barbell weight suggested in videos

pjval

cathe,
just a question regarding the amount of weight you use on your barbells in the videos. When you say that you'll be using 40 lbs for squats, is that the plates plus the weight of the barbell?

I'm not sure how much my barbell alone weights, but once I put more than 40 lbs on, it kills my neck/upper back to hold it! Any suggestions?

Hi Pjval! Yes, I'm referring to the plates plus the weight of the barbell. If the weight is heavy due to discomfort of it pressing on the upper trap area you can try using a barbell pad to cushion the area. Most sporting good stores carry these for about $11. Good Luck!

Cathe, Thanks for the quick response! I started training with your videos after having my second son 5 months ago and have seen amazing results!

I hope your recovery is speedy! Thanks again!
Pam

Cathe,

Where can we buy a barbell similar to what you use in the videos (like the Pyramid DVD?). I am looking to add on to my home gym.

I started working out with your step DVD's 9 months ago after giving birth to my twins and I have to say, you ROCK! I am addicted to your DVD's and am hoping to hit the lottery so I can buy them all!

Cass

Hi Cass,

You can buy the Troy Lite™ Workout System with Quiet Iron™ Plates online at fitness1st.com for $49.95 + ~$30 shipping. (If you look under the Buyers Guide tab on this website you can see where Cathe talks about some of the equipment and clothing she uses/wears on her various workouts.)

Teresa

>Hi Cass,
>
>You can buy the Troy Lite™ Workout System with Quiet Iron™
>Plates online at fitness1st.com for $49.95 + ~$30 shipping.
>(If you look under the Buyers Guide tab on this website you
>can see where Cathe talks about some of the equipment and
>clothing she uses/wears on her various workouts.)
>
>Teresa

Teresa,

I looked on this site and did a search for the exact thing you mentioned but nothing. Am I missing something? I would love to order it today! (money burning a whole in my pocket!)

Thanks,
Cass

Teresa,

Sorry, I did find it! Do you have this system? If so, do you like it? Would love to get some feedback on it!

Cass

Hi Cass,

Here is the link ... http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html (and then scroll down when you are on that page). Yes, I have it and I really like it. I ordered it from fitness1st.com. They ship quickly. I would also suggest getting a bar wrap pad. I ordered the one they sell at power-systems.com and I like it. (I got the pro version.) Hope this helps! Good luck!

Teresa

Teresa,

Thanks! That helps a lot. Does the $50 barbell set include the weights that allow it to go up to 40lbs? Also, have you ordered more weights separately so you can increase beyond the 40lbs? (I think it said that the bar can handle 80lbs).

Cass

The barbell weighs 5 pounds and it comes with (2) 2.5# plates, (2) 5# plates and (2) 7.5 # plates. I eventually ordered (2) 10# plates and for now that's plenty for me.

Catherine

Cass,

The barbell weighs 5 pounds and it comes with (4) 2.5# plates, (2) 5# plates and (2) 7.5# plates ... for a total of 40# (including the bar). (I think Catherine answered this question.)

I see that she also got an additional 20# (2 10# plates). Right now, forty pounds is more than enough for me. I thought about getting 2 10# (for convenience) and some 1.25#, but then decided to wait. Instead, I bought some 12# and 15# neoprene dumbbells with my money. (I have a toddler who likes to workout with me so I try to get relatively child-friendly workout stuff and stuff that is just a heavier version of the 1#/2# version that he is using so that he feels he is using the "same" thing as I am.)

Teresa

Thanks Catherine and Teresa! I am very excited to purchase this set! Hope they get it to me fast. I am so impatient!

OK, putting the twins down for a nap and off to work Chest, Tri's and Abs, then some Cathe step!

Have a great day!
Cass

Have you ordered anything else with this company? Right now I am also looking for some afforable medicine balls (mostly for doing ab work).

Cass

I ordered the Troy 12# and 15# neoprene dumbbells from them. And they either shipped the same or next business day via UPS. Are you looking for medicine balls or toning balls? Amazon.com has some GoFit and Danskin toning balls (8# and 10#) with free shipping on $25 or more (don't know if they have medicine balls or not). I also don't know how Amazon's prices (w/o shipping) compare to Fitness 1st's (with shipping) because I never did a price comparison on these particular items.

Teresa

>I ordered the Troy 12# and 15# neoprene dumbbells from them.
>And they either shipped the same or next business day via UPS.
> Are you looking for medicine balls or toning balls?
>Amazon.com has some GoFit and Danskin toning balls (8# and
>10#) with free shipping on $25 or more (don't know if they
>have medicine balls or not). I also don't know how Amazon's
>prices (w/o shipping) compare to Fitness 1st's (with shipping)
>because I never did a price comparison on these particular
>items.
>
>Teresa

I am looking for soemthing similar to what Cathe uses in her CoreMax video. For doing oblique work...so probably just a few, like an 8 and a 10 lbs ball.

Not sure I know the difference b/t a toning ball and a medicine ball.
Cass

Hi Cass,

If that's what you are looking for, then you can use either a medicine ball or a weighted toning ball. It would just be personal preference. The only way that I can think to describe a medicine ball is it is like a weighted basketball (in terms of texture, not necessarily size) and a weighted toning ball is a softer (not firm), vinyl, sand and air filled ball. I use an 8# toning ball for Cathe's CoreMax video.

Teresa

Teresa,

I am thinking of the rubber or plastic like balls that come in various sizes/weights. This sounds like it might be more the toning balls you referred to. If so, where do you think the best option would be for purchasing?

Thanks so much for all your help! I am so excited about expanding on my home gym!
Cass

Cass,

Both the medicine balls and weighted toning balls come in various sizes and weights. I THINK the weighted toning balls only go up to 10# (I could be wrong though.). The medicine balls are covered in rubber (or leather for more expensive) and are textured (like a basketball for easier gripping). The weighted balls are vinyl covered and have some give because they are sand/air filled. I personally don't know if they make some newer medicine balls that also have some "give" to them.

I've only use the weighted toning balls and I like them because they are softer. It really is personal preference and some people probably like the medicine ball better. I guess it really depends on what type of grip you like, what you get used to and how much you want to spend. I think you would like either one of them.

Teresa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.