Best way to get back into things

Hi Cathe and all,

I need guidance formulating a workout routine that will work with my unpredictable, crazy schedule. I've included (too much) info below in the hopes that you can help me pick some DVDs to purchase that will be a good place for me to start.

I'm a 43 y/o one time professional ballet dancer/advanced fitness enthusiast who lost a lot of (fitness) momentum between graduate school, starting a high stress private practice, and having a child late in life (39). In between all of that, I have managed to work out in sporadic cycles; I'll get into a routine for 5/6 months, but something always ends up disrupting my groove (injury, illness, work catastrophe, etc.). So I haven't lost "it all," but am certainly not in the shape I was eight years ago. My goals are to lose 5 pounds, maintain/build back up my once great tone, and build some strength, esp. in my back.

Since the beginning of this year, I *had* been working out with Cathe on FitTV pretty faithfully. The level of the workouts is about where I should be in terms of complexity, although stamina and strength-wise, I have needed to rebuild from my former abilities.

I was beginning to get a little bored with the limited rotation offered on TV and have been considering purchasing some DVDs. (I also have an exercise room with an elliptical, universal-type equipment, and my husband's free weights). After another 4-week "lapse," I am ready to try to get back into things.

My biggest scheduling problems now are: 1) I am splitting caregiver duties for my mom, who has just begun chemo for cancer. Some a.m.s I may get a call and have to drive her to the doctor immediately. 2) I am the mother of a 4 year old. Some days he's up at 6:00, some days he wakes at 8:00. It is hard to plan on fully concentrating on a hard workout if he's awake and bugging me. 3) And yes, getting up earlier is often not possible. I work some p.m.s until 11:00. and need at least 7 hours sleep. Bottom line - I am going to miss at least two scheduled workouts per week, only I never know when.

As you may notice from my overly detailed post --- I am overwhelmed and NEED HELP getting back on track for good!

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Hi,

With everything going on in your life, I commend you for wanting to establish a fitness routine. For days where time is a short, I like the 4 Day Split and Cross Train Xpress dvds. You can mix and match workouts on those dvds for days when you have more time/energy.

HTH's
Wendy

You are one busy lady! :) First of all, good for you for wanting to add one more thing to your schedule! (One very important thing.) I work out to her on FitTv, and I too am getting tired of the same rotations. What I would recommend to you is to take a look at her video clips. She has some great samples, many 9 min. in length so you can get a good look at the dvds and see what ones are right for you. I can't begin to recommend any because there are so many and I don't know what style of workout you're looking for....kickboxing, step, interval...

I agree with Wendy in that the premixes on some of the dvds may suit you well. Personally, I'm going to order her Drill Max dvd because I love high intense blasts and it just looked plain fun! I've also heard that Terminator dvd is one tough workout. Well, which of hers aren't tough? ;)
Good luck in your search.

Thank you Wendy and Amy, both for your words of encouragement and your suggestions. Now, gotta get off of the computer and get moving!!!

Hi:

I think the recommendation of CTX is a good one. It allows you to fit in short bursts of exercise whenever you have a free hour, but no more, or even less time actually. Because CTX is divided into cardio and/or weight segments, it allows you also to double up on days when you have more time than you thought you might, hence maximizing your workout time/availability.

If you are struggling to fit exercise in and torn between wanting to exercise and your duties towards others, what you don't need is a gruelling workout that demands too much intensity from you or that demands that you adhere to a strict regimen in order to get all the workouts in the rotation done. So, I suggest you stay away from the new STS because being able to commit to a certain number of workouts per week is something you cannot do right now and being unable to complete the week's workouts can only add to frustration and stress levels.
Instead, get a couple of DVDs which are pure fun and which you will always feel like doing whenever you feel your stress levels are running high: for this try Step Blast and Rhythmic Step both of which are dancy and have great music, along with blasts you can choose to do or not, depending upon your energy level on each given day. Imax 2 is usually voted as the best of Cathe's step interval workouts for the "fun" factor of the moves and the fab music to complement the steps. As a dancer, you might appreciate these 3 the most.

It might be a good idea also to invest in one total body weights workout that you could do, maybe at the weekend, when you have at least an hour to workout. Muscle Max is a favourite.

What you need the most, I suspect, is the right attitude to make this work for you. Bear in mind 3 things:
--in spite of all your obligations towards others, you need and are entitled to look after yourself also, therefore your workout time must be respected by others.
--you are going to find it impossible to write out, ahead of time, fixed times to work out each week. Therefore, you need a flexible approach and a lot of self-forgiveness. Don't get into the mind set of thinking that you need to work out for a specific number of hours or number of times per week. Do what you can. Some weeks, you may be lucky and average 5 workouts. Other weeks, you may be struggling just to manage 2. This is my reality also, so I know what I am talking about. Keep your gym things handy so you can make the most of opportunities. Never think that a sudden amount of free time that opens up should be dedicated to cleaning out the fridge rather than devoting to your own health. No! Health first, fridge duty later!!
--every little bit counts. If you feel like watching TV rather than working out, compromise. Make sure you take a couple of pairs of dumbells with you in front of the set and pump out a biceps routine during a show, or get a few sets of squats and lunges in, challenge yourself to do pushups and core routines continuously during advert breaks. I do this all the time: works for me!

Hope some of this helps,

Clare

Clare,

Thank you so much for your very accurate analysis! and words of wisdom and encouragement. Yes, I am entitled to, and deserve, my healthy activities! And yes, self forgiveness and flexibility are key to a successful mindset.

I will start with the CTX series as a first purchase. And I like your idea of supplementing with some fun, dance-y, great music workouts.

Managed to get a great workout in this a.m. (finally). IT FEELS SOOOOO GOOOOD!

Thanks, everyone,
Shawn

In addition to Cross-Train Express (CTX) and 4-Day Split, I'd also like to suggest Cathe's Timesaver DVD from her Body Blast series. This disc is a compilation disc of footage from the other Body Blast workouts and is organized into five workouts, each of which includes cardio and targeted muscle training and each of which is decidedly under one hour. For the time-starved exerciser who doesn't even have a minute extra, Timesaver, CTX and 4DS are great because you don't really have to plan your weekly schedule; just do one workout a day for five days (or six or four respectively) and you'll hit all your muscle conditioning and your cardio variety by the end of the week.

HTH - you've got a lot on your plate, but self-care is very important. Hopefully these will give you some good tools.

A-Jock

I agree that 4DS is a great one to get to meet your needs, and since you are a dancer (once a dancer, always a dancer in my opinion.) I recommend Rhythmic step - it is long, 60 minutes so you may have trouble finding the time some days - but it is fun! I love to dance, and I like the more "complicated" choreography without the blasts some days and this fits the bill perfectly.

Another suggestion is to do your workout with your kid - do you have a runner stroller? And if that isn't an option, is it possible to walk to the grocery store? If so, put the kid in the stroller (or at least bring it along so when the kid gets tired you have it) or use it to put some groceries in for the walk home. Walking really does have a lot of benefits - mentally as well as physically, and it is easy to multitask with.

What about just putting music on and dancing with the kid? (I hate to keep saying the kid, I apologize for that) That'll put both of you in a good mood and be a potentially fun bonding experience? Or maybe I am being unrealistic here. I know my niece loves it - but obviously all kids are different.

Good luck with it and I am sure you will be successful - remember to be kind to yourself!

I have to concur with A-Jock - I think BB's timesaver has a way more fun factor than CTX. Hang in there, the more you do it, the easier it will be come. And also just accept that there are seasons in life that fitness is not the most important thing. Sometimes I neglect to remember that 20 minutes of movement is better than nothing!

Good luck! Welcome to Cathe-land!

angie

Aqua Jock and Angie -

Okay, you have convinced me. I'll throw the Timesaver disc into the mix. Looks like I'm investing a few extra $$ here, but I think, between CTX, 4DS and Timesaver, I will have PLENTY for some varied, upbeat rotations. I have a feeling that I will end up getting more of the BB series, based on your description, Angi.

Macbeanur - You have some creative ideas. My son and I DO put some tunes on and dance away. Sometimes. His attention span is short....so while I count that time toward "cardio" it doesn't add up enough. But it COUNTS! esp. on those days when I'm lucky to just take a shower. Liked your ideas about walk/jog to the store; however, we are in a rural area, far away from anything, so that is out. But we do hike when we can!

And to everyone who has responded: just wanted to say how welcomed and supported I feel already, as a new member of "Cathy-land." Thanks for taking the time to write down your ideas and words of encouragement.... really means sooooo much. I sorta knew I was "home" after seeing Cathy on t.v. and snooping around on the website and forums. Thanks! Here's to many more posts and many many great workouts!!!!!

Shawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.