Bowflex 6 week challenge

lorihart

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
As anyone looked into this challenge? We bought a bowflex last fall and I have not touched the thing yet.I am quit happy with my videos.But I was on my treadmill yesterday and I watched a infomercial about the bowflex, and it looked very interesting.Which is great considering that the thing is sitting in my family room.
I think I am going to take the challenge.I may still do 1 cathe full body strength workout a week.I am going to do cardio 6 days a week,plus 3-20min bowflex workouts,and maybe one strength or circuit stlye workout a week.
I am also going to follow the diet suggested in the book.I am not going to follow it right to a "T" but just the guidelines of it.
Anyway,everyone wish me luck!:) If anyone else has a bowflex in their house and is interested in joining me OR as any info on the matter that would be great to.
Lori:)

Is the challenge on their website? We own a Bowflex and I used it alot until I discovered Cathe. A friend suggested just yesterday that I incorporate it into my fitness routine and circuit style stuff. I'm up for the challenge! But where the heck is it? Alexis

Lori,

I bought a bowflex for my husband for Fathers Day last year, for he said he would use it - it is the ultimate top of the line - I paid $2,200 for it and he has only used it a few times!

I started thinking of using it myself for what a waste - but it seems to take long to figure out how many rods I will need per exercise, so I did start writing down and figuring out all the exercises I would incorporate and how much poundage I would need - it seemed so time consuming - I only got the chest exercises figured out, then I got the BB Series - so I just quit trying to do the Bowflex!

Now, I have been doing to BB Series for almost 12 weeks now - so maybe I should try to incorporate it in my rotations - I just started taking up karate with 7 of my kids this past November, too. Plus I home school - but I am sure once I put the time into it - it will be worth it.

Maybe you can help me in that area - do you have any suggestions on how to make it a quicker process - I hate using my workout time not working out - do you know what I mean. But I am definitely up to the challenge!

Cheryl

I also like the music when I work out - so I guess I could invest in some good workout music to go with the Bowflex workout - then I would be all set!

Alexis-the 6 week challenge came with our bowflex.It also comes with a daily diet guide.If you can't find the diet anywhere I will post it for you.I can also post the workout for both of your benefits.It is only a 20 min workout 3 times a week.I am sure I can find time for that.The diet is a 1200 cal diet,which I am sure will be enough when it is the right food:9 Then the 3&4 week it is a 1100 cal diet and for the last 2weeks it is a 1000.I don't think I am going to drop down that low.
The only thing I read AFTER I posted this was they suggest that you don't so any other exercises for 6 weeks.I am not going to listen to that.I guess it is o.k for people who don't normally workout but I think if I stopped doing everything else,I probably won't see any changes.
Cheryl-I know what you mean about the hubbys.Samething thing here.Apparently it was his new years resolution and he only worked out once so I thought I would give it a try.It is a waste and I am going to get very mad if it doesn't get used.We paid $2800 for ours but thats canadian dollars.
The workout looks like this-

Leg Curl
Leg Extension
Bench Press
Lying Bicep Curls
Lying Shoulder Pullover
Seated Ab Curl
DO 1 set,8-12 reps and no longer then a 60 sec rest in between.YOu also have to count 4 up and 4 down.Go heavy enough that you can complete 8 reps but no more then 12.After each exercise ,increase your resistance by 5%.(I am not sure what that means yet,I would think that I would be using heavier weights on my legs then arms)
Every week looks the same.The 3&4 week you only rest 45 sec between reps.The 5&6 week you only rest 30sec.
HOpe this helped,
Lori

OK, that's what I thought. But I just found out that I'm undereating and need to get up to about 1700 cals a day. I'm at around 1000-1200 and no weight is dropping! I'll give this a try but I'm with you, I'll probably do 4 cardio days for only 1/2 hr each and maybe one Cathe total body per week. Let me know if you're serious about this and I'll join! Alexis

Oh I'm serious.Today is the day that I start! I think I will be eating a little more as well.It won't be enough cals to keep me alive if I am doing cardio.
It also suggest that you drink ALOT of water.Each a little more each week.Do you have the book? Its in the oweners manual so you must have it.
I am going to take my measurements now shortly.
I will chat to ya soon,
Lori

Hi Lori and Alexis ,

Have fun on your challenge together!

I was reading the above and couldn't believe how low the calorie intake was for the day! Be careful not to undereat and make sure you are fueling "your" body properly for "your" days activites and your individual needs(especially if you are adding to this program)!

Train Smart, Eat well and let the challenge begin }(
Have fun!

OK, I'll admit it. Francine is the one who is helping me develop a program. I have to be careful what I say here cuz she's WATCHING me! LOL The good news is I can eat more! Yay!! The bad news is I have to work harder at cardio. Francine forgets that I'm an old lady! :)
But I'm up for the challenge. Excuse me now, I have to go eat an apple or something :) Alexis

Yeah,I know the calorie intake is low.But you wouldn't beleive that I haven't been very hungry.I started to get hungry before each meal,which is not to bad.I diffently wasn't starving.I also ran for 1hour and 45 min,I think I can cheat a little.
Thanks for the advice francine,its always good.:)
Lori

You are soo funny!

Hi Alexis,
I actually seent this post and thought of you right away! I was gonna email it to you but seen you were all ready to take the challenge anyway!
Too funny!

RE: You are soo funny!

HI Alexis:
Did you workout yet?:) I did the program yesterday but I didn't find it challenging enough.What does cathe have done to me???? So, I am going to pick a different one from the book.
Just one set of each exercise was do'in it, but I didn't think it would.I am either going to do 20min upper/lower body workout-done 4 times per week OR the 20 min better body wokrout done 3 times per week.What do you think?
Lori

Lori, Francine sent me a cardio Bowflex interval kinda workout that I'm going to do. Or we could do three sets of the better body workout. I kinda like that one cuz it's on the chart :).

That sounds interesting to.I did a workout last night but I am not sore yet.I should be b/c I had to lighten up on the last set on a couple of the execises.
I got a great breakdown of the 60-20-20 plan if you want to check it out.It is on the flab blaster rotation check-in and you can also go to fitday.com,register there, and if you have time you can write in everything that you have eaten that day.Just in case you don't know,cause I didn't know how to break down that plan.
Lori

Hi, I was wondering what is everyone's impression so far? I have a Bowflex as well and it's been doubling as a coat rack for quite some time. I have the urge to do some non-Cathe stuff (did I say that??!!)for my next rotation and I'm considering the Bowflex.

:) Stacy

Lori,

I will be doing the Bowflex starting next Monday - I am in the process of putting together a good rotation - I like to make up my own rotations. I have been doing Supersets Upper Premix 2 sets and Push Pull Premix 2 sets three days a week and the Premixes for the legs three times a week. So, I already knew that the 20 minute cycle wouldn't be good for me.

I have gone through the manual and picked out the exercises I want to do and arranged them in an order that I won't have to keep changing the settings on the machine - and I am going to do the push/pull method Cathe uses. That way I won't have to rest between sets - I will do one chest - one back - one shoulder - then back to the same chest exercise - to back - to shoulder, etc. Then, I will do the same with the biceps and the triceps - I will incorporate the upper body two dys a week then do the lower body two days a week with the same principle. Quads, hams, adductors, abductors - then repeat.

I am figuring out the weights I will need this week before I start - so I can dig right in on Monday. I hope to do 2 sets of 8 - 10 reps with three exercises per body part.

I am used to doing upper body for 90 minutes three times a week already. So, now I will do it for two days instead!

Cheryl

I just started using Fitday (cause Francine is making me) and it's wonderful. Nothing like I thought and it's great for keeping track of what you eat. I thought I was eating like a piggie and turns out I'm not even close to what Francine wants me to eat. I'll check out the 60-20-20 that you mentioned. Alexis

Wow cheryl,you are putting alot of thought into this workout.I never focus mainly on weights,but it seems like alot of people around here do.
Anyone who wants to join us is more then welcome.
Lori

When we got our Bowflex, I used it religiously. It amazes me that so many people don't. I only stopped using it because I discovered Cathe and have been meaning to get back to it. And now I will! Alexis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.