Belly Button Ring

Timber99

Cathlete
Anyone vote for or against this? Helpful advice or opinions?

I have wanted one forever and have never done it. I guess I know that it can be painful and never had the guts. But every so often I get the urge again...and that is now :eek:) I figure that if I am going to do it, I might as well do it whie I am still young(er)or get over it!

All opinions/info/advice appreciated!

I'm interested in feedback too!!! I want one. I have for years. Have recently lost 18 lbs, with 10 (maybe) more to go. May be brave enough to go at the end of the month (with one of my sisters that has lost 27 lbs) to get one! Are you going to do it soon? Mindi

I got my belly button pierced when I was 16. It didn't hurt very much but was a little creepy to watch. Although I took good care of it, it became infected after 9 months, so I took it out. I have a teeny little scar there, but it's not noticeable. I never dress in such a way that my belly button would actually be showing, so it felt kind of pointless at the time, and I got tired of it quickly. If you like the way it looks, go for it! You can always take it out.

Gina

At 36, i feel I'm a little old to wear "belly shirts", but i want one anyway. Just one of those things for me. Heck, the only time I'll see it is when I'm working out, but I still want one. Mindi

Hi,

I had mine pierced at 17 years old. The only time I needed to take out the earring was when I was pregnant with my children. I have never had a problem with my piercing at all and I am 31 now. It didn't hurt too bad getting it done either. I love having it! I love jewelry and it's just another part of my body that I like to shop for.

Aila

Some people never have trouble wearing those. But I had a very bad experience with them, I got my belly button and the upper part of my ear pierced and I ended up with the nastiest infection! it took two antibiotic shots just to tame it down and the on with oral antibiotics, took them out and the puss and blood was awefull!! I would love to do it again but I don't think I can go through that again. Like I said that was just me. some people can do that and be just fine, that was just my experience.

Hey... I got mine a year and 1/2 ago and I'm in my 40s. I love it! It hurt at first but I love it. VERY cool my teenage kids got me a new belly button ring for my bday this year.

I had wanted it for ages.. and for me its very motivating.. even if i am a little old for it... ;)

I think belly button rings are very sexy. I have had mine periced a couple of times but it kept getting infected.I had it done when I was 16 and my mom found out.I thought they were going to kill me.I grew up in a very religous home.I remember the day she found out.I was at my friends house and she was sick with cancer so she had all kinds of cleansing materials around.We cleaned it up the best we could in 24 hours but she still found out.What was I thinking...I actually thought it could heal enough in that amount of time to get myself out of trouble:eek:
I have never had it done with the proper needle so that makes alot of difference.I wanted to get it done again but DH said whats the point? It never heals.Then when I went for my massage the other day I noticed all of the body jewlery they were selling and I got it in my head again.
The only thing that keeps me from getting body peircings is my 8 yr old.If she saw a ring in my belly button she would tell the world and then she would want one herself.
And I am still afraid that my parents would find out!:7
Lori

I got mine pireced at 30. It lasted almost three years. I swear, if it's bazaar, it will happen to me - type of thing. But it did not hurt getting pierced, but little by little, the ring worked it's way out! No kidding. I never tore the area. One night on the phone I heard this bouncing ching ching sound.... my ring fell out! Whole. I'm afraid to get it done again. My belly button my look like a cauliflower. Hahaha
Susan C.M.

I say, go for it! My daughter has had her belly button pierced for a little over 2 years. She has never had any problems with it as she does everything she was told to do (not by me, of course hehehe). She has several other piercings as well. The only one she ever had problems with was her eyebrow. That one fell out, whole. Some people's bodies just reject the foreign object. I, may, in the future have my belly button pierced, if I can ever get my abs in good shape!

Come back and let us know when you do it!!! ;-)

If you want to do it, go for it! I've had mine done for about 6 years now, and it's survived two pregnancies, with no problem. I am allegic to the stainless/surgical steel and had problems with some ear piercings done with that metal, so my piercer suggested using niobium (that's the pretty colored jewlery, in purple, green, blue, etc.) and I've never had a problem with it.

Your abs will be sore for a few days after, don't plan on doing any ab work or twisting around too quickly.

If you want to do it, go for it!

My daughter (19) had it done at 16. It looks great, always has. She took care of it and it has been fine. I would do it too, but am too old. My belly is my genetically lucky area, so I would love to show off my Cathe-muscles, but at 47, I really think I will skip the belly ring.

JUST DO IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!}( I got mine done in Sept.I was 34.It did bleed at first.But,after i put serious pressure on it.It stopped.I cleaned it three times a day.I still have alittle stuff left that i will use up.I haven't had a problem.I do love it.But,i'll love it alot more when my fat belly roll goes down.

Yeah, just do it. I had mines for 5 years now. And, I'm 47 still sexy and loving it, go for it!! Just my .02

Teddygirl~~

I just might...

....if I can get up the GUTS! I am really a chicken, not only for the piercing but the after care (b/c you hear so many horror stories about infections)

Thank you all for your opinions!! I decided that if I ever do it, it will be now and not later so I guess I have to decide!

RE: I just might...

My sister made the appt. for us to get our belly buttons pierced! I'm 36 and she's 40. We're trying to talk my twin sister into doing it too, but she's a chicken. I have a few questions for all of you that have had it done. I've read several places on the internet where people say it didn't hurt much, maybe a sting, and it was over before they knew it. I know pain tolerance is an individual thing, but can you tell me what your experience was? Also, this site I was on last night was talking about the aftercare. It does sound very involved (cleaning 2x a day, more if you exercise, sea salt soaks, etc). It stated not to go into a hot tub or pool. I assume that means until it is healed, which they say can be 6-12 months. I'm getting it done March 26. We go to Florida May 16, and I really had NO plans of avoiding the pool!!! What do you guys think? I really want to "stick to the rules" so I don't get an infection. Mindi

RE: I just might...

Hi Mindi,

I had mine done at age 17 and I am 31 now, so it was probably a little different back then. I didn't have any problems and it survived 2 pregnancies. It was quick and hurt a little. I had to clean it in twice a day with dial antibacterial soap and peroxide. Some places recommend Neosporin, but I didn't do that. I think it took about 4-6 weeks for mine to heal. I remember having to wear my pants low for a week or two until I felt comfortable. I did have it done in the summer and I actually went to the Bahamas after I had it done. I think it was about 3 weeks after I had it done. I didn't go into the ocean but I did go into the pool and I was fine. I have 3 sisters ranging in the ages 17-28 and they all have theirs done too. We all had a good experience and had it done at the same place. We went to a safe sanitary place and have not had any problems. It's fun that my sisters and I all have them. When we don't know what to get each other for birthday's everyone ends up with new belly button rings...lol

Good Luck!!
Aila:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.