Body fat

Mariposa1973

Cathlete
Hi every one I need advice please. I'm 39 years old, 5'6 tall and 145 lbs, my goal is not lose pounds is get my body fat down, I eat healthy, now I'm doing Xtrain. Thank you.

Hi there. Clearly not Cathe but most often dropping body fat is a matter of diet and low intensity, longer SS cardio - you know, the boring stuff, where you are burning fat for fuel, not sugar. ;) What is your body fat now, what do you want it to be? You say you eat healthy - in my experience there is a HUGE difference between eating healthy and eating for fat loss. What is your diet like?

Hi every one I need advice please. I'm 39 years old, 5'6 tall and 145 lbs, my goal is not lose pounds is get my body fat down, I eat healthy, now I'm doing Xtrain. Thank you.

Here is an article by Cathe on SS cardio:
Cathe Friedrich - Are There Still Benefits to Steady-State Cardio?

And here is one about HIITs (which is better for calorie burn):
Cathe Friedrich - High-Intensity Interval Training for Weight Loss

And here's an article by Muscle & Strength that compares the two types of cardio: The Cardio Question: What Type Of Cardio Is Best For Fat Loss? | Muscle & Strength

Hi there. Clearly not Cathe but most often dropping body fat is a matter of diet and low intensity, longer SS cardio - you know, the boring stuff, where you are burning fat for fuel, not sugar. ;) What is your body fat now, what do you want it to be? You say you eat healthy - in my experience there is a HUGE difference between eating healthy and eating for fat loss. What is your diet like?

Hi, my body fat is 25 and I want to go down to 23 but I do have lower back problem stenosis more clear and I can't do extreme cardio, you think if I do WW help me to get my body fat down, no weight loss only fat.

Not Cathe, but in my experience, I also have stenosis, which as you know limits, jumping, etc.. I found that really helped me was spinning. I got the proper equipment, padded shorts, shoes, ans take the express class 2-3x a week, It's about 45 minutes and really gets heart rate up without the stress on back with proper form. It took about 4-6 weeks to see the difference, but well worth it. I also walk, and step w/o jumping. can't stress enough that weight training played a big part to, as well as diet. I found I was gluten intolerant (no fun), but it helped also, by switching from crackers, cereals, etc.. to veggies and protein. I am 51 and see definition I never saw before. You can do this!!! you have my support all the way!!!
Best of luck on your new journey!!!

Not Cathe, but in my experience, I also have stenosis, which as you know limits, jumping, etc.. I found that really helped me was spinning. I got the proper equipment, padded shorts, shoes, ans take the express class 2-3x a week, It's about 45 minutes and really gets heart rate up without the stress on back with proper form. It took about 4-6 weeks to see the difference, but well worth it. I also walk, and step w/o jumping. can't stress enough that weight training played a big part to, as well as diet. I found I was gluten intolerant (no fun), but it helped also, by switching from crackers, cereals, etc.. to veggies and protein. I am 51 and see definition I never saw before. You can do this!!! you have my support all the way!!!
Best of luck on your new journey!!!

Thank you, how you deal with the pain, is hard for me in the morning or when I seat for to long. I have some medication for and help

Hi, my body fat is 25 and I want to go down to 23 but I do have lower back problem stenosis more clear and I can't do extreme cardio, you think if I do WW help me to get my body fat down, no weight loss only fat.

Honestly, I think it depends on what your diet is like now. Do you think you will benefit by learning more about eating for fat loss from a company like WW? Or do you already have a good working knowledge of how to eat for fat loss, but need to apply those principles more consistently? Do you know what your calories and macronutrient compositions are? Again, sorry to repeat, it sounds like you should be eating for fat loss based on your stated goal.

Honestly, I think it depends on what your diet is like now. Do you think you will benefit by learning more about eating for fat loss from a company like WW? Or do you already have a good working knowledge of how to eat for fat loss, but need to apply those principles more consistently? Do you know what your calories and macronutrient compositions are? Again, sorry to repeat, it sounds like you should be eating for fat loss based on your stated goal.

I don't count calories, I'm try to eat more protein, less carb, maybe is to much to ask, can you give me example how to eat for fat loss no weight loss

Hi Mariposa,

I am by no means an expert, but I will try to answer/help you out as best as I can.

First off, you say your goal is fat loss, not weight loss. Your BF percentage is 25 but you want it down to 23, right? And you also say that you are trying to eat more protein, less carbs?

In regards to the fat loss vs weight loss - fat loss very well may result in weight loss, but it's good that you are able to say you seek definition versus a # on the scale.

Also, in regards to trying to eat more protein, less carbs - this is subjective. You may be eating less carbs than you used to, and it still could be far too many carbs to produce a noticable change in body fat composition. I would suggest tracking your food intake for at least a week, without making any changes. That way you know where you're at - say you find yourself eating 400g of carbs a day, well then, you know you will probably need to cut down.

Also, when do you eat? How many meals a day? Do you snack? Have you ever lost fat/weight before successfully w/ a specific program? And what kind of carbs and protein are you eating? Even if you are eating lots of whole-grain products that are carb-heavy, even though they are considered (by some) to be healthy, you may still be simply eating too much. Same for calories in general. :)

Let us know what you can and we will try to guide you in the right direction!

In the meantime, Eating Clean is a great magazine to check out that stresses both healthy eating and eating for fat loss. Here is some link to a sample menu to give you an idea of what to possibly eat:

http://agilityfiles.cleaneatingmag.com/MEAL PLANNING/meal plans/ce20mealplan.pdf

I wanted to clarify my post above, that the link I referenced is ONE way of eating for fat loss.

Others have had success using other methods, such as WW (that stands for Weight Watchers, which you can follow for free - you don't have to pay). Another method some use is called the Paleo diet which emphasizes organic grass-fed meats, eggs, nuts, vegetables, and for some, fruit and dairy. It is a low-carb approach.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.