Best Running Dog Breed?

Lots of great replies here! :) I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, as well. I have never had a better running partner than my Doberman/pit bull mix. We have three kids that she is absolutely fabulous with (she even lets our daughter dress her up, the poor thing! :p), and she has been very easy to train. We adopted her from a shelter, and before we brought her home we did a lot of "shopping" around (visited several different shelters, the one we found her at we had visited 3 times). We didn't adopt her until we brought the kids in and DH saw her interacting with them. She let our then 2 year old lead her on the leash and she was very docile and submissive with him. We only let the kids come in to see her because she had extremely high scores from the shelter's temperament testing - make sure to ask about that! :) I really encourage, like others have suggested, taking your time and doing a lot of looking around and researching.

Good luck! :)

Melissa

Border Collie/Pit Bull

Just got in from running with my pit bull/border collie. She was a rescue dog--someone found her on the side of the road at about 3 months with a broken hip and took her to the vet. Because she was so young the vet took out a portion of the hip and scar tissue formed a new joint. After her recovery, he said running would be great for her. You'd never even know she had hip surgery! 2 years later, she is running strong and a great and loyal partner. Never trips me up and I really enjoy running with her!

My dog is an ASPCA special....a lab/besenji mix and loooooves to run. For anyone considering a pitbull or rottweiler I do highly recommend checking with your insurance company to make sure they will cover you. Fair or not, some companies will not cover homeowners/renters with these dogs due to perceived liability issues.

I have had many dogs over my life from lab/shepard mix to cocker spaniels, german shepard, Chow/Husky mix but my favorite of all are Golden Retrievers I had three...2 I bought and one I rescued. They are just all lovable, great companions, love to run, love the water!!!

The 2 I have know are the best family dogs and love to be outside running and swimming.

That my vote! But whatever you decide.....you need to post those adorable pictures.

Therese

I just read this one and wow...this is really a great idea! As much as I'd love to just surprise him with a dog, I know you guys are right when you say that he should really have the final say. Still want to know more, but at least now I know I'm headed in the right directions with all my Catheite helpers!!

And any reputable breeder would not actually sell you a dog without first meeting your husband as well. All the breeders I spoke with when we were looking for our dog insisted on meeting EVERYONE in the family before they'd consider placing one of their puppies with us. It was as much as interview of us as a family as it was an interview of them as a breeder - which is a good thing.

In fact, our breeder turned down one woman who was in exactly your situation - she wanted to buy a puppy for her husband as a surprise b'day present. The breeder said no way.

FWIW, we have an English Springer Spaniel - they are a medium sized dog, very smart and easy to train, love to run and swim, and are a GREAT family dog (they simply love people). I had one growing up and am thrilled to have another for my kids to enjoy as well.

Thanks Everyone!

Well, here's an update on my husband's birthday dog surprise!!

I leave for Russia next Monday, so I wanted to get him the dog stuff before then so he can pick the dog out before I leave or at least start researching so he has something to do while I"m gone for two weeks. He was so so so so so so excited! He was like a little kid last night eagerly going through petfinder.com and looking at all the dogs up for adoption in our area. Then he saw, "Deuce"....a mastiff/st. bernard mix that is a big big beautiful baby and he was hooked. We go tomorrow to look at Deuce and see if my husband and him hit it off. Thanks for all your help. My husbands been looking at Great Danes and Mastiffs...any idea on how they do on running. I have heard that bigger dogs don't run quite as well. Any thoughts?

By the way, I really appreciate all your great advice and suggestions. You guys are rad!!!!!

I don't think these dogs are good running companions. They also are prone to hip problems and please remember they have relatively short life spans compared to many other breeds. If you are looking for a dog to be a running companion, I would not suggest either of these breeds. Good luck on your search! Please remember to choose a dog that fits your life style and not because you think he or she is "cute". You want this to be a positive experience for both you and the dog..

I was going to say the same thing about Pittbulls, Rotties and other powerful breeds. They are not dogs for a novice dog owner. I think they are one of the most loyal breeds that you can find but they do need a lot of discipline and a firm hand (by that I don't mean beat them or punish them excessively), and mostly consistency.

Most people don't know much about dog psychology and problems arise when people think dogs have human emotions and treat them accordingly. With many dogs you can get away with it without too many problems, not so with most pitbulls and rotties. With pitbulls you have to establish your role as the packleader and it's not always easy, pitbull or not. Once they think they are the boss of the house you have a ticking time bomb on your hand.

Pitbulls are not so much people aggressive as they are other animal aggressive. Most pitbulls even if socialized have a very low tolerance for other dogs. As someone who has witnessed two pitbull attacks on one of my dogs, I can tell you it is the most guttwrenching thing I have ever seen and those two pits were owned by people who had no idea how to properly train and control their dogs. Not because they were mean people but just because they didn't know, they thought their dog wanted to "play".

My dog survived the attacks because I was prepared and maced the pitbulls. But it has turned my formerly gentle, social and playful puppy into a nervous wreck who goes ballistic every time he sees another dog. Do I blame the pitbulls? No! I blame their owners!

I think people have best of intentions and they mean no harm. I just went to a pet supply store on Friday and there was a pitbull puppy and a Labrador, so they were sniffing and doing their thing when all of a sudden the pitbull jumped on the Lab and nipped his ear. Instead of correcting the pit, both dog owners were just standing there and ooohing and aaaahing "awwwww, look, how cute" "They are playing". Ummmh, no, it's not cute! It's leading the dog on the wrong path. Eventually the Lab got fed up of the pitbull puppy's behavior and rightfully growled at him, he was the one who got yelled at by both, his owner and the other dog's owner.

I have had dogs for the past 12 years, at one point I had 11 dogs in my house, I train dogs, and I still don't think I have it in me to properly handle a Pitbull, Rottie, Doberman, etc.

I am sorry for preaching and if I offendended any Pitbull lovers but this is one of my pet peeves! Pitbulls are great dogs but they are not for everyone.

Hi Carola!

I am a pit bull lover and owner of 2, but I completely agree with you. Pit bulls generally require a more dog-savvy owner. This is especially true given their already bad rap - if you own a pit bull you need to be prepared for them! They are extremely loyal, affectionate, kid-friendly dogs when they are brought up correctly, but they definitely do have their dog aggression issues. We spent a lot of time in "doggy school" with our dogs, but they can still have their aggression issues. The younger one is very well socialized, but I never give her a chance to show me her "tough-girl" side with other dogs. You have to proactive, not reactive.

I must have misread the original post the first time I posted - sorry! Pit bulls may not be your breed if this is your first dog.

My dog is an ASPCA special....a lab/besenji mix and loooooves to run. For anyone considering a pitbull or rottweiler I do highly recommend checking with your insurance company to make sure they will cover you. Fair or not, some companies will not cover homeowners/renters with these dogs due to perceived liability issues.

When we bought our house, we already owned one of our pits. We really had to do some shopping to find an insurance company!

Also, mastiffs and great danes are probably not going to be the best running partners. They have a lot of hip/joint issues and not a very long lifespan. My aunt owns a great dane, and he's an awesome dog but super lazy! :p

I would just like to add that I think it is important that your husband participate in choosing the dog. I don't know if I misread your post but I thought you said that he didn't know you would be getting him a dog. Please include him in the search and choice. I feel that is very important. People have different feelings and connections with different dogs. Choose together.

Phyllis is dead on with that theory. Your DH needs to be a part of the process. It is very important that the two make a good match, and going by breed alone is not necessarily accurate.
I am also a huge proponent of rescue organizations. We got our purebred chocolate lab as a rescue puppy just about a year ago now, and he is a joy in our lives.
Again, I cannot emphasize the personality match enough, it is going to be key for you all to be a succesful "pack".

Good News!

First off, thank you all for your help! You all had such great suggestions! We brought home the newest member of our family yesterday. His name is Deuce and he is a two year old, half Mastiff/ half St. Bernard and he is awesome!!! We rescued him from an animal shelter in eldon, Mo. He has been on the streets his whole life, the shelter owner told us. He's never had a family. When we walked in the shelter, he was the only dog that didn't bark at us. He just wagged his tail and gently headbutted the cage for us to pet his head. He is a big gentle giant! His head is as big as his heart. He leans on you when he wants to be petted which is all the time. He is such a lover boy. My husband knew he was the one as soon as he saw his picture on petfinder.com. Then when they came face to face, Deuce just leaned into him and nuzzled his leg. We had a 3 hour ride home from the shelter that we were worried about him handling, but he did great...besides letting out a few good farts on the way. He just panted and licked my husbands face from time to time, as if to say, "Thanks, buddy. Now where are we off to?" We took him into Petco with us to pick up some more stuff and every single person in the store petted him and said, "His head is huge! What kindof dog is he?"
He is the most non-aggresive and laid back dog I've ever met, and yet he loves walks and runs and has loads of energy. He is great with Ziggy, my big fat cat and he doesn't pester her and she just looks at him in amazement at his size! My husband and I are in love with a guy named Deuce. As soon as I load my pics, I'll post some. In the meantime, I'm going to go run and play with our big "Juicy-deucey-bear"...that's what I call him.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.