel like -30 can't wait!

Have a good day.

Saturday I did Ride and then cleaned the house. Sunday was Get Glutes: TGU 3x2@15; JDL 1x8@85, 2x5@95,105; SLHT 3x15 ss w/ AHT 3x8@195, 205, 215; pushup/row 2x10@25 ss w/ Seated Band Abductions; rack oh carry 2x60 sec. @25,23. This morning I did CrossFire. Hope everyone is staying warm. Don’t know what other’s temps are like but we are enjoying a high of 2 today with a wind chill of -25.

Carolyn I always pause for longer breaks in GS C&T. It is supposed to be a bodybuilding series so the rests should be close to a minute. I think she is closer to 25 seconds. So happy to hear about Ellie. Hope your back is doing better now.

Amanda Hope you had a great time at your niece’s birthday party. Stay warm. I still cannot believe how cold this winter has been. I feel like I am living in Canada with this crazy weather.

Have a great day!

Today I did Drill Max; haven't done that one before. I really liked it but it's a long one...luckily today my work was closed because it's soooo cold -5 and with the wind chill feels about -30 going to be about the same tomorrow so I'll be home again!

I'm going to do some HT in a bit I'll keep with my 85lbs this week and up it next week; I'll add a few more reps this week.

Carolyn that's a lot of leg work! I think I'm going to do GS Legs tomorrow. I've changed up Cathe's rotation a bit but I think I'm beginning to see some results, I'm going to keep a pretty similar one next month and then maybe do Meso two for March.

Have a good night!

This morning I did Get Glutes: Pause Squats 3x5@85,90,95; SDL 3x3@175,185,185; 45 degree hypers 2x20@20; chin-ups 2x5; narrow grip bp 2x8@65; long lever RKC plank 1x30 sec. Then I added on the cardio only from Cardio Leg Blast. I ended up repeating the first half at the end because it didn’t feel long enough. After all that, I was ready for a nap but instead got to go out in -9 degree weather.

Carolyn That is quite the leg workout you did yesterday! Hopefully you can walk today. I am glad your back is doing so much better.

Amanda I love DM! It is a lot of fun but yes it is long too. I usually save those for days I don’t have to work. How lucky you got to stay home. It was so cold this morning trying to get to work.

Have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.