bloated

runfree

Cathlete
i am bloated and gassy all the time, sorry if too much info but i dont know what to do. I am lactose intolerant and avoid dairy cuz it does that too me but im still experiencing this. I ate eggs and go lean cereal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and was bloated. I even took digestive enzymes which are suppose to help with that. Any suggestions?

i am bloated and gassy all the time, sorry if too much info but i dont know what to do. I am lactose intolerant and avoid dairy cuz it does that too me but im still experiencing this. I ate eggs and go lean cereal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and was bloated. I even took digestive enzymes which are suppose to help with that. Any suggestions?

UGH...I know how you feel. I am still trying to figure out what my problem is, but I know for a fact that Go Lean gives me the same effects. I would definitely eliminate that.

I definitely don't want to distress you, but unless you are confident this is food related, I would go see you gynecologist right away. Unexplained bloating, gassiness, or digestive problems (among other things) can be a symptom of ovarian cancer.

I'm sure it's not that, since it's quite rare, and I feel terrible to the extent this alarms you, but I couldn't live with myself if I said nothing. I hope this is seen as coming from a caring place.

Did you eat go lean or go lean crunch? Also with these cereals you should make sure you carefully measure them out according to the serving size. You may have to work your tolerance up by starting with a half cup for awhile and then gradually increase to get up to the full serving.

Go Lean does that to me too! I figured out through trial and error that I am actually sensitive to anything with "soy protein isolate" on the ingredient label. As soon as I eat something with it (even tiny amounts!) I immediately get gassy and feel awful. The weird thing is, I can eat tofu. :confused: I don't know if it's because soy protein isolate is processed differently or what.

This is a funny topic - the tooting part, I mean.

My suggestion - and it's drastic - is to go wheat free (not sure you have to go completely gluten free). Once I went wheat free (I only have sprouted wheat or alternatives like corn, rice flour etc), I noticed a huge difference right away; the symphony stopped playing.

When I have the odd piece of regular bread or regular cereal (rare) - goodness how the trumpets rejoice! That has been my solution. My mom has noticed a difference too - she is in her '70's and talked often in the past about the uncontrollable machine gun hiding in her back pocket. With her scottish accent she would say "sometimes ah jus' canny help it":eek:

Good luck.

I agree with the others...Go Lean! OMG, this stuff tastes great but it tears me up! My poor husband (or should I say poor me:D) gets horrific gas from anything made by kashi.:( or wheat (including beer).
Some food for thought....it is estimated 7 out of 10 people (some research the number is higher) have some form of gluten intolerance.

Go Lean gives me major toots! I don't eat that anymore! ;)

Made me laugh so hard!!! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face so early in the morning. You are one funny lady!!!

Any type of high fibre cereal makes me gassy too, especially if you eat more than the suggested serving as Wandakusa said previously.

Trixoo is correct that you need to be alert for other signs of ovarian cancer (go to Ovarian Cancer: MedlinePlus or Ovarian Cancer: Common Questions About Symptoms and Screening). The problem with ovarian cancer is that the symptoms are so vague and often mistaken for many other conditions (e.g., bloating from food intolerance) that it usually goes undetected until it is advanced and deadly. I don't want to scare you, just make you aware of the need to be sure you don't have this serious illness. I lost a 54-year-old friend to it last year.

You may wish to try an elimination diet to determine what was really causing the gassy issue. I am also sensitive in the GI tract department. I have a whole list of foods that I avoid because frankly they cause issues:

1. Canned legumes.
2. Anything with fake sugars of any kind including aspartame, sorbitol, sugar alcohols,
3. Alcohols
4. I tend to avoid yeast based breads, they make me plump.
5. Often commercial/processed foods make this issue.
6. I don't eat processed cereals, they make the gas.
7. Some people don't tolerate cruciferous vegetables, kale is a big issue for me.
8. Some people have trouble with eggs.
9. Processed meats can contain added flavors and added smoke, which always cause terrible GI distress for me.
10. Same goes for any barbecue sauce.
11. Rice causes me terrible gas/GI pain.
12. Some cheeses cause me trouble, especially Bree and swiss.
13. Sulfered dried fruit or coconut. The addition of sulfer makes it taste terrible and gives gas too. Most dried fruit has that added. Bleh!

By now, you might be saying, what the heck does that girl eat at all??? Well, I eat lots of fresh veggies, fresh fruits, fresh grass fed beef, eggs (ok for me.), organic yogurt (plain!), organic milk (whole), organic butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate, organic green tea, lentils (home cooked.), peas, home cooked/soaked organic beans, quinoa, spinach (only cooked.), broccoli (only throughly cooked, otherwise its a goitergen.) I make my own barbecue sauce and my own teriyaki sauce with Tamari, ginger, garlic, and honey. Its not so bad after all. Cooking my fresh things really is more of a 'set it and forget' mind set. I do like home cooked steel cut oatmeal. Its very satisfying and helps with IBS discomfort, if you have that. Sometimes I make a batch of brownies from scratch. Its not that much more difficult than making a mix.

If you have an emergency bout of gas, try gas-x. Its dimethicone, and its inert in the body, its an antifoaming agent. It works really well to reduce the pain of gas.

I really like Twinlab's Enzyme Caps. They aren't cheap but they are effective. They do contain some HCL, which should not be taken on an empty stomach.

A couple of years ago, I went through a terrible bout of IBS due to a round of antibiotics. I was able to heal myself by going on a GF diet, taking Ganeden's IBS probiotics, drinking Kefir, taking a round of Triphala (3 weeks, 2 caps/2x/day.), using marshmallow root (some people don't tolerate it.), and I am finally feeling better. I'm not completely repaired, I do get tired. But, you know what? I can eat now, and for a long time I didn't digest anything.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Alisha

Ladies, thanks for sharing. I also experience gassy symptoms but not the bloating. I feel like everything I eat causes it. I am going to try a digestive enzyme and Probiotic and see if that helps.

Is this a one-day event or an ongoing problem? How long? (before everyone freaks you out over cancer) It's likely just what you ate.

I had that same problem with gas for a long time. I finally figured out that it was the fake sugars causing the problem. I was chewing Extra sugar-free gum everyday and everyday after lunch, my stomach would be howling. My stomach would be so loud that you would think that I had let one loose even though I was holding it in. It was so embarrassing. I'm sure my clients and office mates heard my stomach. When I was at home, my kids would look at me laughing thinking I had just tooted, but it was just the gas making it's way through my belly. I would warn them that it was only a matter of time before it found it's way out. This went on for years. Recently, I went about 2 weeks without the sugar-free gum and the gassiness stopped. I don't chew the suger-free gum anymore and I don't have a gas problem anymore. I guess my digestive system was having a hard time trying to digest the fake sugars. BTW, I was laughing so hard reading this thread.

Last edited:
Chewing gum in and of itself can also give you gas as you're taking in more air. Especially some people who do a lot of snapping and popping of their gum.

I had that same problem with gas for a long time. I finally figured out that it was the fake sugars causing the problem. I was chewing Extra sugar-free gum everyday and everyday after lunch, my stomach would be howling. My stomach would be so loud that you would think that I had let one loose even though I was holding it in. It was so embarrassing. I'm sure my clients and office mates heard my stomach. When I was at home, my kids would look at me laughing thinking I had just tooted, but it was just the gas making it's way through my belly. I would warn them that it was only a matter of time before it found it's way out. This went on for years. Recently, I went about 2 weeks without the sugar-free gum and the gassiness stopped. I don't chew the suger-free gum anymore and I don't have a gas problem anymore. I guess my digestive system was having a hard time trying to digest the fake sugars. BTW, I was laughing so hard reading this thread.

I do use a lot of Splenda. Maybe that's what's causing it. I will stop using it for a while and see if that's the problem. Thanks!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.