barbells vs dumbells

LeAnn

Can anyone tell me if I need a barbell if I already have dumbells? I've been lifting wieghts for awhile. Just wonder if I need to invest in a barbell. If so were do I start and at what wieght.

I just got a set of barbells a couple of weeks ago and I am happy that I did. I think the barbell keeps you steadier on the exercises where Cathe uses it. And you can make your weight heavier if you want. I got my set through the Wal Mart web site (from a reccomendation from another Cathe forum). It is a 55 lb set and it only about 50 dollars including shipping. It has worked out great so far.

Good Luck
;-)
Debra

Not Cathe-

I finally broke down a bought a barbell and yeah...it has made a big difference in my form. It's also nice to have the option to add/subtract weight for each particular exercise. I got my 100 lb. set from The Sports Authority for $45.00.

I use dumbbells, haven't worked up to a heavy enough weight yet where I absolutely have to have a barbell. I have adjustable dumbbells that go up to 15 lbs each or 30lbs on one. I will have to buy a barbell soon though. I really don't have the space. I always stay light on lower body -- maybe I can avoid buying a barbell then and just stick with dumbbells for upper body.

An advantage of barbells is that your work out will be much quicker, because you don't spend time changing the plates on the barbell. I like the convenience of just grabbing what I need. This is particularly so if you change the weight between sets of the same exercise and if you choose to speed things up more by switching back and forth between exercises. Today, e.g., I did three sets each of biceps curls and triceps kickbacks in the following order:
curls 10 lbs
kickbacks 10 lbs.
curls 20 lbs
kickbacks 15 lbs
curls 20 lbs
kickbacks 20 lbs
I start with lower weight in the first set to warm up the muscle. I alternate the exercises in order to save the minute or two of rest I would otherwise do between each set of the same exercise.
When I alternate, I try to do so between exercises of the opposing muscle groups. E.g. chest/back, deltoid/traps, biceps/triceps.

On the other hand, sometimes, to keep yourself interested in working out, you need to change things, e.g. the exercises, the routines. So switching back and forth between the barbells and the dumdbells may be one way to keep out of a rut, if that ever happens to you.

Good luck.

I LOVE MY BARBELL SET!!! A great investment of only $110 from Academy. It is a great asset to my hand weights. It makes a HUGE difference in squats, row, dead lifts and curls. Just another way to "shock" muscles. You won't be sorry, trust me!

I bought a barbell set and love it! I later bought just a bar so that there's less time spent changing plates btwn exercises. I'll keep one loaded heavy, one loaded moderate-light. It has worked out great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.