Bloating, Gas, IBS

I thought I would post my story in the hopes it might help someone else. I'm NOT saying what has worked for me will work for you. I'm hesitant about posting my personal business here, but if it helps someone then it's worth it.

In 2006, I had 2-3 months of reoccuring yeast and bacterial infections. Took a ton of antibiotics. After that, my stomach was never the same, and that's when I started having problems- gas, bloating (I looked 4 months preg. by the afternoon), and constipation. I went to a gastroenteroloist and had every test done known to man, seriously, except for a colonoscopy. I was even tested for food allergies and intolerances. I took out every food that can cause problems. After taking Zelnorm and a very expensive antibiotic for bacterial infections (Zafaxin), I was better for a year or so. Then Zelnorm went off the market. I became very depressed, due to stomach issues and a host of very tragic, unexpected events. I was put on a low dosage of Zoloft for depression. I stopped taking it late last summer. All my stomach problems can back in a month or so.

I then tried modifying my diet again. Took out the BSN Lean Dess. protein powder, Kashi Go Lean cereal, and added digestive enzymes, peppermint oil, and Cuturelle. That helped for about 2 weeks. It wasn't what I was eating that was causing the problem. So, I went to a gastroenterologist in my new area. When I told him I didn't know the problem was because I had tried everything, and mentioned that the only two real changes I'd made were really cleaning up my diet and stopping the Zoloft. He just about fell out of his chair.

He then told me that Zoloft is used to treat IBS, not because of depression or stress, but because most of the serotoin is found in our intestines, not in our heads. I didn't want to be back on Zoloft, but I decided to try it. Heck, I was out of options, and I couldn't walk around looking preg. every day. I skipped out on a beach vacation because of this problem! The doctor said that drugs are used for all sorts of reasons. Prozac being one of those. It's used to treat severe PMS.

It's been a month now, and I am back to normal. I'm taking 50 mg of Zoloft, Miralax, and Align probotics. It's been a miracle. The only side effect for me has been that I have to make myself eat. The Zoloft is making me not hungry. I think of it as being on Zelnorm again, and the doctor even said that Zelnorm did the same thing has Zoloft does, but people weren't freaked out about taking it because it was for stomach issues.

Here's a link to info. on using Zoloft to treat IBS. There are many on the internet, but they say the same thing.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-can-zoloft-help-with-irritable-bowel-syndrome.html

Sorry this got long. I hope it might help someone. I'm not saying to go out and get a prescription. Zoloft is only prescribed for people who have severe IBS, and it doesn't work for everyone, like any drug. But it sure has given me my life back. In the afternoons, I now look like I do in the mornings :)

I suffer from the same problem and am on amitizia right now for it, or i use miralax twice a day. I will have to look into this I used to be on zelnorm and it worked great for me.

Thank you for the info. My DD struggles terribly and after all tests came back negative, she was left with an IBS diagnosis. She has been prescribed dicyclomine..which helps sometimes, but not always. I've been reading about ALIGN so I think I'll get her some to try. And definitely will make note of the other. It makes sense because her flares are during times of stress (ie. exams)
Thanks again for the info!

My doctor gave me a sample of the Amitizia to try if the Zoloft didn't work. He said that the Ambitizia can cause many people to have serious nausea. I haven't used it since what I'm doing is working.

He also said that you can't overuse the Miralax. The Algin- he said that was his favorite of the probotics. I asked him why my stomach issues were so bad in the afteroon, and I thought it was because of what I was eating before that. He said that it was bec. we go 7-8 hours w/o eating at night, and it takes awhile for what we eat to kinda build up. Thus the afternoon issues, especially for me because when I had to gastric emptying done, it showed delayed emptying of my stomach compared to the normal person.

I'm just so happy that I'm back to normal. I finally feel like all my hardwork (eating and fitness) is paying off. It's hard to get excited about your results when you can't get past a 4 month preg. belly in the afternoon. And the gas... gosh, it was HORRIBLE!!

Glad that I could help :)

Did he recommend that Align, i had looked at it before but assumed it didn't work like all the other probitotics. I had some nausea at first with Amitizia but not anymore, I would love to get rid of the preg belly and the gas too. in the afternoon it gets horrible, and is just so frustrating.
so you just take the zoloft and align and that works for you?

Thanks for the information, I had no idea. Your post is also timely as I am taking my Mother to a gastro doc next Friday.

She's 92 and was diagnosed with IBS twenty years ago. I moved her closer to me a year ago (I'm 150 miles from where she was living). She's only seen her GP in the past couple of years and he had her on colestid. Her problem was so bad last month that she was hospitalized for a couple of days for dehydration. I made this appt. six weeks ago. I will ask about Zoloft during her visit. I've also wondered about probiotics.

I'm glad you posted as I will question the doc. Mom uses a walker around the house (osteoarthritis is in her back and knees) and has a problem getting to the bathroom in time:eek:

I just wanted to share that you are not alone. I too know so well that 4 month pregnant belly look, the pain and the humiliation. For the most part right know I have learned to control mine through what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. But I do take Hyoscyamine when I blow it or stressed and the gut acts up, but only as needed.

Do you think the Align probiotic really helps?

I'm not sure if the Align has helped, but he did recommend it as the one to take. I think for me it's the Zoloft first. It's helped move things along in my stomach- the gas, bloating, constipation. The Miralax has also been wonderful. My doctor really recommended that. The Align/probotics- I don't know if that's helped or not, but I'm sticking to my 3-part system since this is the only thing that's worked for me.

All the other things I tried didn't work for me because it wasn't what I was eating really (except for the BSN protein powder and Kashi cereals made it worse). So, cutting out foods, changing my diet, and taking the digestive enzymes didn't help. I didn't need to have something that helped me digest the food. I wasn't allergic or intolerant of anything (except for a very mild reaction to soy)

Zoloft is something to at least ask about. For me the benefits outweigh any side effects I might have, and for now it's only not wanting to eat much. My doctor said that Zoloft is basically Zelnorm but better and stronger. Also, Zoloft is supp. to help with diarrhea too, not just constipation and the other issues.

I just talked to my doctor and they said zoloft is no long available

Amanda, Zoloft is def. available, not sure why your doc said that. Was he talking about Zelnorm? Because that's no longer available. Zoloft is typically prescribed for depression.

I don't know the nurse called me back and said that you can no longer get zoloft. Hmmm I wonder why she would say that if you can?
she just told me to take MiraLax twice a day

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.