Belize info anyone?

bestoutwest

Cathlete
We are going to Belize in June with my brother and his wife. I'm very excited!! I have a couple guide books from Amazon that I have been reading. Anyone have personal experience of what to do and what to avoid? We will be staying on Abergris Caye.

I'm sure you'll get good info here but I also recommend chatting with a reference librarian at your local library. If they don't know the answers to your questions they know where to find them. Also, if you weren't aware of this link from the U.S. embassy in Belize that provides travel advisories to U.S. citizens:
http://belize.usembassy.gov/public_announcements.html

Stay safe and have a hella good time :D

Hi Edie,

Sorry to say that I haven't been there myself, but you could also check out Lonely Planet's site. http://www.lonelyplanet.com . They have a forum in there called The Thorn Tree that I found to be very helpful for vacations that I took.

HTH.

I went to Belize a few years ago. We stayed at Ramon's on Ambergris Caye. It is a beautiful place and there is a lot to do there in terms of water sports. Snorkeling, sunset cruises, etc. We took a boat tour to some Indian ruins where we hiked and climbed up a temple. That was really neat. We also rented bikes and just biked around the island one day. That was fun as we found this little bar way off the beaten path. The snorkeling and diving there is awesome!

I have to say that it was not one of the better trips I've personally been on though. It was windy there at the time of year we went. I had a lot of trouble with motion sickness on the boat tours we took as well as the little puddle jumper plane we took to get a few places. I spent a lot of the time sick. :-( Also if we got much away from the resort area, the living conditions of the islanders kind of depressed me. But we took that trip probably four years ago and I suspect a lot has changed there since then.

Where are you staying? Hope you enjoy it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.