benefit and necessity of stability ball?

pat1949

My workout room is so full now I am just not sure where I would put a stabliity ball. And I am new to Cathe.

Could someone comment of the benefit of using a stability ball?

Also, is it possible to workout without one for any of the videos that say the stability ball is equipment needed?

Thank you.

Patricia

The benefits are the difference that I, personally have seen in core strength from doing pikes and such (Pyramid Upper Body, for instance) that I can't imagine getting any other way than the ball routines. Not only attacks abs, but the whole core is worked and the results are terrific. Just my opinion. You could put it in another room or closet, maybe? Or, if it's not so much trouble --deflate and re-inflate each time?

I feel that a stability ball is an essential piece of exercise equipment. In addition to workouts that show exercises on the ball, it can be used to do a lot of exercises that are functional and call on stabilizing muscles and your core.

I often use my ball as an exercise bench. You can change up a regular bicep curl or overhead press by sitting on the ball to do it, which engages the core more and even recruits more stabilizing muscles in the shoulder area(though you may have to reduce the amount of weight you are lifting). And crunches on the ball are one of the most effective ab exercises because they allow you a fuller range of motion while being supported, and engage the obilques for stability even when you aren't doing direct oblique work.

Storage ideas: You could deflate and reinflate with each use, but I personally would find that a pain, and would wonder how it might adversely affect the strength of the material. If you decide to do it, get an electric pump, otherwise you can spend a half-hour reinflating!

How about getting a sturdy anti-burst (or slow deflate) ball and also using it as a chair? Though it's recommended by some sites that sell balls that you use a bigger ball as a chair than you use for workouts (I use a 55 cm ball, but for a chair, they recommend a 65 cm for my height), you could put the ball in a step riser to raise it up a bit and keep it from rolling away (though that does take some of the benefit away from using it as a chair). I've also seen frames for ball chairs (at www.gaiam.com )that would raise it up.

Personally for me, I have been working out since 1994 and since I have started using the stability ball this January I have more definition than ever and alot more core strength. I wouldn't give up my ball for anything. It makes workouts fun and I now love doing ab workouts. Overall my workouts feel more rounded as if I am getting a total workout. I always did cardio and weights but this has added just a little more to my body which I love.

You won't regret making the space for this item.

Great feedback.

We have a storage room right next to the workout room that your idea of putting the ball somewhere else could work.

Thank you!

You sure do make it sound like a MUST HAVE!

I wouldn't want to take the time to de and re-inflate. I'm going to look around the storage room just next to the workout room to see if I can fit it in there.

Thanks for the terrific comments!

I'll make this space problem work.

Thanks so much for your positive, personal experience with the ball.

>The benefits are the difference that I, personally have seen
>in core strength from doing pikes and such (Pyramid Upper
>Body, for instance) that I can't imagine getting any other
>way than the ball routines. Not only attacks abs, but the
>whole core is worked and the results are terrific. Just my
>opinion. You could put it in another room or closet, maybe?
>Or, if it's not so much trouble --deflate and re-inflate each
>time?

For a storage idea, how about one of those nets you store stuffed animals from that hang from the ceiling? Just throw the ball up in the net! I may have to get one now, just for the fun of throwing the ball around.
Diane

Patricia,
I just read over at VideoFitness that someone stores her stability ball in the guest bathtub!

When I first got my stability ball, I felt using it was "undignified" (think pikes-on-the-ball) despite the fact that I only exercise when I'm totally alone. How crazy is that!?! I swapped it on VF for a new video.

Then Cathe came out with new workouts, so I decided to give it another shot and got another one. Now, I wouldn't be without it!

I use my ball for a weight bench most of the time, because it offers the advantage of helping to increase core strength. But I also use it simply because it's easier to grab it than to adjust all those step risers to the height of a weight bench.

Also, my family members like to sit on it when they visit me in my weight room/office.

It took me a while to build up those stabilizing muscles that made using the ball seem undignified, but now . . . well, you definitely need a stability ball!

Shari

Patricia
I waited til about 1 month agao to buy my ball after forveer thinking I LOVE IT! the way it owrks the abs especially the core pikes and the balanciong leg raises during core work I really feel it and puts no pressure on the neck My exercise room is my sons bedroom while he is back from colllege it si crowded but everyone seems to enjoy playing w/the ball my youngest son uses it as a foot stool when he is in that roomk watching TV and my Middle son and his girlfriends find it fun to play with or just sit on My room is really crowed but I would not give up the ball
I can actually do pikes now that si true core work the back the abs all come in to play
Lisa
Oh and the stretches you can do on it are wonderful PUB when Cathe and crew lay on it and let arms and legs kinda hand that is wonderful for the spine And doing and assisted bridge or back bend feesl great

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.