Bread Machines?

MissL

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am considering getting a bread machine. I did a search for that subject on this forum and found that the Breadman and the Panasonic seem to be favorites. Has anyone had any experience with the Zojirushi? It is rated best by consumerresearch.com but also comes with a higher price tag. Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

MissL

I used my first Oster until I wore it out...:)...then I got a great deal on another Oster and have had very good luck with that brand.

My bread machine is ancient -- I don't remember what kind I have off the top of my head, but once it goes kaput I'm planning to get a Zojirushi. I've been admiring one from afar but I just can't justify the purchase while I still have a machine in good working order.:-(

I have a Zojirushi. The main reason I purchased it was because I wanted to make my own 100% whole wheat bread. It makes beautiful loaves of other types of bread, but because I live at 6,000 ft. I can not get a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread to save my life. There was a discussion on here maybe a year ago about my bread issues and all kinds of nice people were trying to help me out, to no avail. I tried contacting the Zojirushi folks to see if they had any suggestions, but they would never get back to me. I'm so disappointed because my beautiful bread machine just sits on my counter. I need to try to figure out some other healthy breads to make with it so that I don't feel that it is a waste of money (suggestions welcome). I don't like to eat a lot of bread for obvious reasons (too many carbs) but I do wish that I could figure out how to make 100% whole wheat in a breadmaker at high altitude. I'm not sure it's possible. I searched and searched and searched the internet and never did come up with anything.

Suz

We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I have a Breadman machine. It's approx 4 yr old and makes a nice loaf. I use it once a week as I detest paying over $3 for a loaf of healthy whole grain bread. I would recommend it.

There are tricks to baking in a machine. I just received Laurel's Kitchen Bread book for a gift. It explains the things to look for in getting a good ww loaf. Look for a machine with a rest/preheat period, a narrow pan (41/2") as wider loaves collapse, and a ww cycle. I didn't know this.... but it takes just a nickel's worth of electricity from start to finish to operate.

Considering everything it takes to bake a loaf It's $$ well spent.

Off to mix up a loaf of Anadama right now!:p Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses.

Michele--Did you do research on the Zojirushi or do you know someone who uses one? If you don't mind my asking, why are you sold on it? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ if it's really worth it.

Amy--I plan to use my bread maker mostly for whole wheat/whole grain breads, so the info you provided is very helpful. I think I need to pick up that book. Thanks.

MissL

MissL, I have to apologize. I was looking at the Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker, not the bread machine. I don't know how I got them confused, but I sure did.

Zojirushi is associated with high quality so I'm sure their bread machine is superior, too. Have you checked out the reviews on epinions? I look there a lot when I'm trying to make a decision between 2 or more products.

Here's a link to reviews -- HTH :)
http://www.epinions.com/search/?sub...searchbar_submit.y=15&searchbar_submit=Search

I've had a "Zo" on my wish list for years.

First heard about them from the King Arthur Flour Catalog. They use a dozen of them to test their recipes.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it!

I have the Zojirushi bread machine and it was more than worth the price tag! I like to make whole wheat bread and decent sized batches of dough. It has two kneading tools in it compared to the normal one, in addition if you are baking in the machine you get a normal shaped loaf vs. a tall skinny loaf of bread. There are 4 programmable memories that you can set up. I usually use it to knead and rise the dough, but shape it and bake in my oven.

Monica

I had a Zojirushi for many years and loved it! It finally died and now I have a Breadman. While both make decent bread, the Z. was a LOT quieter. I could sleep while the Z. was working, not the Breadman, much noisier. I primarily use my bread machine to make dough and homemade jam. I highly recommend making sure whatever model you get allows you to make jam--homemade jam is the best.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I live a mile from the King Arthur Flour store. They sold me on the Zo almost 10 years ago. I don't like the shape of the loaf. Other than that it's great. I primarily use it to make the dough that I either hand form or put in a traditional loaf pan.

I had a Zojirushi the first time but have had my Breadman for 10 years and I like it lots better. It does so much more than the Zojirushi and I can even bake bagels in it if I ever get around to it. No since in getting in a hurry, right? I use it to make all my Cinnamon Roll Christmas wreaths to give to my kids at Christmas.

Darlene

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.