Be afraid, be very afraid . . .

***QUOTE***What about paper dresses? Anyone have one of those? I did, in around 1973 or so. And a micro-mini skirt that came with matching panties.

Oh, too funny! This really brings back the memories! I had a paper dress in my dress-up trunk, and I actually remember wearing the micro-minis. We called them Sizzler Dresses around here.

Shari

***QUOTE*** But damnit . . . I've gotta draw the line somewhere.

THE SEVENTIES DIED FOR A REASON, PEEEE-PUL!

MWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya, A-Jock!!! I saw a girl at the mall the other day in a knitted poncho and jeans. I saw another kid in a knitted ski cap and a girl with a muffler looped around her neck. It was 105 degrees!!! I felt stifled in a tank top and shorts!

There has to be SOME limit to what people will do in the name of fashion. And now I see that leg warmers are making a comeback? Lord, take me now! What's next?!? Big hair? Next thing you know, we'll women will be looking like Cousin It again, with their 3-foot, starch-stiff bangs standing straight up and flapping in the breeze.

Shari

No ponchos for this babe!

I remember making one as Brownie or a Girl Scout. Then, I wore it to school and church! That was then and this is now.... life goes on, and as Pumba says.. "We have to learn to put our past behind us!" ... Not just in the jungle either

OK now I will have the "Lion Sleeps Tonight" stuck in my head all day. OK Cathe ~ there's a new song to workout to...

Ponchos - Muy Yucko!!!

I remember when I was a teenager back in the '70's. Other teens in my town (Lindsay, Canada) wore these hideous Mexican or Mexican-inspired ponchos (brown scratchy wool with deers and buffalo, and other crap on them) as badges for anti-Vietnam war, "all we are saying is give peace a chance", let's start a commune where we'll grow our own vegetables (my older sister was in one) and get back to nature (while throwing their cigarette butts in the lake) plus other political statements. If one more person in a poncho made the peace sign out the window of a yellow school bus, I thought I'd go mad!

And it wasn't like Lindsay kids were being drafted. No, it was just cool and hip to look, well, like a hippie!

Oh, how I yearned to be a teen in the mid-'60's, dancin' the frug and the pony, wearing a yellow-fringe bikini like the girl in the Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello "Beach Blanket Bingo" movies!!! Believe it or not, that yellow-fringe bikini made volcanoes erupt and knocked cute guys off their feet -- I kid you not! People really seemed to have fun back then. But no, I was stuck in the oh-so-serious 70's, darn it! I was really relieved with Disco came into style with all its glitter and vanity where girls never went anywhere without a fully-loaded cosmetic bag and blow-dryers. At least fun was back and hair was being washed again!

Oh dear, I've gone off on a tangent! Sorry, but I really, really, REALLY loathed the "poncho era".

Oh dear, what if they bring back, (insert scream of terror), HOT PANTS?!!!!

Patricia

Oh, Ajock I'm with you too! Who on God's earth decided to bring these styles back. I'm guessing that those who enjoy the dreaded poncho, probably are too young to remember the 70's fashions. I wore them in grade and middle school and don't have any desire to return to this look. Those who missed out, ENJOY!:eek:

Hi Annette, where in NY are you located? I'm in the south western corner of the state.

I think the poncho things are funny.......it's been like forever since I've actually worn one!!:D

Hi, SullyGirl! Actually, I'm a Minnesota Not-So-Nicelette, rather than a New Yawkah.

I'm still reeling over the resurrection of ponchos. I'm in mortal fear of what's going to come next. Decoupage, anyone?

A-Jock

(sigh!) If only I'd saved my clothes from about 7th grade on through high school ... I'd be SO "in fashion" right now. What's a perimenopausal woman to do???? LOL!! (YES! I'm being sarcastic!!)

I couldn't agree with you more, A-Jock!! Maybe when I'm 60 big hair and spandex pants with tunics over them will come back??? Or, dressing like Madonna from her "Like A Virgin" days?? Can you see it now? Scary ...

Carol
:)

I've always liked hippie-ish styles and so I'm in the "ponchos are cute" camp and may just even buy me one.:) Rocky was wearing a beautiful hand-knit one the other day. His on-again girlfriend, Fiona, wore a matching one. (He had knitted both of them and is pretty whipped, I must say, but don't get me started...)

On the other hand, I've always HATED anything to do with disco and, even though I'm from NJ, have always LOATHED big mall hair, leg warmers and spandex. I hope they just skip the 80's and head straight into the 90's.

JUST got home from the Hilary Duff concert....ponchos were EVERYWHERE!!!!!! There were a lot of screaming 9-14 year-old girls there too, but ponchos galore!

A-Jock - this is just a hoot that you posted this! The admin asst to our CEO has one on today and I was in total disbelief (like you!). It actually looks very cute on her and she said it's her teen age daughters. By afternoon she said this was the stupidest piece of clothing ever invented and she was hot and had thrown it on the floor! Then I get on here and read this post! LOL!!! :) :)

Jo

Dammit!!!

I knew I should have held onto those leg warmers ("Let's get physical, physical, I wanna get physical....") and my gloria vanderbilts with the velour top, banana comb and Lipsmackers gloss....Hey, does anyone remember the short lived knicker craze?!!! Oh yeah, and the rainbow striped suspenders that I had to have (like Mork from "Mork and Mindy") Tooooo funny!

-Tracey

I was at Target about two weeks ago and I saw this THING... it was a shirt. But it was about 3 shirts artfully ripped and torn and then sewn together again. I think it was a recreation of the clothes for the "Love is a Battlefield" video by Pat Benetar. Oy!!

And I will seriously ridicule anyone wearing leg warmers with high heels. That's just wrong.

Hello, Sooooooooooooosan (if that is your real name) . . .

Rocky needs serious help. He was the one who bonded Fiona out from jail after she was charged with indecent conduct for giving an octogenerian squirrel a tail job in public here at the Government Center. Fiona's now got a bench warrant for skipping her pretrial. She's got Rocky under some weird sexual spell, which I respect, but there's treatment for him.

Consistency, thou art a jewel - I hate ponchos but I love leg warmers as an everyday fashion accessory. Loved it when they were worn with heels in the wintertime. Am with ya on the big mall hair - I cherish being bald.

A-Jock

This thread is too funny. I'm pleased to say that the only poncho I own is made of army green plastic and sits crumpled up in my golf bag. Strictly utilitarian.

The picture of the one that Dani showed was kinda cute, but I couldn't imagine wearing one while trying to do something like eating spaghetti. All I envision is sauce covered fringe. :)

Oh man, the ponchos are one thing, but LEGWARMERS? With HIGH HEELS? Lord help us all. Oh well, I'm used to being unfashionable anyway.:p

Ha Ha Ha.

This is so funny.

I am actually trying to get one for my 8-year-old daughter. I saw it from Limited 2 (kids version of Limited Express) and they are darn pricey. I am looking for somewhere cheaper.
I bet every little girl on the block will own one or two of them by this Winter. }(

Try the Children's Place. I got one for my toddler for $16.50 but I think they have bigger girls' sizes too.

Dana S.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.