Baby turned breech at 40 weeks

Winter

Cathlete
Grrrr. My due date was yesterday so I had an U/S and doc appt and was kind of shocked to find out the baby turned breech from last Thursday's doc appt. Now I have to decide pretty quickly if I want to try to turn her. The success rate is less than 30% from what I understand. If successful I would have to be induced right away. That may not work either.

My other option is to schedule a c section with out trying to turn her. Earlier in pregnancy I didn't think a C section would be a big deal but now faced with a decision I am worried about a blood clot which is remote. Also I was all ready to be at home with baby and SO bonding and just hanging out with very limited visitors for awhile. I do have help if I need it after a c section but really don't want others at my house.

It is more likely than not that I will end up with a C section anyway. If I wasn't worried about a blood clot I would go that direction versus trying to turn her and all that goes along with that.

Am I worrying about a blood clot too much??

This is my first baby and maybe my last as I am 38 and 9 months is a long time....

Any word of encouragement is appreciated.

Winter

Hi Winter,

Just wanted to share my own experience. My daughter turned breech at 33 weeks, so quite a bit earlier than your baby. I tried to get her turned, which was a fairly major procedure - I was admitted to hospital and they had to do blood tests, get me hooked up to an IV and prepped for surgery, so they could do an emergency C-section if necessary. Well, after much effort by my doctor and some discomfort (although not terrible) on my part, the turning was complete. I was very relieved - until, on the way home, I stretched and arched my back, and I felt my little one whip back around and in an instant, her head was back up at my ribcage. My doctor told me that babies definitely have a preferred position and that's the reason for a lot of the turning failures. Having gone through the experience, I don't think I would do it again -- more because of the annoyance factor of wasting an entire day at the hospital than anything else. However, with your baby being so close to being born, it may make sense for them to try to turn her and induce the birth before she can turn around again.

I did end up having a C-section and it wasn't as terrible as I'd imagined. I had a hard time moving around for 3 or 4 days, but after that it wasn't too bad and I healed well (thanks to Cathe for keeping me in such good shape during my pregnancy). Having had prior knee surgery, I was at risk for a blood clot but I had to put that out of my mind as I didn't really have a choice about the C-section. I was an older first-time mom (41 when my daughter was born) which also raised my risk. But we both came through it OK and she is 8 1/2 now.

Good luck with whatever you decide and remember, the chances are overwhelmingly good that you will come through it just fine!

Stebby

Winter,
Oh, that's SO frustrating!!! I never had a baby in breech position, but I've had two c-sections. To help prevent a clot from forming, the nurses put these compression "things" on each leg. They compressed electronically throughout the first 24 hours after the surgery. I felt so much better knowing those were on to help the blood keep flowing when I had to be in the bed. The dr's and nurses are pretty adamant about getting a c-section patient out of bed the next morning to help get things moving along as well.
Hopefully things work out for you. But, in case they don't, you should be fine! I'll be thinking about you!!!
-Jen

Jen and stebby,

Thank you so much for responding. It just feels so good to have read others stories. I decided on a C section. It is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I am glad it is so soon so I don't have a lot of time to worry about it. It will go just fine. Just go and get it done with.

Again thank you for your response. It has helped a lot!

Winter

Winter,
This is my first pregnancy but I think I would go w/C/S. Also, I am a NP in the inpatient setting. I would suggest that you get up and moving around early (when you are cleared by staff), this will reduce the risk of DVT (clot). DVT's happen, but more so (higher risk) for patients who are bed bound or have limited mobility. You should be fine : )
Melanie

A little late on posting this ... but thought I'd share as well. I find it's always nice to hear about others who have been in the same boat. :)

I was 3 days from my due date and my daughter was head down. A week later (4 days overdue) she was breech. My doctor tried to do an aversion and wasn't successful. So c-section it was. This was 2004 by the way.

Since then I have gone on to have 2 other children (both successful vbacs). So do know that there is a chance for a vaginal birth (if you choose to have another). Depends on your hospital and doctor though. And women who have a breach baby are THE best candidate to have a successful vbac.

Wishing you an easy and fast recovery from your c-section! Hold off on the laughter... it makes the incision hurt so much more. ;) You'll be up and moving around in no time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.