Body Beast

Yesterday was the leg workout for me. I told myself that I would go as heavy as possible, and still keep his quick pace. I love this workout ( I think I'm bored with squats) something new. Especially the step-ups to a lunge. I did keep up, got a great workout. Nice cardio factor with this workout. No DOMS this morning, maybe by this evening.

Jengolf - I added a few rounds of Tabatacise on to Chest and Tris. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. After Legs I may add on some yoga (Travis' Short and Sweet maybe). I'm going to have to play it by ear. I may up my starting weights to see if I can tire myself that way - I'm sure it's just a matter of getting to know the dvds.

tslop - very sorry to hear you're not well. Good on you for being able to add muscle. Definitely do as your body is telling you. There's a reason you feel trashed after a workout - your body has a lot to deal with. All the best xx

Anyone else in the Bulk phase yet? I did the first workout, Chest, yesterday, and I'm on the fence about whether I like it or not. I think overall it was a good workout, and I am a little sore today. However, on some of the exercises he does the reps so incredibly fast, there was no way to keep up safely with the heavy weights I had. By the time I finished one rep, he was on rep 3 or 4. I had to stop and get lighter weights to keep up and then it seemed more like an endurance workout which is not what i was expecting. I previewed the Legs and Arms workouts and it looks like he does some of those exercises at a fast speed also. I guess I just never thought doing fast reps with a lighter weight was a way to bulk up.

Really? I start BULK this week. Chest tonight. Didn't want to hear this. Guess I will just have to pause the dvd. I'm bummed. Love to hear other reviews.

Anyone else in the Bulk phase yet? I did the first workout, Chest, yesterday, and I'm on the fence about whether I like it or not. I think overall it was a good workout, and I am a little sore today. However, on some of the exercises he does the reps so incredibly fast, there was no way to keep up safely with the heavy weights I had. By the time I finished one rep, he was on rep 3 or 4. I had to stop and get lighter weights to keep up and then it seemed more like an endurance workout which is not what i was expecting. I previewed the Legs and Arms workouts and it looks like he does some of those exercises at a fast speed also. I guess I just never thought doing fast reps with a lighter weight was a way to bulk up.

Interesting. I'm glad you posted this because I was wondering. I am still in Build and will be for this week and next week. I acutally noticed he does that in some of the Build workouts. When you get to the last 8 reps and you're supposed to be at your heaviest weight--sometimes he does the reps so fast it's hard to really go as heavy as possible.

Keep us posted on the other workouts.

I decided to write the workouts down then I can go at my own pace..besides not eye candy for me I agree that it begins to feel like endurance! Sts was great because you had a written copy and didn't need the video.

I agree. I noticed in BUILD his counting was just too fast for the weight I was lifting. I was hoping he would slow it down in BULK.

In Build, it seemed to me he was lifting faster on the reps when he had very heavy weight and was using momentum to lift it as opposed to good form and strength. In Bulk, he lifts fast regardless of how heavy or light the weight. Mind you, it's not on every exercise, but it was enough to make me a bit frustrated.

I agree about the speed. I did Build Legs today - those deadlifts with the EZ bar between your legs are really, really fast. The workout ends up being cardio as much as weights! I even found Tempo quicker than I expected - although he does some 6, 6 counts they're more like a Cathe 4,4.

I go as heavy as possible and just miss the last rep if I have to - I guess that provided I'm close to or at failure it doesn't really matter if I do 7 reps rather than 8. I hope I'm right in thinking that!

The workouts aren't testing me as much as I thought they would. I've had no DOMS, except for legs. I know you don't need DOMS for hypertrophy etc, etc, but I'm used to getting it with Cathe! No noticable change in my body, either - but I've only just started week 2, so I guess I should be more patient!

I've just been thinking about the timing- I'm much longer limbed than sagi. Probably makes a difference. I always like kcm's tempo the best, and she looks like she has long limbs....

I started Bulk phase this weekend after a holiday break so it was nice to get back to weights instead of just cardio and resistance bands. Bulk legs really tired me out saturday so I ended up doing a 30 minute stretch DVD after that. I do find he moves quite fast for some of the moves so I've just become accustomed to pausing the DVD as needed as I want to get the most out of a heavy weight workout. Those progressive sets are killer with the pyramids and i do have DOMS to the chest and legs. Not as wiped out from arms today but i was in need of an easier day as i have a circuit at the gym tonight. I don't think pausing until you finish all your reps is a bad thing and I do pay attention to the rest time on the screen and try to stick to that. I'm still glad I purchased the set, especially at a discount - and sure wish I had the tempo DVD's but too many $$ plus shipping to Canada. I have noticed my clothes fit better after completing the Build phase (followed by 1 1/2 weeks of cardio/ resistance band type exercise during vacation) but the scale hasn't moved so we'll see what happens. But i can't wait for Cathe's new workouts!!:eek:
Jamie

I started bulk chest today as well and I also thought the count was quick. I was also lifting heavy and I either went down in weight to keep up or rewind to finish the rep count. I found I was using momentum trying to keep up.

Sagi's speed reminds me of Cathe's Gym Styles. I still feel the burn, but like others have said, I have to choose lighter weights to keep up with the faster movement despite the fact that it is labelled a bulk workout. The only workout I've ever really done that gives me the time I need to go as heavy as possible is STS Meso 3. Even XTrain goes a bit too fast for my heaviest weights. That's just me. I must say that I do like the "whew!" winded feeling I get from keeping up with a faster tempo, even if it means lighter loads.

Ok, did Bulk Legs today and the pacing was ok. I went a little conservative on the weights because of my experience on Chest, but I put "up" arrows next to most of the exercises for next week. I followed it up with the bonus barre section from Lower Body Blast (first time trying it...ouch!). Overall, a good workout with a good burn. We'll see how the rest of the week goes!

Justine, I'm with you on the long limbs! I've got such long arms and legs and I know that has an effect on some exercises.

Hello,

I'm the week 2 on the bulk phase and I am LOVING this program. Not a fan of the instructor he is super cheesy but affective. I have gained 2.5 pds but my clothe is fitting me better, I am hoping it's my body responding to the heavy weights and not actual weight gained.

This program is perfect for me because I hate weight workout longer than 45 min. I do my cardio in the morning and weights in the evening.

This was in a fitness letter I got today, and it made me think of Body Beast. No matter how fast the reps are, it's so important to keep good form. That's more important than trying to keep up. What I love so much about Cathe is how she always stresses how important good form is. Plus, I have been adding some cardio after the weights and was wondering if that was a good idea. If it was good enough for Arnold, it's good enough for me! :D

How to Get a Sleek Physique

Sleek Lines

Arnold Schwarzenegger built a body that stands out above others, even today. Yes, had big muscles. But he also had sleeker muscles than anyone else. They simply looked better than anyone else. Watch the movie Pumping Iron some evening and you will notice that Arnold simply far exceeds everyone around him.

His lines, his muscles, flowed together better than not only his contemporaries but also today's stars. They look blocky, crude, whereas his body smoothly flowed together.

True to Form

How did he do it? One factor was that he used better form than other lifters, particularly later in the workout. When they got sloppy, he stayed true to good form. And that good form makes a difference – a big difference. Form helps keep the targeted muscle working instead of cheating it out of the picture.

Extracurricular Activity

There was one other element that Arnold brought to the table that others didn’t – extracurricular activity. And not just any extracurricular activity. Arnold would often bike home after a workout (particularly in the formative stages of his development). And later on he would swim right after a workout. He pointed out how swimming helped his muscles unwind after a hard workout. And it must have worked for he created a totally unique physique, one that has not been matched to this day for overall impressiveness.

You can take out the blocky, unwieldiness of your own muscles by adhering to excellent form throughout the entire workout, and by some extracurricular activity post workout like bike riding and swimming and watch what happens to your physique.

Form

This was in a fitness letter I got today, and it made me think of Body Beast. No matter how fast the reps are, it's so important to keep good form. That's more important than trying to keep up. What I love so much about Cathe is how she always stresses how important good form is. Plus, I have been adding some cardio after the weights and was wondering if that was a good idea. If it was good enough for Arnold, it's good enough for me! :D

I like your post...Form is so important. In fact it's so important that there is no limit in reminding everyone. My thought is if I can not keep the form for a weight selected, it means there is still room for improvement. That is the attitude I personnally adopt. It does create a mental challenge I usually keep for myself:D I say to myself :I need to build up strength and endurance. As soon as I start lifting slightly fast a certain weight selection, it bring a smile on my face and I move on for more load!:D:D

There is always tomorrow:cool:. If I can NOT keep a spot on form, with a selected weight load at certain mile speed, I decrease the load till I build up the endurance and the strength to safely perform it. This is what keeps me motivated.The body was made to be challenged and adapt. It is fun for me. Probably not for everyone but this is how I perceive it.

I love playing with speed as part of the training component...cathe's speed has been infectious:):)

Happy lifting everyone :)

Last edited:
Maryjoe - thanks for posting! That will keep me encouraged through the next few weeks.

Catwoman - thanks for the article. I always thought that my muscles looked longer (less like 'bubbles') when I did yoga / pilates / swimming etc on top of my weight training. So many people discourage extra cardio at the moment, that I started to doubt myself. I feel confident to keep the extracurricular sessions now!

Did Beast Cardio today - for the second time. It felt much easier than the first time! Phew. :eek:

I agree. It's imperative to have excellent form. If you can't keep your form, drop the weights, for a lighter set. I also agree with the extra curricular activity. At one time I was a personal trainer and a certified group instructor. My best physique was when I was teaching about eight to ten classes a week, most of them had a cardio factor, along with my personal training.
Most of the people I trained with were instructors as well. Fabulous physiques, all of them!!

Thanks for that post Catwoman. I read a lot about body building and come across the same information, but then when you read about actual people, they often aren't following those hard and fast "rules." I watched a little special with the Rock and he does cardio every morning. He also eats white rice instead of brown and white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. There were other things but I was just thinking--look at him. It doesn't seem to be hurting him to do his daily cardio. And he said he did 45 minutes of it. I can't remember if it was on a treadmill or bike but it wasn't even of the HIIT variety!

I also read an article where a trainer said he couldn't get Gerard Butler to stop eating cupcakes during 300. He also went with his own trainer because he didn't like how strict the trainer the movie peeps assigned him was on his diet. I read that article a while ago btw so I hope I am remembering it right.

Anyway, I am cutting back on my normal cardio but I still do more than the Lean rotation calls for. I do the Beast cardio once a week, but I also do some form of HIIT 3 more times a week. I am also adding lots of stretching and yoga. An hour long yoga session once a week, a 30 minute yoga session once a week, Cathe's Extended Stretch from STS once a week, plus I add on her stretches from Xtrain Legs and Cardio Leg Blast to other workouts. Before Body Beast I almost never did yoga!

I'm in my 3rd week of Body Beast and though I am enjoying the workouts and this new rotation, I haven't really noticed any difference. I will admit that I don't spend much (if any) time observing my muscles/body in the mirror. But my clothes aren't fitting any different and my husband has always (before Body Beast) commented frequently on my muscles. He hasn't noticed anything different tho in the past 2 weeks.

I am of course not going to stop. I am enjoying it and I know I am getting great workouts. I am in love with the way Sagi works the back. It is some of the very best back work I have ever gotten and I will return to Back & Triceps and Tempo Back & Triceps frequently after I finish the program. I'm not a fan of Sagi tho. I don't find him eye candy and he is irritating to listen to. I have never found Jillian Michaels irritating or mean during her workouts, but I guess this his how her critics feel about her. My husband can't stand listening to Sagi (he is doing Body Beast, too). I don't find him that offensive. I can definitely endure it for his great workouts!

BTW--I'm still in Build, week 3 (I'm doing it a total of 4 weeks of Build before moving to Bulk).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.