Back From The Doc's...Its A .......

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-99 AT 05:47PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi everyone! Starting this month I will be giving a pregnancy update every two weeks. I wanted to wait until the middle of this month to start "reporting" because I knew I would be having an ultrasound on August 16th(see the ultrasound pics below if you want to know the gender before reading on). Normally they like to wait until you're around 20 weeks(so I'm told)to do this "check on development" type of ultrasound, however, since I was undecisive as to whether to have an amnio or not, they scheduled my ultrasound sooner. Although my doctor was not forcing me to have an amnio, he was recommending it because of my age, 35, which is the age at which the risks increase for having a Down Syndrome baby. My husband and I had talked it over and decided to not go through with the amnio test, however, we did still go through with the ultrasound.

ULTRASOUND FINDINGS(here come my goose bumps again).......I was so curious to finally see our baby. They slopped some warm lubricant on my belly, turned the screen toward my husband and I, and began the procedure. Although we had told them that we would like to know the gender if they could see it, they had really made it a point of letting us know that it might not be possible since I am not at the 20 week mark yet. Eyes glued on the screen and three seconds later, there was this BEAUTIFUL baby. This little "bugger" was active(probably because I had just finished a kickbox class one hour prior to the visit)and they said that if "it" holds still maybe they can locate the sex. This baby was throwing right and left jabs, tossing and turning, and just having a good ole' time swimming around. They said that they think we will get very lucky in finding out the gender because the picture was crystal clear. The baby is exactly 17 weeks old and has 10 healthy toes, fingers, a nicely developed spine, brain and kidney ect., also a great shot of the four chambers of the heart beating quite rapidly, and even a clear shot of a full bladder(hmmm, maybe thats the reason for all of the activity). All of the sudden the doctor hit a button and said "OOOOP, okay do you want to know the sex?" Of course we squeezed hands and said "yes". He said its a .......BOY(as if all of you couldn't already tell that from the ultrasound pictures, hee hee)! Wow, what a great shot we have of "it" too. There is no mistaking that! My husband and I both agreed that we had no preference and just wished for a healthy baby, however, judging by my husbands reaction when we got home, I think I was the only one who truly meant that. You should have seen him dancing around the house going "its a boy", as he shot his arms straight up in the air, as if scoring a winning goal, and beating his chest like a wild ape. I cracked up(and cried in happiness too!). We are just soooo thrilled about our new baby "to soon fully be" boy.

As far as my mental/physical development up to now goes, I still don't look overly pregnant. I find some days I look much more pregnant than others. Certain clothes can really enhance a pregnant look. Also, some days I hold so much more fluid. My breasts are getting even fuller than a few weeks back. I am getting on and off back pain and I experienced a very strange abdominal spasm for the first time a few days ago. I was told it was either a Braxton Hicks(sp?)or spasms due to the rapid stretching of the abdominal area. My veins are becoming more apparent around my breasts and abdomen. I am starting to see hints of stretch marks around my breasts too. I have not had any crazy cravings but I do like to eat constantly. The latest foods that I seem to be grabbing most often are pasta and a vanilla ice cream cone. I only feel nauseous every once in a while now. Nothing on a constant basis. I dont know if I have covered everything for you. Feel free to ask away if there is something you would like to know. The next pregnancy update will be in early September. Thanks for allowing us to share our wonderfull news with you
happy.gif
happy.gif
!!!

Here is a brief description of the three pictures. 1) A profile of our beautiful little one pound baby boy(haven't picked a name yet)! 2) A typical "diaper changing" view of our little "squirt"(I've been warned to change little boys diapers quickly . 3) Our little baby boy is certainly not camera shy, even at this young under developed stage.

ultrasound1.jpg

Woo Hoo!!!

Congrats Cathe!

I'm so thrilled for you! And it's so great that you were able to find out the sex since you wanted to know (although, you certainly tortured us by waiting to tell until 1/2 way through your message!!!).

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well and that you are feeling good.

m.
EDD 12/24 w/#1

It's a boy!!!!!

How exciting, Cathe!!I still remember the ultrasound that told us the sex of our girl: we were high-fiving and just on cloud nine: everybody in my husband's family (brother and cousins - who also were all boys) had had boys! So, we did the impossible
happy.gif
It's also so amazing to see how complete the little critter is so early in its development.Actually, at this stage you get the best viewing of the whole baby, later they get so big they don't fit on the screen!I had tons of ultrasounds, because I had a huge fibroid and placenta previa, which they were monitoring, so I have them at all stages of development.Sorry, I'm telling you so much about ME; it's just that your excitement brought back the feelings I had 5 years ago.I'm very happy for you and your husband
happy.gif
Marianne

Hi Marianne!

By all means, please do share. I love to hear of everyones own personal excitement due to their own experiences.

Hi Michelle!

A huge congrats to you too. I love your baby spina website. I've been meaning to get back to you. I'll e-mail soon. Take Care and lots of luck with everything!

Yay! Congratulations!

I've been checking this forum quite often the past couple of days waiting for your update! I'm so excited for you guys! I have a 20 month old baby boy, and I just can't tell you how wonderful little boys are! I was actually only 16 weeks when I had my first ultrasound, and they were able to determine the sex right away--he was having erections during the ultrasound! He was also doing "baby aerobics". I can still remember that day as if it were yesterday. Reading your post makes me feel so ready to have another baby. My husband and I will start trying again in November or December. I do hope to have a girl this time so I will have one of each, but know that I will be super happy if my next one does turn out to be another little boy. I just couldn't imagine my life without Connor. I wish I could put into words how much a parent loves their child, and how many emotions course through your body when you think about your child. I am so very proud of him, and love him more than I ever thought I could love. Not that I don't love my husband with every fiber of my being--it's just so different. So nurturing and protective. It's raw, pure, and unconditional. It's AWESOME!

I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations!

WOW!

As I wipe away my own tears, I have to tell you that I had my own goose bumps while reading your post. Of course, I also have this mental image of your husband and his jubilant antics.

Thank You so much, Cathe for sharing your pregnancy with us. I am in the process of trying to get pregnant and this forum is certainly easing my apprehensions.

Hi Stacey!

Wow, another boy. It seems like almost everyone I come across is having a boy
happy.gif
. I like the name Conner. We are still going over a bunch of names. Your post really makes me look forward to experiencing motherhood. Best of luck with everything!

Oh Cathe!!

I am practically BAWLING here! What a wonderful and exciting moment!! I remember finding out that my #2 was a girl, suddenly Joseph Addison became Sarah Elizabeth! And her big sister was so thrilled! Oh, it is so special, those wee helpless babies are so precious. Don't ever take a normal pregnancy and baby for granted! Enjoy EVERY minute and appreciate every miracle! Have you felt your little guy move yet? Surely so! Isn't that something?? Oh, just wait until the first moment when you HOLD that slimy squirt in your arms! When they hear your voice and stop crying to look at you that first time, you think your chest is going to just burst! Pregnancy is like an emotional IntervalMax, your heart is expanding figuratively instead of literally, sometimes you think you can't STAND it! Oh my, you are bringing back such special memories. Children are truly such a blessing! Even when they take off their diaper to poop on the closet floor! (I'm thinking I should paper train this girl and forget the potty thing! When she goes to kindergarten she can take a newspaper in her backpack). -susan p

Oh, and that middle picture!

Cathe, I remember when we had our ultrasound with my second daughter, the ultrasound tech said "ooh, there are those hamburger buns!" We had a perfect frontal genital view and it DEFINITELY looked like a hamburger bun! She said "it's a classic girl look, you can't mistake it". ha! Your little guy is not a shy one! -susan p

Hi Susan!

Your post got me crying again, until the part about pooping on the closet floor. Then I cracked up. Thanks for posting! Oh, btw, I'm not sure if I have felt the baby move or not. I feel things at times but it could just be a rumble in my tummy.

Yay, Cathe!

How wonderful--a baby boy! I just LOVE the ultrasound pictures you posted! Sounds like the little one was really showing off for the camera. I love the different views--*everything* (hehe) is so clear! I really like the last picture, when he is looking straight at you. I'm sure you loved seeing him wiggle all around! Did you happen to get a video of the ultrasound? My son (now almost 6) gets a kick when we pull his video and "first pictures" out every once in awhile. Of course, now he's "big" and has a missing front tooth, so he's not a baby anymore
sad.gif
. They grow so fast! One thing my husband and I did on the day my daughter (our second) was born--we both wrote an account of our experience with the labor and the birth. It's amazing how fast you forget the little details you think you'll always remember, and it's also very funny to see how each other's perceptions of the event differ! I'm so happy for you and Jon--enjoy!!!

Kristin Aziz

Thanks Kristin!

Actually, I wasn't even aware that we could get a copy of the ultrasound video. Thats a neat thing to do. Thanks for sharing!

boys!!

Hi Cathe:
As the mom of three boys, my youngest will be one year old Friday the others are 9 and 11, may I say delight in all the male company that has been afforded you!! You are blessed indeed.
Rachel

Congratulations Cathe

When I went for my Ultrasound, we thought all the pictures were blurry because we kept seeing double outlines. Until halfway through my pregnancy when the doctor called us in and said "you're carrying Twins". Now I have 2 of the most precious one-year old creatures in the world. Can't say enough about Motherhood.

Wow Cathe!!!!

How neat! Congratulations. I heard from Mandy Lee at VF the pictures were here and wow he's a boy. I had a boy the first time too. Well now I'm just jabbering but congratulations to you and your husband!! :)

Steph

Congrats!!!!

Oh Cathy that is wonderful!! I have two boys (13 and 14). Boys are such wonderful fun. I can't wait until mine get into weights. We will be able to lift together! HA! My oldest already told me he wants biceps like mine.

Lannette

he looks perfect!

Hi Cathe
Congratulations! It is so nice that you are sharing your pregnancy in detail like this for us - we are all so thrilled and excited for you and Jon. My oldest son (I have three) has a January 14th birthday and wants your son to be born the same day! I remember during that pregnancy that August was the month I really started to pop out - a lot of people commented on my "growth" by the end of the month. Glad you are doing so well - thanks for the update - looking forward to the next. Boys are wonderful!!!
Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.