break from weight training

sbigelow

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I have been weight training for over 1 year now with a week off every now and then. I am getting somewhat burned out right now on weight training and would like to take some time off. What is a reasonable amount of time to take off without losing any muscle tone. I would continue my cardio workouts, however.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah

I think Cathe has touched on this topic in some form in the past, and I think she said a week.

Stacy

RE: how about trying yoga Sculpt

Would you consider trying Karen Voights Yoga Sculpt or some other type of power yoga for a period of time and then going back to lifting?

Karen Voights yoga sculpt is a great workout. I never thought it would have as many challenges as it does.

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I don't know too much about yoga but I could try it. Do you think Karen Voights Yoga Sculpt would be the best choice for someone who has never done yoga??

Thank You

Sarah

I was in your same shoes several months back. Burned out on weight training. I decided to try power yoga. I am an advanced exerciser who had never done yoga before. I got Bryan Kest vol 1 and loved it. Now I alternate 6 weeks of weights then 4-6 weeks of yoga. I always do about 4 days of various cardio. I really like alternating weights and yoga alot! I don't feel like I lose alot of strength, maybe a little but not much. With the yoga I gain alot of flexibility and the definition in my arms has improved. It also really seems to ruffle my feathers when I change up like this. I think it is a good thing!

Some people say not to take too much time off of weights but I find that it doesn't affect me much to take a break and it really helps not to get burned out. Now since I'm not burned out on weights I'm actually going to order the PS series for my next rotation. I already own MIS and PH. I find I like doing weights much more when I know I'll get a break every so often.

And oooooh the way that yoga makes you feel. I cannot even explain it. You'll have to check it out for yourself.

Try it. You can get kest vol1 at half.com for $9 or $10.

Good Luck to you!!

I think Karen Voight is OK to sart with. I'm not familiar with the other Yoga video mentioned, but I might consider it also. Good luck.

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

I also love crosstraining with yoga. I love the Total Yoga by Tracey Rich and Ganga White. I have only done yoga using tapes and I have no trouble with any of their videos. I do feel them! I got my first Total Yoga at Target for $6.99 then went on to order their others off their website. The older Aerobic Yoga is amazing, kicks the heartrate up and always gets my shoulders and triceps big time! http://www.whitelotus.org

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

I usually do 1 wk of yoga/cardio with no weights in between each rotation. I usually do 4 wk rotations so every 5th wk is just yoga although some of my rotations also incorporate yoga. I love Bryan Kest's series and my mom bought me Baron Baptiste Hot Yoga series for Christmas (tape 1 is easy but tapes 2 and 3 are tough). Give yoga a try, it's an excellent break from weights.

Lorrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.