Best Running Dog Breed?

JodelleFitzh20

Cathlete
So, I've noticed there are some real dog lovers here on Cathe's site and I'm thinking of getting a dog for my DH's birthday in October. I know I want something he and I can run with, so I'm wondering what breeds are the best runners?? My husband really loves rottweillers...are they good runners? We definately want a large dog breed. The larger the better in my opinion. If I had my way, I'd get a great Dane, because I love that breed, but not sure on how they do on running. Any suggestions from all you dog lovers out there would be greatly appreciated! I need a breed that's:
- a good runner
- great with kids (my nieces will be dogsitting alot when we travel)
- a dog that is not hyper but has a peaceful temperment
- a good watch dog
- loves water
- and a good watch dog

Let me know! THanks!

I really have no suggestion for big dogs. I run long distances with my dogs and they are the best running partner I could ever ask for but they are not very big. Before I had those guys I had a Labrador and a German Shepherd, I always thought that I am more of a big dog kinda girl but now after having spent the last few years with my Mini Australian Shepherds, I would never get another breed.

They are big dog characters in a small package. They are very protective and awesome with my kids. And they are so much fun. However, if size is what you are looking for, they are not going to be your breed.

I'd be careful with large dogs like Great Danes, Rottweilers, etc. due to their size and weight they are not really cut out for long distance running. It can really cause problems with their hips and particularly their joints, especially if they have to run on concrete or even asphalt.

I'll probably get slapped over the head by some of the Great Dane, Rottweiler and large dog lovers here :eek: I don't mean to discourage large breeds. I think they are great companions otherwise, just not for running.

Especially with dogs like Rottweilers, I don't think they are dogs for people who have little experience with dogs. They require a lot of training, a lot of leadership skills and a lot of discipline.

Keep us posted on what you decide. And you know that we need to see pictures once you get the new addition to your family :D

I would recommend a pit bull. They have been recommended before as being great running partners. They are actually wonderful family dogs, but of course, you would probably want to get a puppy because there is usually a reason that adults have to be rescued, and that may not be good with kids (although I haven't had issues with my adult foster dogs). My pittie (see picture) is hyper and playfuul when I want to be, and chills out when I want him to.

Rottweilers are my other favorite breed, and they tend to have the temperment that you describe you want.

As HIITdogs said, running long distances is not a good idea for giant breeds (like gigantic Rottweilers) due to joint and heart issues. But Rotties that are 70 lbs or under would be fine.

Are you in Minnesota? I have a very sweet small Rottie female foster dog who needs a home. :D

No, not in Minnesota, otherwise I'd take you up on it. Thanks for the suggestions though. I"ll check into both austrailian shepherds and pitbulls. I found a pitbull locally that needs rescued so maybe I'll research him bit more. I think my DH would dig a pitbull...does yours like running?

I'm also a fan of pit bulls! I have two of them - one I rescued and one we got as a puppy. They are both fantastic dogs with all the qualities you're looking for. However, as someone else mentioned, be careful about adopting dogs. My shelter dog is wonderful - he was already fully trained, listens really well, and is very friendly with adults. However, I don't trust him at all with kids. Whenever he gets around them, you can tell he's very uncomfortable. It makes me think maybe he was never socialized with them. Our little one loves kids! We socialized her really well, and she's in heaven when children are around.

In my opinion, I would do some research into breeders as well with a pit bull. They're expensive but worth it if you can afford it! That way, you can make sure that some of their common problems have been "bred" out of them. Not that this means they for sure won't have problems, but it does lessen the probablility. My little girl has already had knee problems and the beginning signs of hip displasia, so we're going to have some pretty serious problems with her down the road.

Anyway, just my food for thought!! Good luck & make sure you post pics!!!!

Yes, my dog is a great running buddy! I will take him on runs up to about 1 hour (that seems to be his limit right now). I would like to do a K9 5K race with him some day.

Carola is right on the mark about big dogs. With their hip and heart issues (possible), they are not really suited for long runs.

I would check the AKC website and read up on some of the different large to medium sized breeds to see if you can find a dog with the qualities you want. You may need to go with a smaller breed dog if you really want one that will run with you. The herding breeds would be excellent for that! You will find that your runners are usually in a more compact package!

Good luck!

I recommend finding a nice dog at a shelter that needs a home. I have found that most mutts end up being some of the best pets. There are so many doggies that have just been discarded and need a home. While I am partial to mutts, the shelters frequently also have dogs of specific breeds. It is worth checking out. The shelters will normally tell you about their personality and will often let you spend time with the dog before making a permanent decision.

Best wishes on your search for a new family member!

Monica

You guys are great! Keep the suggestions coming, this is some much needed info! We will be first time dog-owners so it's kind of thrilling for me, and my husband has no idea I'm getting him one even though we've talked about it in the past. I am partial to adopting or rescuing a dog as I agree moni stout that seems like most adopted animals make the best pets. I've adopted all the cats I've ever had. Oh, that's another thing! I need a dog that is good with my outdoor cat that I have. She's my princess so I don't want her to feel threatened at all.

I have a blue lacey--Texas herding dog. He is a rescue from petfinder.com and is just wonderful. I love this breed. When we first got Hal there was not much information about laceys (or lacy) and now when you google the breed lots of sites come up. They are a medium size dog weighting about 35 lbs.. They are very easy to train, like the outdoors but make excellent house pets. They are great with children and Hal loves our cats. He kind of looks like a smaller weimaraner. Hal is a lovely blue gray color. Just a suggestion. Can you tell I love my dog?!

Great suggestion, Monica!

I should have thought about that, too, as we have had some dogs that were mixed breeds as well and they have always been great family pets! There are just so many options these days between shelters, rescues, etc.

Just be sure to take your time and do lots and lots of research before making your decision! :) Can't wait to hear what you decide and see pictures!

I recommend finding a nice dog at a shelter that needs a home. I have found that most mutts end up being some of the best pets. There are so many doggies that have just been discarded and need a home. While I am partial to mutts, the shelters frequently also have dogs of specific breeds. It is worth checking out. The shelters will normally tell you about their personality and will often let you spend time with the dog before making a permanent decision.

Best wishes on your search for a new family member!

Monica

I would just like to add that I think it is important that your husband participate in choosing the dog. I don't know if I misread your post but I thought you said that he didn't know you would be getting him a dog. Please include him in the search and choice. I feel that is very important. People have different feelings and connections with different dogs. Choose together.

I agree with the having DH help in selecting the dog. Animals as surprises are rarely a good idea.

Like Carola, I have an Australian Shepherd - I have the full sized version, not a mini. He's about 55 pounds and can run for miles. He's very energetic, but also settle well (which is a Jimmy trait, not necessarily an Aussie trait - some just bounce off of walls, others have a strong desire to be couch potatoes). If you work with a rescue group, they will match the dog to your household.

One thing about Pit Bulls - I love the dogs and they are some of the sweetest dogs I have ever met, but they, like Rotties, are not the best dogs for a first time dog owner, especially if you get one as a puppy. They are not usually aggressive to humans, but they can be aggressive to dogs (they were bred to be fighting dogs after all). You have to be willing to do a lot of work socializing them to other dogs.

I second the idea of a mutt. Keep in mind that big black dogs are the hardest to adopt out, so if you find a sweet, big black lab or lab mix - that might a good companion for you. Labs are great family dogs and love everyone. Most dogs are protective to a degree. But a big dog is a deterrent on it's own.

I agree with the having DH help in selecting the dog. Animals as surprises are rarely a good idea.

Like Carola, I have an Australian Shepherd - I have the full sized version, not a mini. He's about 55 pounds and can run for miles. He's very energetic, but also settle well (which is a Jimmy trait, not necessarily an Aussie trait - some just bounce off of walls, others have a strong desire to be couch potatoes). If you work with a rescue group, they will match the dog to your household.

One thing about Pit Bulls - I love the dogs and they are some of the sweetest dogs I have ever met, but they, like Rotties, are not the best dogs for a first time dog owner, especially if you get one as a puppy. They are not usually aggressive to humans, but they can be aggressive to dogs (they were bred to be fighting dogs after all). You have to be willing to do a lot of work socializing them to other dogs.

I second the idea of a mutt. Keep in mind that big black dogs are the hardest to adopt out, so if you find a sweet, big black lab or lab mix - that might a good companion for you. Labs are great family dogs and love everyone. Most dogs are protective to a degree. But a big dog is a deterrent on it's own.

I was going to say the same thing about Pittbulls, Rotties and other powerful breeds. They are not dogs for a novice dog owner. I think they are one of the most loyal breeds that you can find but they do need a lot of discipline and a firm hand (by that I don't mean beat them or punish them excessively), and mostly consistency.

Most people don't know much about dog psychology and problems arise when people think dogs have human emotions and treat them accordingly. With many dogs you can get away with it without too many problems, not so with most pitbulls and rotties. With pitbulls you have to establish your role as the packleader and it's not always easy, pitbull or not. Once they think they are the boss of the house you have a ticking time bomb on your hand.

Pitbulls are not so much people aggressive as they are other animal aggressive. Most pitbulls even if socialized have a very low tolerance for other dogs. As someone who has witnessed two pitbull attacks on one of my dogs, I can tell you it is the most guttwrenching thing I have ever seen and those two pits were owned by people who had no idea how to properly train and control their dogs. Not because they were mean people but just because they didn't know, they thought their dog wanted to "play".

My dog survived the attacks because I was prepared and maced the pitbulls. But it has turned my formerly gentle, social and playful puppy into a nervous wreck who goes ballistic every time he sees another dog. Do I blame the pitbulls? No! I blame their owners!

I think people have best of intentions and they mean no harm. I just went to a pet supply store on Friday and there was a pitbull puppy and a Labrador, so they were sniffing and doing their thing when all of a sudden the pitbull jumped on the Lab and nipped his ear. Instead of correcting the pit, both dog owners were just standing there and ooohing and aaaahing "awwwww, look, how cute" "They are playing". Ummmh, no, it's not cute! It's leading the dog on the wrong path. Eventually the Lab got fed up of the pitbull puppy's behavior and rightfully growled at him, he was the one who got yelled at by both, his owner and the other dog's owner.

I have had dogs for the past 12 years, at one point I had 11 dogs in my house, I train dogs, and I still don't think I have it in me to properly handle a Pitbull, Rottie, Doberman, etc.

I am sorry for preaching and if I offendended any Pitbull lovers but this is one of my pet peeves! Pitbulls are great dogs but they are not for everyone.

Last edited:
We have a 2 yr. old Boxer and he loves to run! I am training for a 1/2 marathon now and I take him for about an 1/14 hrs. on the canal bank. Boxers are playful clowns and mine loves the water, so I choose the canal so her can run/swim to stay cool in this Central Ca. heat. Between me and my DH Cassius runs about 20 mi a week....this keeps him calm and not destructive with plants or furniture.

Well, I'm not as knowledgeable as some others but I know the mix that we just got has been awesome for DH's running training. She's part pitbull which is great, part lab which is great, and part greyhound, and let me tell you, DH has shaved minutes of his 5K. I wish I could get another pitbull/greyound I would! (I know nothing re: water though...)

If you want to surprise your husband, I would suggest buying a nice big crate, dog bed, dog bowl, toys, etc to give as a present on his birthday. Then set out to choose a dog together after his birthday. That way you can both be involved in the selection process but you still get to have a surprise/present aspect too. I would recommend a mix breed, young adult dog that is medium sized (if you want to run a lot with it) and has a personality that you two are both comfortable with.

There are some breeds that I wouldn't recommend for a new dog owner or casual dog owner (by that I mean someone who loves their dog but doesn't want to build their lives around it). Many pits fall into this category as they tend to require a firm leader; however like any breed some individuals can be softer and take correction more easily. If you want to go that route, contact a reputable rescue and ask them to help you choose a dog that would be compatible with your situation.

I would recommend looking at lab, shepherd or aussie crosses in your local rescues and shelters. I love a good border collie myself but they aren't generally entry level dogs either :D. Of my three, only one would do fine in any home - the other two require a certain level of management. Of course, if you are into bird dogs many breeds including a Brittany spaniel or Weimaraner would make a good running buddy but in my opinion the effort required to train them isn't really worth it to me but then I'm not a bird dog person.

Good luck in your search!
Lisa

If you want to surprise your husband, I would suggest buying a nice big crate, dog bed, dog bowl, toys, etc to give as a present on his birthday. Then set out to choose a dog together after his birthday. That way you can both be involved in the selection process but you still get to have a surprise/present aspect too. I would recommend a mix breed, young adult dog that is medium sized (if you want to run a lot with it) and has a personality that you two are both comfortable with.

This is a fantastic idea! You never know how a dog is going to respond to any given person.

And I agree with some of the other posts regarding running with large dogs. I had three Great Danes (all are in puppy heaven now) and all had joint issues towards the end. I can't imagine ever running with them, even when they were young.

Great suggestion, Monica!

I should have thought about that, too, as we have had some dogs that were mixed breeds as well and they have always been great family pets! There are just so many options these days between shelters, rescues, etc.

Just be sure to take your time and do lots and lots of research before making your decision! :) Can't wait to hear what you decide and see pictures!

Yeah, that's why I'm starting my research now. My husband's birthday is in October and I'm hoping to know by the first of October what my options are and what I should be looking for. It's a big responsiblity and I want to make the best choice possible. Keep the suggestiongs come. I need all the information I can get my hands on ...........and thank you!!

There are some breeds that I wouldn't recommend for a new dog owner or casual dog owner (by that I mean someone who loves their dog but doesn't want to build their lives around it). Many pits fall into this category as they tend to require a firm leader; however like any breed some individuals can be softer and take correction more easily. If you want to go that route, contact a reputable rescue and ask them to help you choose a dog that would be compatible with your situation.

I would recommend looking at lab, shepherd or aussie crosses in your local rescues and shelters. I love a good border collie myself but they aren't generally entry level dogs either :D. Of my three, only one would do fine in any home - the other two require a certain level of management. Of course, if you are into bird dogs many breeds including a Brittany spaniel or Weimaraner would make a good running buddy but in my opinion the effort required to train them isn't really worth it to me but then I'm not a bird dog person.

Good luck in your search!
Lisa

I just read this one and wow...this is really a great idea! As much as I'd love to just surprise him with a dog, I know you guys are right when you say that he should really have the final say. Still want to know more, but at least now I know I'm headed in the right directions with all my Catheite helpers!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.