Blood sugar and exercise

mars

I am trying to analyze why my body is not responding to exercise in the last few months and wanted anyone's opinion on this. There are 2 things that I am doing differently than I have been all these years - 1) exercising in the morning 2) lifting weights 2x/wk. I read recently that exercising with low blood sugar levels in the morning may cause your body to overcompensate. Has anyone had this experience?

My old schedule would be to work out in the evening after work during the week and in the morning on weekends (on an empty stomach).

If you eat properly as a general rule, your muscles have the capactity to store 1800 to 2000 calories, so getting up and working out on an empty stomach is not a problem unless you are working out at very high intensities for 90 minutes to 2 hours. In fact, eating after workouts lets you get into more fat stores. Have a cup of coffee and that'll help too.

You may have hit the imfamous plateau. You may need to change your workout a bit. Add intensty drills, lift heavy weights, do circuit training to shock your body and wake those muscles up!

Good luck!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

I found this good info from Covert Bailey (who I highly respect):

Proponents of the exercise before eating theory believe that glycogen stores have been depleted overnight, which enables fat to be tapped faster and more effectively.

The idea that fat will be burned if sugar is low seems to make sense but it doesn't work that way. There's a well-known phrase in physiology textbooks, which states, "Fat is burned in the flame of carbohydrate." In other words, you always need a little sugar in order to burn fat. If sugar is too low, the body doesn't convert to fat burning, it converts to protein burning.

We see this clearly in marathon runners during the last five or six miles of their 26-mile race. They've used up their glycogen (sugar) stores and their bodies start burning amino acids (protein) like crazy. So if you happen to have low glycogen in the morning, you're more likely to burn valuable protein (which comes primarily from the breakdown of muscle tissue) than to burn extra fat.

Now, to make my answer even more confusing, note that in the last sentence, I said IF you have low glycogen. In actuality, your glycogen stores are probably just fine in the morning. Remember, glycogen is stored in muscles and you don't do much muscle activity when you sleep. The sugar that might be low in the morning is your blood sugar. If your blood sugar were low, the result of exercise would be the same; that is, you would probably burn up protein rather than a lot of fat. For this reason, it's a good idea to drink a little orange juice to elevate blood sugar before you exercise first thing in the morning.

The latest Muscle & Fitness Hers mag has an article on bodyfat breakthrough (ways to bust out of diet plateau).

Speaking about breakfast, the article said to "eat within an hour of rising to kick-start your fat-burning engine, replenish nutritional stores and set up your metabolism for a day of alimentary success. Sassin warns that doing cardio before breakfast may be a bad idea. 'If your blood sugar is already slightly low in the morning, doing cardio on an empty stomach can deplete you to the point of no return.'" She suggested having a protein shake/banana/peanut butter/ - anything to get your blood sugar out of the negative zone.
(Cathy Sassin is the director of Intrafitt Performance Nutrition Center at Gold's Gym)

Personally, I've never found it a problem exercising before breakfast, but it hasn't made much difference with weight loss for me (exercising in the afternoons or after eating works just as well for me).

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.