Back from the Dr's.

Lollie

Hi Cathe,

I went today for my annual GYN visit and I was weighed. I weighed 145!!!! :eek: I am having a real problem w/ this. First of all, how can I weigh so much when I am working out, cardio and weights 6 to 7 days a week depending on how I am feeling? I am 5'2" and I haven't weighed this much since 1 day after giving birth to my daughter 11 years ago.

I am broad anyway and I have noticed that I have gotten broader since doing weights especially in the past 12 months. I really don't lift heavy because I know I have a tendancy to bulk...I lift between 20 to 25 lbs for legs and 16 lbs for biceps/chest/ shoulders.

I rarely get on a scale. I watch my weight by how my clothes are fitting. I am still in a size 8 pants, my tops are 10/12. I am having a hard time w/ that number. I had very toned and developed legs before lifting ( from my years in ballet) and a naturally broad upper body. Before doing PS and MIS I occassionally did a light weight workout....My question for you, should I do a full body weight workout once a week, and cardio 6 days a week? I have all of your workouts. I ususally choose my workouts by how I am feeling....Maybe add more Interval workouts during the week?

Also the nurse practioner/midwife had me do a half sit up and she said I still have a little separation in my abs ( from the babies) She said by this time I should be closed completely since my youngest is 8. She suggested that I try new ab work. I told her I am doing a variety of different ab workouts...mostly the ones from your workouts. I may try having my feet on the step during the CTX ab work though. She said the separation is a little more common in African American women for some reason. I am African American and I have never heard that before... not saying it isn't true...but I may check that out.

That # is bothering me, I know it shouldn't, but it is. I am turning 40 this year, maybe that has something to do w/ it.
:-hmmm

Lollie,

It isn't clear whether you're unhappy with your body or just the number on the scale. To supplement Cathe's advice, check out Deborah Waterhouse's books. She'll help you understand why your body changes though I don't totally buy her message which is understand it & learn to live with it. Turning 40 was tough on me, not because of the age, but because of hormonal changes.
Debra

The number on the scale bothers me more then my body image, although I would like to be a little more leaner, not so muscular looking....And I'd rather be a 6 than an 8 :), but I have come to the conclusion a long time ago that 8 it is. I have seen some changes for me since I am getting closer to 40. I can't eat some of the same foods that I use to, they give me gas.
I am sure there will be other changes...But the # bothers me.

Hi Lollie! How did you feel about your body BEFORE you were told what you weighed? If you were fine with it, then I would suggest leaving your routine just as is, since it is probably not your rotation that has you down as much as the number on the scale (or the anticipation of turning 40).

But if you were unhappy with your physique even before you were told your weight, then you need to experiment with different workouts to see what you need to do to change what you are unhappy with. It is hard for me to give you advice here because I am not sure what it is exactly that you want to change. In some ways you sound very happy about your muscular physique (btw, you sound wonderfully fit to me)but it is only now that you heard the number that you no longer like your look. Am I right?

If you are already lifting with lighter weight and doing at least 5 cardio per week, then I would check over your diet carefully and make sure your selections and proportions do not outweigh your caloric output.

Also, if your body has a tendancy to bulk fairly quickly, then you may NOT want to overdue interval workouts, since they use a lot of explosive movements which can make legs that are prone to bulking react(this is just something to look into to and not the case for everyone).

I could be wrong, but to me you sound more under the weather about HEARING your weight rather than actually BEING overweight. What do loved ones around you say? Ask them to give you honest feeback about if they notice any weight gain on you. If it turns out that you're just feeling a little emotional these days about numbers going up (which we all go through from time to time) then try to shift your focus elsewhere. If its hard for you to do that on your own then pick up an inspiring book to help you through this time.

As for your abdominal separation, Sheila Watkins is our prenatal/postpartum expert. She had this to say to a new mom about separated abs. I realize that you are no longer a new mother but it may be a book that could be helpful to you. Or perhaps you want to email Sheila directly (her email is [email protected]) Good luck and as the song goes "(singing)....put a smile on your face" :D Big hugs to you!!!

Sheila wrote to another new mom:

Yes, there is hope for your abs! First of all, what exercises are you doing for your abs? You should be eliminating all rotational oblique work as this encourages further separation. Also, are you turning around in the car to check on your baby? Unfortunately, that type of movement is also rotation and will encourage separation as well.

I would highly recommend that you purchase
"Essential Exercises For the Childbearing Year" by Elizabeth Noble. (Elizabeth Noble is the founder of the OB/Gyn section of the American Physical Therapy Associaion). Her entire book focuses primarily on the abdominals and pelvic floor during the childbearing year. It contains postpartum rehab exercises for the abs and pelvic floor that really work. It has been my "bible" since starting my program over 13 years ago.

As for the line..... it should fade in time. I cannot tell you exactly how long it will take to go away in your case. Everyone is different.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Sheila Watkins

Hi Cathe,

You know I think it is combination of both. Before I went to the Dr. I noticed that I had become "thicker, bulkier". I talked to my husband about it and he noticed it a little too. His suggestion was to watch my food intake. He says the food I eat is fine, but I am a snacker. BUT, I snack on healthy foods, like fruits and veggies. Anyway, he did point out that I was closer to 40 then 35. Yes, the 40 thing bothers me, not so much the age like Debra, but just the changes in my body.

You know, the separation in my abs muscles puzzles me a little. Two years ago, when I arrived in Korea, my abs were tighter....It has just been in the past year that I see the change. I checked out the book Fit for Life and I am going to try that for 6 weeks. And just add more Cardio and Less weights.

Cathe, thanks for the info on the abs and I think I will email Sheila too.

Lollie :)

Once I get to Italy, I think I will probably feel alot Better. :)

Hi Rhonita! I asked the exact same question the first time I heard of this term. It is actually referred to by the technical name of Diastasis Recti, and is a condition that can occur with pregnant woman. Sheila answered this for another pregnant poster in the pregnancy forum. Here is what Sheila wrote:

Diastasis Recti

As a quick review, the rectus abdominis is the outermost abdominal muscle, which attaches from the top of the ribs to the pubic bone. It is composed of two halves called recti that are normally about a half an inch apart. The two recti are joined by a fibrous band of connective tissue or central seam known as the linea alba. The hormones of pregnancy cause the linea alba to soften. This is why women notice a “thicker” waistline early in their pregnancies. This softening coupled with the increased pressure from the growing baby may actually cause the two recti to separate around the area of the navel, somewhat like a zipper separating under stress. The onset of diastasis recti may be gradual or sudden (Ex. During a bout of coughing or during labor). During pregnancy, a gap or bulge is often noticed in the seam when the head and shoulders are raised. This is the “telltale” sign of a diastasis. Women sometimes find their diastases when they are rising out of bed and notice the bulge.

I have 2 children, my youngest one is 10 years old. I have had diastasis since his birth. I thought there wasn't anything I could do about it. Do you think it is to late to try certain ab exercises? If so which ones?

Thanks, Debbie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.