Battling depression and maintaining healthy lifestyle

deni_rhea

I don't post on here often, but I don't feel that I can go to anyone else on this matter. I am just wondering if anyone else battles with depression. And has a hard time keeping it all together. I KNOW that exercise is the key to keeping a happy clear mind and I KNOW that eating healthy will help keep me in balance....but when I feel so sad...I just can't seem to muster the energy. I know this sounds pathetic and I know that you will want to say...'just get your butt up and do it!... I try...it just doesn't seem to happen. I just wondered if anyone else deals with these types of issues and how they manage to 'snap' out of it. Any advice, comments, whatever...would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Deni

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 11:33AM (Est)[/font][p]Hello Deni,

I have not battled major depression, but I have been at the point where I just can't muster up the energy to take life by the horns.

I will be made redundant from my job today and I know I should frantically job hunting, but I am disillusioned by the present market situation: every Tom, D!*k, Harry and his brother is going for the same job as you and they all have more qualifications than you. How do you compete with that? How do you even try? I am doomed before I've even begun. But I have a mortgage so I have to keep working. I don't how or whether I will find a job, but I have to keep on looking. I'd rather die trying than give up! Just like you.

Yen

Oooooops. Used a word that wasn't allowed.

Hi Deni - I've battled depression all my life and what I've learned is that the 'pull up your socks' or 'snap out of it' attitude has never worked for me. Depression is an illness and can rob you off the motivation that you need to do the things that you enjoy. I think you are being hard on yourself and I understand that because I get overwhelmed with feelings of being a lazy and ungrateful slob when the blues strike. I know that medication helps a lot of people, so you might want to explore that option. There are a lot of new drugs out there. That approach does not work for me though. I use a variety of ways to keep my depression at bay and exercise is one of them. I also find that if I am getting to the point where my life is coming to a stand still, talking to someone who is neutral and understands the illness is very helpful. Its the little push I need to get me going again. I don't think any one approach works for all - you have to find what works for you. But the important thing is to try and not do too much on your own. There is so much help out there. Motivating yourself to find that help can be hard, but it is worth it. Hope that helps and take care. I'm sending lots of positive and healthy vibes your way.

It is always better to hear from someone who have experience what you are going thru.

I hope you can overcome the trials and tribulations that is preventing you from living a good life.

Please keep us up to date of your progress. Remember, we are hear to listen and give advice (even if it's total nonsense like mine - I feel rather embarassed going on about my job situation now that I have read prfitness' post).

Yen

I don't suffer from depression as such but I have learned that the last thing you should ever tell someone is to pull themselves together you can't that's the whole point.

My brother is battling with it and what has helped him is counselling (no he wasn't abused, had no major life issues) but talking out helped his counsellor drew attention to a chemical defiency my brother has which is a major factor in his depression.

I am not saying this is what your problem but as prfitness says talking to someone qualifed and neutral can help you focus on your problem and the causes rather than the issues that come out of it. I am not sure where you live but another factor can be with winter coming, Thanksgiving and Christmas all very stressful times this can add to your depression.

All I can say is take it a morning, lunchtime, evening and nightime at a time try not to add to your depression by focusing on what you cannot do or should be doing as this is just make you spiral down.

((())) a cyber hug for you.

Babs

Deni: I think i know what you're going thru b/c i've battled severe depression for practically all of my adult life (i will be 38 next month).
please email me at [email protected] so we can chat in person; it sounds like we have a lot in common and it is nice to "talk" to someone who is going through what you are.

I too found it sooooooooo difficult to work out, and i've been working out faithfully since i was about 15!! sometimes the motivation just is not there, then you feel guilty, and you get in a vicious cycle. I couldn't even muster the motivation when i KNEW i would feel better after working out (you always do).
please email; hang in there. : )
lynne

Deni,

I was going to post on this very subject yesterday and felt too depressed to do it.

I echo exactly what Lynne said. I always have a feeling there's something wrong, always like a vague feeling in the back of my mind. I, too, have suffered from depression ALL of my adult life. I have been exercising for 20 years.

Right now I don't have a lot to offer except to tell you you are certainly not alone and I totally feel for you. I know exactly what you're going through.

Do you find the holdiay season especially hard? I'm not trying to turn the focus on myself, but I lost my oldest son 91/2 years ago and I find the holdidays always especially hard to deal with.

Please feel free to email me as well. I have a wonderful email friend I "met" right here on this forum.

Sincerely,

Sherry

Hi, Deni! Although I have never had to battle depression as it is clinically defined, and although my knowledge of clinical depression is poor to failing, I do think, from what you've described, that you would benefit from a full physical, a discussion with your family doctor and a check-up with a mental health care professional.

You yourself hit the nail right on the head when you wrote how you try to "just get your butt up and do it!" it just doesn't work. If you are feeling listless, if you've lost pleasure in the things that you used to enjoy, there could be an underlying physical or biochemical cause that warrants treatment in itself, with a good well-rounded exercise program as part - but only a part - of that treatment.

We are living in difficult times: the fallout from September 11th in all its manifestations (economic, cultural, political, social and psychological), the unceasing bad-to-horrific news each and every day, the struggle to stay healthy and active in a culture that is increasingly sedentary and disrespectful of the need to stay active . . . etc. And there could be things going on in your personal life that have emotional consequences that we aren't aware of, indeed that you might not be aware of yourself.

Please know that we are concerned about you. Please consider seeking medical and psychological professional observation and diagnosis, and let us know how you are doing.

Annette Q. Aquajock

Hi Deni:

(long post: personal experience up front, then some words of suggestion follow)

I know exactly what you feel like and what you are going through. I could have written your post myself and in fact, came to the forums today to do just that and seek inspiration.

I feel like total ##### and like I am sinking into a hole and cannot get myself out of it. I, like you, know that I would feel better if I could just slam Powermax in the VCR, but I ask myself in the other half of my brain, what is the point anyway, because I feel so terrible, I don't want anyone to see me, I want to crawl into a hole, I feel like a failure in my life and even though I can usually summon the courage to face another day and keep chipping away at my goals (finish my PhD, actually take my exams, actually write something worth reading, be the best teacher I can be, be a fabulous mother to my children, support my husband in his search for a better job position hat actually satisfies him intellectually and learn to bee a better person generally), right now, I don't know how to implement any of those things.

I have blown off a seminar I was supposed to attend today, I went to bed early last night because I could n't be bothered to live any more of that day, such a shittty day it had been anyway, so my kids nearly missed the school bus today while waiting for their dad to make their lunchboxes because usually their Mum does it, but their Mum is today not acknowledging the existence of the world and so, couldn't give a toss whether they had lunch or not. Well, I could, but I am so sick of being the one who has to do their lunch every day, so, so, so, sick of having this and a multitude of other things get taken for granted every day.

What is the answer? Deni, I don't know. But, you are not alone, you can see from the above and your other fiends' posts here, many of us here feel like this. It comes and goes in its intensity, but it is always residually "there somewhere".

Antidepressants do work: you have to find the right one for you though, and they all take about six weeks to really get into your system and for you to get over the horrible mental fog that comes with the drug in those first weeks or whatever your side effects/symptoms may be. I started Paxil in September but could not last the week because studying and teaching is my life and I couldn't do either things with that mental fog. I felt like a drunkard all the time.

I think it helps to read up on depression, like Andrew Soloman's new book. I think it helps also to realize that it comes in waves of differing intensities. Some weeks seem unbearable, others you feel full of positive energy. Get to know your highs and lows if you can. Chart them on a calender. Are there recognizeable patterns that you can detect? (Mine is made worse by PMS, hence today's rantting post).

In the weeks that are unbearable, treat yourself kindly, wrap yourself in cotton wool, rest as much as possible and do not ask too much of yorself because if you don't do those things because you feel so bad, then you set yourself up for failure and the ensuing feelings of self-loathing or disgust, or disappointment, or however that feeling hits you.

Surround yourself with people who love you and accept you for whom and what you are: this is not the time to be receiving criticism or having to justify the things you do or your beliefs to others.

If a Cathe workout seems like having to reach for the moon, and I know what you mean because that is exactly how I feel this week, and I have not worked out at all this week, so I also feel like a total slob, then don't do it. Maybe you have a fave easy video from your pre-Cathe days that you could do, just to be moving. The best thing is to get outside. You may also suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and the lack of good light really gets to you. I like to walk with some great music (because music is a thing that really lifts my spirits like nothing else) down to the lake and around, and back, and I am outside and there's a whole new world out there, and I'm out of my house-Phd-marrriage-kids-student papers to grade- little-tin-box for an hour or two. So, my heart rate may not have been up there and I didn't gain any muscle strength, but I moved, got out, and did something for both my physical and mental health, and Deni, that's probably all you need right now. Save IMAX for another week.

I blew off work yesterday afternoon and listened to "About a Boy" on tape read by Alan Cumming and I was so happy. I cleaned the house while I did it, so it was not a total waste of the day, but while listening, I was able to enjoy a fabulous story, a fabulous narrator and touch base with my home culture (which is where the story is based) and so the day wasn't a total right off. I laughed my head off during this story!

Deni: what would your equivalent of this "About a Boy" therapy be? Whatever it is: GO FOR IT! And try to ride this wave of depression out. maybe, just maybe, Cathe is not always the answer.

Yes, and email me too if you want to chat: [email protected]. Maybe we ladies should all get together? Start our own self-help email life-line?

A Cyber hug from your forum friend,

Clare

Hi Deni,

I can relate sooooooo much. I have been depressed for the last 6 years. It came on in the first trimester of my first pregnancy, and finally this year, I went to see a Therapist, and was put on Prozac. I still have my down days, and I do know what you mean about 'mustering' up the energy. For me, the root of my depression is my hormones, they freaked me out when pregnant, and especially at TTOTM. I am getting better, and have found that exercise is the key to my PMS, the physical symptons are just so much better, almost pain free, and mentally, I feel MUCH better after a work out even if, previously, I was not in the mood to begin with. I tell myself it is just one measly hour, and what else would I do with that hour - lie on the sofa (couch) and watch TV ? Thinking like that always gets me off my butt. Even though Prozac has helped, I hate the way it makes me feel when exercising, it gives me terrible itchy skin post exercise, which, my doctor has told me, is because Prozac makes you sweat more.
I don't think you can just 'snap' out of depression, it just takes a lot of (self) hard work and time. My Therapist told me you have to find things that boost your esteem, that is why I am finally learning to drive at the moment. And please, Deni, don't ever think it is pathetic, depression, IMO, is a very serious thing.

Sending <<<<<<CYBER-HUGS>>>>>>> to you, hang in there, I know that I am getting better (slowly), but I feel I am a much different person than I was this time last year :)

Anna

I've battled major depression for years so I understand exactly how you feel. I knows it sounds so weird to people who haven't been through this when we say that we don't have the energy to do the things that will help us. I wish it was as simple as "just do it." I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I can't "snap out of it" without medication. Medication allows me to step back from the depression and analytically think it through, i.e. this way of thinking doesn't make any sense. I remember reading once about how people who were depressed had as incorrect a view of reality as people with psychophrenia. Thinking about that helps me to realize that my feelings when I'm depressed are just plain crazy and have no reference to reality. But like I said, I'm not capable of being that rational without medication.

I didn't realize how bizarre my view of the world was until I went into counseling. I think that people with depression are really good at covering up how they really think so nobody knew what I really thought. I started counseling about 5 years ago and my therapist confronted me about what I really thought and tried to make me understand that it was ridiculous. She finally convinced me to go on the medication and then everything came together for me. I still have low points and I'm sure that I'll always have to fight this but I don't think I could do it without the medication.

I highly recommend that you consider counseling. That wasn't done in my family. I always thought it was for people like Woody Allen (self indulgent). It took me getting to rock bottom before I considered counseling and then medication. I wish that I wouldn't have let myself get that low before getting help because there's nothing shameful about needing help. Depression is chemical. It's no different from heart disease or diabetes. Do we expect people with diabetes to just "get over it?" Of course not. Depression is no different.

I don't know if this is much comfort to you but I totally understand what you're going through. I'm so sorry that you have to feel this way. I wouldn't wish depression on Adolph Hitler or Ossama Bin Laden. It can be hell and no one deserves to go through it. But please try to understand that there's a way out of the abyss. I'm sitting here at my computer today, capable of living a normal life, being a success, etc. because I got help so you can do it too if you get the proper help.

Deni,

I have struggled with depression for as long as I can remember (I'm 27). I was only diagnosed a few years ago and put on Wellbutrin (a miracle drug, if you ask me). Last February, I finally remembered the abuse I went through as a child which goes a long way toward explaining my depression as well as a lot of the decisions I've made in my life. There were several years where the tiniest problem would create mental images of suicide as an option. But that's the depression, it's not me. (By the way, everyone in my immediate family has been on antidepressants at one point or another and none of us had told each other that until recently.)

Exercise has been a way for me to get away from my problems for 1-2 hours a day. When I'm working out, I can't think about what's bothering me and I don't have time to cry. (I don't know about you, but I cry at the drop of a hat for no reason at all but I can't cry when it's appropriate, i.e. funerals, etc.) I almost never wake up in the morning and jump right into my workout clothes ready to face a workout. It takes me quite a while to convince myself that getting off my butt might make me a little happier than lying in bed all day.

Remember that depression is not your fault. It is a genuine medical condition that can be dealt with through therapy and medication. I don't believe I will ever live without depression but the above two things have helped me more than I can say.

If you would like to talk more about your depression, you can email me at [email protected]. I can't check my email on weekends but I check it during the week. I would be happy to listen if you need someone's ear.

I hope this helps a little.

Becky

I am completely overwhelmed by all your compassion and concern. Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much reading all of your responses lifted my spirits. Yesterday, I made an appointment with M.D. and today I'm going to make an appointment with my therapist. Last night I made a list of the all of the things that make me happy and set some realistic goals for myself. Today I should be getting a bunch of new Cathe tapes...which I can't wait. Tonight I am going back to Weight Watchers and I will stick with the program and reach my goals! Again...thanks so much! I'll keep you guys posted and you keep me posted on your progress.

If you have been suffering for a while, I wonder if you have tried St John's Wort? Apparently, it is as effective as prescribed antidepressants, but without the side effects.

Keep talking about it with people (including the people here), as just sharing will help. Be kind to yourself - think of things that you enjoy doing, and do them. (I've read that you should treat yourself as you would your own child, and you wouldn't be hard on an unhappy child.)

Finally, if you don't have the energy to work out, try going for walks. Exercise doesn't have to be intense. Gentle exercise, such as walking, is great for lifting depression.

Sharon.

I've been battling depression my whole life. One thing that really helps me is. Ok maybe I can't drag myself up and do a workout, but as a friend told me. OK what can I do? If I can't get up and do 45 minutes of aerobics. Can I go for a walk for tem minutes? If not can I do abs for 5 minutes. Just make a smaller and smaller goal till you find one you can do. And when you achieve it. Brag on yourself, no matter how small the goal it is more than you thought you could do. My friend taught me this when she lost her job and held up in her house for weeks. Her husband said OK if you can't go look for a job what can you do. Can you send out a resume? No. Can you make one phone call? Finally she set the goal of walking to the corner and buying a paper. It took her two days. But then we were all proud of her. This may sound silly but it helps me.

Hey, folks-
I sent out an email today to each of you who gave your email addresses so we can talk to each other about this subject. If anyone else wants to give their email address, let me know and I'll add you to the list.
-Nancy

I would love to talk to you all about this. I'm 42 now, but have suffered from depression my whole life. I was put on medication about 8 years ago and have not come off it since. It truly has been a lifesaver for me...

Anyway, my email address is [email protected]

Thanks.

I know what you mean about setting small goals. Yesterday I had an appointment with the psychiatric nurse who prescribes my antidepressants. She wanted me to set up an appointment with another therapist who specializes in my abuse issues. When she asked me if I felt emotionally strong enough to make an appt., I burst into tears. She pointed out to me that when things seem insurmountable, it's ok to ask for help. Even with some little thing such as making an appointment. So a good small goal is to make a deal with yourself that when you don't feel strong enough to take care of yourself, you will ask for help. That doesn't require any real action on your part but it can make a huge difference in your life.

Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.